Mac OS

Question

Cyber Defender or Clean My Mac?

by LolaAngell33 / February 17, 2012 8:51 AM PST

I have "Clean My Mac" v. 1.9.3 and have used it a couple of times. I see no visible improvement in speed or performance. My main gripe is when I type a message in my e-mail (provided by my server Quest) it takes several seconds for the letters to appear. Also, when watching videos such as on YouTube there are many instances of hesitation. Is there a program such as "Cyber Defender" for the Mac or does someone have other suggestions. I'm still running 10.4.11.

Hardware Overview: Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core Duo Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB Memory: 512 MB Bus Speed: 667 MHz Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08 SMC Version: 1.1f5

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to edit out the serial number on 02/18/2012 at 10:18 PM PT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cyber Defender or Clean My Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cyber Defender or Clean My Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For me, a clean mac and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2012 9:01 AM PST

Well 2 or more GB RAM is all I ever needed. I have never used those titles or even an antivirus on an Apple to date and they work very well.

I wonder if someone installed some cleaner or antivirus and slowed the machine down?
Bob

Collapse -
I made the plunge to MacBook Pro
by LolaAngell33 / February 23, 2012 6:05 AM PST

Somewhere down the line I saw a note that suggested I post any more info to the original inquiry...., so.... We were visiting two of my children yesterday which happened to be just 40 some miles from the Apple store. We (John, my future husband and I) went in, talked to a nice young man and I bought a 17" MacBookPro with 3 years support and a one year "One to One Membership." They set it up so we were able to play around with it a bit in the motel room. I don't know whether to buy a cable and transfer my data or to wait until Quicken comes out with their new version. I have not had it out of the box since we got home and don't even know if we have wireless service where we live.... kind of out in the country. I know I could hook it up to our provider, I suppose. I was a bit surprised that I had to buy the "Pages" and "Keynote" programs. I thought they came with my iMac. It was no big deal, $20 each, it's just the idea. And then to find it was "assembled in China." Is nothing sacred anymore? I will keep you posted, and look forward to any comments.

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Good for you!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 7:36 AM PST

the plunge has been taken and now there will be no stopping you.

Go ahead and buy the cable, transfer everything and then, if Intuit ever get their act together, get Quicken and you will be good to go.
All your old Quicken files will already be on the Macbook Pro.

Wireless coverage in your house will be provided by you!
If you have DSL, ask you local provider for a wireless modem/router.
If you have Cable, you could ask them but they do not yield quite as well as the Phone company.
If you fail to get one from either of those sources, you will need a wireless router that will go between your modem and your computers.

Pages and Keynote are not included with anything anymore and just about anything electronic is assembled in China.

Enjoy the new machine.

P

Collapse -
Ever heard of "Linksys?"
by LolaAngell33 / February 23, 2012 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: Good for you!

I sometimes get a pop-up stating that none of my trusted wireless connections could be found, "do you want to join Linksys?" Ever heard of it?

So...... if I transfer my data, will a copy remain on my old iMac so I can keep my Quicken records current? And, if I do add to them on my iMac, how will I get them over to the "Pro" later?

I will check into getting the cable mentioned in an earlier post for around $5.00.

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Linksys is the name of a company
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 8:37 PM PST

who make Routers, wireless and wired.

If that wireless signal is not coming from your house, then one of your neighbors has a wireless network which your Mac is picking up.
If it has a little padlock next to it, you will need a password to connect to it. It's a security thing.
Take a look at the Wireless icon (the fan shaped thing) in the menu bar. Just click on it and it will show you all the wireless networks that it can see.

When you decide to get your own wireless router, you will see the name of whatever you decide to call your network, in the menu bar

Yes a copy will remain on the old machine

P

Collapse -
I guess I don't understand..
by LolaAngell33 / February 24, 2012 3:50 AM PST

I will look at it more closely the next time I see it. I think it usually appears when I restart my iMac. (I do remember that it said "open wireless network.) I guess I don't understand what all is involved in going wireless. I thought the wireless signals were out there for anyone to use as we did at the motel. All we had to do was join.

And, are you suggesting that I say "yes" the next time it comes up?

The wireless icon (the fan shaped thing) is located in what menu bar?

So, I have to get my own wireless router? Where? At what cost?

How secure is wireless web browsing? I know I'm a pain in the neck.....

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Wireless Networks.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 8:02 AM PST

Unfortunately, wireless signals are not "just out there" to be enjoyed by all, gratis.

Even in your hotel, someone was footing the bill for the internet access that you enjoyed during your stay there. The cost was factored into your bill.

At the top of the screen, no matter what application you are running, you will find the Menu Bar. It is anchored by the Apple menu at the left hand end and the Spotlight icon at the right end.
With no applications running, you will see, left to right, the Apple menu, Finder, File, Edit, View, Go, Window & Help
At the right hand end you will see a magnifying glass, your name, and a few other things.

Open System preferences, it's in the dock, and go to Network.
Click on Wi-Fi in the left hand column
In the right hand column, click in the box next to "Show Wi-Fi Status in the Menu Bar"
Now on the left side of the screen, in the menu bar, you will see a Fan shaped icon. Click it and you will see things relating to Wi-Fi and a list of all the Wi-Fi networks that your Macbook can see.
Any that do not have a padlock on them, are open. OK for surfing but offer no protection at all.
Ones with padlocks require a password to join them.

More about wireless in the next post

P

Collapse -
How about we take this conversation off the forum?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless Networks.

to avoid bloating the thread with information that was not part of the original question.

Click on my name. This will take you to my profile.
From there, click on the Email Me button and send me an email.

We can continue this via email.

P

Collapse -
I guess I don't understand
by anjb3741 / March 17, 2012 8:19 AM PDT

Old Granny Lola, I feel for you for I am also one of those as a matter of fact and Old Great Granny. Don't give up keep on looking and you'll find the help and ansers you need right here. Good luck I'm following you on this forum to learn as you are, at the same time. Kill 2 birds with on stone. Another Oldy but Goody

Collapse -
I'm "hangin'
by LolaAngell33 / March 18, 2012 5:53 AM PDT

and not about to give up... the "guys" on this forum are the very best. Thanks for the encouragement.

(I have 10 great grandchildren.)

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
She didn't give up,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 18, 2012 12:35 PM PDT

just moved her conversation off forum, is all.

P

Collapse -
Answer
Your problem
by Jimmy Greystone / February 17, 2012 10:55 PM PST

Your problem is quite simply that your Mini is showing its age. You have an old Core Duo CPU making it the first gen x86 Mini, and you also only have 512MB of RAM on it. All the sofware in the world isn't going to change the fact that your hardware is just not up to the challenge anymore. If you had someone put in an additional 512MB of RAM that would go a long ways towards helping, but still wouldn't likely be enough long term.

The cold hard truth here is that you've had your system for 5-6 years now, and it's time for a new one. Or at least a new used one.

Finally, while there's really no chance of your unit being under warranty of any kind given its age, it's generally a bad idea to post the serial number on a public forum like this. Think of it like a credit card number, bank account number, even social security number. You just don't go broadcasting those things widely.

Collapse -
And before I forget
by Jimmy Greystone / February 17, 2012 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Your problem

And before I forget a second time... Programs that claim to speed up your computer, just as a general rule, are all scams. Doesn't even matter if it's for a Mac, Windows, or anything else, still a scam. Best case scenario, they do nothing, but a lot of times they just make things worse. They are absolutely best avoided.

Collapse -
Danged Forum
by LolaAngell33 / February 18, 2012 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: And before I forget

I had a response all typed and think it went off into cyberspace because I had indicated the answer to my question was "helpful." I will try to redo it. I know my system is a bit antiquated. The nearest Apple dealer is almost 300 miles away. We have a pc shop nearby that says they can order me a new Mac, but, I hesitate to do that because they sold me a WD external hard drive that does not work.... at least I think that's what it is. I did install Norton AntiVirus and Norton Confidential about a year ago and when I renewed my subscription a few days ago, they included Norton Firewall. Is anyone suggesting that I disable all the Norton stuff?

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Your problem - New
by LolaAngell33 / February 18, 2012 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Your problem

Thanks to all for the advice.... I am aware that my system is a bit ancient and needs to be upgraded. The nearest Apple dealer is almost 300 miles away. We have a pc repair shop nearby that claims they can order a new Mac for me, but I'm hesitant to do that. They sold me and installed a WD external backup device that does not work. I know I could order online, but being so un-savvy about computers I know I would mess it up. I have always gone to an Apple dealer and had them transfer my data from my old to my new Mac. I have to admit that I did install Norton AntiVirus and Norton Confidential about a year ago and with my renewal a few days ago, they included "Norton Firewall." I'm guessing my problems may have started about a year ago. Is anyone suggesting that I disable Norton all together?

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
You could
by Jimmy Greystone / February 18, 2012 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: Your problem - New

You could just order direct from Apple and have it shipped to you. I know we often kind of get stuck in certain norms for our respective generations, and you are likely from an age when you pretty much just went to a nearby store and bought whatever, so it may not even occur to you to think about ordering online until someone like myself mentions it.

Anyway, you can get rid of Norton software and that will definitely help. It may not help a lot, but it will definitely help some. On a system like yours, you need every scrap of resources you can get, and Norton is just taking up some of those resources for no particularly good reason.

Collapse -
You could
by LolaAngell33 / February 19, 2012 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: You could

I am aware that I could order online.... I do for simple things like clothes, books, etc., but for me to consider purchasing a new iMac online and getting all my stuff transferred over is terrifying.

You are correct, I am 79 years old and consider myself lucky to be able to find my way around in the simple things. For instance, how do I "get rid" of Norton? I am going to cancel my subscription. If you see fit to try to help me, I will need simple instructions in "baby steps."

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
In the meantime,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2012 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: You could

Apple has made it very easy for you to transfer everything from your old Mac to your new one.

Collapse -
In the meantime - new
by LolaAngell33 / February 20, 2012 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: In the meantime,

OK, I have uninstalled Norton thanks to your instructions and have decided to jump into the pond and order a new Mac online (trusting that your statement that Apple has made it very easy to transfer my data is true).

I am looking at the MacBook Pro 17 inch, 2.4 GHz. Here's where I need some help. Does anyone know how stable Lion is and will there be a problem with me upgrading from Tiger?
I want to "load it to the hilt" with memory, etc. that will make it run like a deer. I presently have quite a bit of music, videos and photos. This will probably be my last Mac purchase, so, to heck with the cost..... within reason, that is.

I have some software programs that probably will not be compatible with the new OS, such as "Reunion" v. 8.06 (a genealogy program purchased around 2004-05) and "Quicken Personal Finance 2007 for Mac." I'm sure the new versions of these would be incompatible with my 10.4.11. What would you recommend here?

I'm shaking in my boots both from fear and anticipation.

You guys are the greatest,

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Shouldn't be a problem
by Jimmy Greystone / February 20, 2012 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: In the meantime - new

Shouldn't be a problem. It's not like because you get a new computer the old one stops working. Keep the old Mini around for those few programs you can't upgrade or run on Lion, but then just move all other activities to the new laptop. Worst case scenario you can't import anything from the Mini and make a fresh start with the new laptop.

As for Lion's stability, it's as good, or better, than Tiger. IMO, I'm not a fan of the "iOS-ification" that is taking place starting with Lion. I would like to see Apple go in the opposite direction, and really leverage the unique qualities of mobile and fixed (including laptops) platforms, rather than try and race to some kind of lowest common denominator between the two. I'm probably in the minority though.

Anyway, the one major thing you need to know about Lion, and presumably all versions of Mac OS X going forward, is that there's no longer any restore media to come with the system. Instead there's a special recovery system built right into the firmware of the computer that allows you to download the OS again should you need to. Another change I'm not overly pleased with, but not much I can do except to make you aware of it so you don't spend a lot of time hunting around inside the box for it. It's also something to consider if you don't have a broadband Internet connection. It's just one of the assumptions Apple makes about its users now.

One final little tip, is that if you don't already have some basic ethernet cable around, there's no need to pay the extortionist rates most places want to charge. Something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020806&p_id=2139&seq=1&format=2 will do you just fine, and shouldn't cost you more than probably $5 shipped.

Collapse -
Ain't no way - new
by LolaAngell33 / February 20, 2012 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Shouldn't be a problem

There is no way I want to deal with having my stuff on two separate computers.... that doesn't sound at all reasonable to me. I almost think I would rather struggle along with this old iMac. For one thing, I use my Quicken for all of my financial files including my checking account and I balance it out at the end of each statement period. My Reunion file has my genealogy back into the 1500's on some of my ancestors. I shall talk to the folks at Reunion to see if they know whether I can transfer my records..... same with Quicken. And, who wants to start from scratch again? Certainly not me, been there, done that with some of my files, although not with the two mentioned above.... it was not fun. Surely someone has upgraded successfully from something similar to what I have. If so, please give me some encouragement.

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

p.s. thanks Mr. Macfixit, I can always count on you.

Collapse -
It is certain that Quicken does
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2012 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Ain't no way - new

not run on Lion, the OS that will come with your new machine.

Collapse -
My Reunion has a version that will run on LION
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2012 10:15 PM PST

It is Version 9.0 and is available, as a download, for the princely sum of $64.95

Their website is www.leisterpro.com

Version 8 or lower will NOT run on your new machine.

If your version is earlier than version 5, then you will have to send your data files to the company to be converted to the new, version 6 and above, format.

That help?

P

Collapse -
Reunion v. 9
by LolaAngell33 / February 21, 2012 12:24 AM PST

I ordered the cd yesterday..... as with Quicken, I can wait. I have v. 8.06. Will v. 9 work with OSX 10.4.11? If not, I hope it will be possible to transfer everything over when I get my new machine.

Collapse -
Yes, Version 9 will work with the old machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Reunion v. 9

but you will be transferring the Reunion files from the old to the new as part of the initial setup procedure

P

Collapse -
Quicken will not run on Lion
by LolaAngell33 / February 21, 2012 12:20 AM PST

I checked it out and they (Quicken) promise one that will "soon." I have subscribed to a list that will keep me informed as to when. I can wait.... no big hurry.

Collapse -
Looking forward to hearing how you get on
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2012 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: In the meantime - new

with the new machine. Just remember that we are only a post away, should you need help

Collapse -
by kjomputer / February 25, 2012 6:46 AM PST

I am not a Mac user and I cannot offer anything useful here, but...

I simply HAD to say that this thread is one of the most wonderful, human, and heart-warming forum conversations I've read in quite a while.

Congratulations mrmacfixit and Jimmy Greystone on your patience and kindness.
Thank you for this proof that humanity is not going to hell (at least not yet).

And best of luck to LolaAngell33!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.