Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

CWShredder(new)V2.0 - Warning

by Marianna Schmudlach / October 24, 2004 2:32 AM PDT

Warning: Testers from several security forums are reporting issues with the new CWShredder. It is recommended to use the original program until further notice.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CWShredder(new)V2.0 - Warning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CWShredder(new)V2.0 - Warning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CWShredder(new)V2.0 - Warning
by roddy32 / October 24, 2004 2:56 AM PDT

Thanks Marianna
I didn't see on that link as to him saying not to use the new version(unless I missed that LOL), it's the only version that I have but he recommended a very small smartkiller tool which I downloaded and ran and it says I'm OK. I still have a periodic problem with the new version closing occasionally but when I run it a second time, it works fine and says I'm clean. but I already talked to Donna about it and did what she said including Hijack This and I don't have any problems. I think it is just a glitch with the new version. I can still run Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc. and everything is fine.

Collapse -
CWShredder v1.59.1 download
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 24, 2004 3:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: CWShredder v1.59.1 download
by roddy32 / October 24, 2004 3:30 AM PDT

Should I uninstall version 2.0 first Marianna? There is nothing in the Control Panel in programs to uninstall but it's in the Intermute folder so should I just go there and delete that first?

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 24, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

Roddy,

I would get rid of the Intermute folder first -

Then browse to the C:\documents and settings\\User Name (repeat for all users)\local settings\temp folder and delete all files and folders in it.
Then browse to the C:\Windows\Temp folder and delete all files in it.
Then in internet explorer click tools>internet Options>General. Click on Delete Files make sure you get all offline content as well.

Then make a new folder and call it cwshredder1.59.1 and unzip cwshredder in it.

Seems there are MORE people having problems with the new version.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / October 24, 2004 3:41 AM PDT

Just delete the following Roddy:

c:\documents and settings\profilename\Desktop\Cwshredder.lnk
c:\program files\intermute\spysubtract\cwshredder.exe
c:\program files\intermute\spysubtract\imreport.exe

Grinler confirmed that it does not add any registry keys or create other files

See Grinlers' post about it in here

Collapse -
Alternate download cwshredder 1.59.1
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 24, 2004 4:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Alternate download cwshredder 1.59.1
by roddy32 / October 24, 2004 4:36 AM PDT

Marianna and Donna
I did as both of you suggested and deleted all the cwshedder files where necessary and used the download for version 1.59.1 from PC World, closed everything up and ran the shredder 5 or 6 times. It works fine and it no longer closes like the version 2.0 was doing which we spoke about a couple of days ago Donna. That is another one of the glitches in the new version besides the hidden_dll one. One thing good came out of this though. I now have Hijack This installed and know how to use it in case I ever need it, although I hope that never happens. LOL Once again, I have to thank both of you for your expert help. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Grinler , if he happens to read this for his help with both CWShedder and the GDI+ tool. I think you have all helped more people than you know. I have learned a great deal since I joined CNET a few months ago. I have CHF and am no longer able to work after 40 years of fixing cars and I have extra time and enjoy learning things here and offering my help whenever the subject happens to be something I'm familiar with but I will try to stay out of your way when I do. LOL
Thanks again
Roddy32 Grin
PS: I assume that we should wait until we are notified that everything is fixed before we use the update button the version 1.59.1.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / October 24, 2004 4:48 AM PDT

You're welcome Roddy! Glad we can be of assistance Happy

That is another one of the glitches in the new version besides the hidden_dll one.

Yes, it is obvious that there is glitch in some users (over here no problem using and system came up clean) <-- this is based on reports (yours and see dlhan post earlier here in Cnet and in Calendar of Updates link that I provided earlier and in many security forums. We will see many links here if we will name there LOL.)

Not sure if anyone contacted Intermute about it but I did today by letting them of the "glitch". All I get is an Referene # of my feedback to them and they said I'll hear from them within 1-2 business days Grin
It does not matter to me (the answer from them). All I tried is to let them know (if none report it yet) about the glitch and I gave them all the links I could find that has users report so they won't say there is no glitch Happy

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 24, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

I'm hoping that Intermute didn't buy CWshedder so they eventually could start charging for it. LOL. This computer isn't very old and it came with trial versions installed from intermute for popsubstract, spysubtract and spamsubstract. I tried the popsubstract and didn't like it at all. I use the one on the Google Toolbar instead, which I love by the way. I use google constantly and it's nice to have it so handy. Anyway, when I uninstalled all of intermute's trial products a few months ago, I also deleted the folder out of the programs section. When downloaded the new version of CWShredder a few days ago, I noticed and spysubtract came with it but I never opened that part of the folder. I'm not bad mouthing Intermute at all, their products may be fine but I don't like having things installed when I don't ask for them if you get my drift.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / October 24, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

Sure Merijn is aware of the "reports". Not sure if Merijn will do or can something about it since it is sold already.

We can only hope that the new owner will fix the glitch and keep it free.

I'm not bad mouthing Intermute at all, their products may be fine but I don't like having things installed when I don't ask for them if you get my drift.

Yes. I understand you. Many PC vendors are doing that. PC are pre-installed with software that is not requested by the user Sad
Answer is uninstall or reformat if they are nasty LOL

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 24, 2004 5:38 AM PDT

As long as CNET forums stays free I'm happy. LOL Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-D
by Donna Buenaventura / October 24, 2004 5:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Roddy, You're Welcome :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 24, 2004 6:08 AM PDT
PS: I assume that we should wait until we are notified that everything is fixed before we use the update button the version 1.59.1.

yep, I would wait. I can imagine that several people in SWI (SpywareInfo) will have contacted Intermute that there are "problems" with their new version as several of them worked together with Merijn to iron out "problems" in Merijn's versions - so these people know what they are doing.

I think it's great you are offering your help here - much appreciated ! Keep up the good work !
Collapse -
by dlhan / October 24, 2004 6:06 AM PDT

I wanted to let you know, I had the exact same problem with CWS 1.59.1 as I am having with 2.0. It could be something in my system setup that is causing the foul up. But once again the only work around is to disable HPguru's HOSTS file before running either version of CWS.

Collapse -
by Larry38 / October 24, 2004 6:11 AM PDT

Thanks Marianna,
Glad I didn't change to the new 2.0 version.
Larry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.