Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Cut through the crap...what do I REALLY need?

by Goddess_Susie / August 19, 2010 1:01 PM PDT

There are a bunch of recommendations and CNET has a security software "starter pack." However some of the things recommended are redundant. I just switched from AVG free to Avast free but what do I really need in addition? Do I need Spybot? Malwarebytes? I did add Last Pass but then saw the other program that does the same function (can't remember the name.) In a nutshell, what are the recommendations for what I need to cover myself all the way around?

Thanks for opinions...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cut through the crap...what do I REALLY need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cut through the crap...what do I REALLY need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need
by manmur / August 19, 2010 4:02 PM PDT

You need only one Firewall and one antivirus. you should have only one real time scanner for malware. However you can have as many of the on demand scanners that you want.

I do not recommend Spybot S+D anymore as it only update once a week. The way that new malware are coming out each minute.

On my own PC I use the Fallowing:

Antivirus: Avira Antivir Personal (Free ed.)

Firewall: Comodo Firewall (Free)

Note: It is part of the Comodo Internet security suite. However you are able to chose the parts you want to have.

Antimalware: Malwarebytes, Windows defender, Supperantispyware.

Others I found useful: Spywareblaster, a host file, and Web-of-trust (WOT) for my web browsers. I also use Sandboxie to run my main web browser in a 'sand box'. Also with Firefox I use NO-Script. I am using C-Cleaner to clean out all of my temp files and recycling bin out.

Make sure that you have windows update set for automatic.

What you use is up to you. Also do a mix and match to see what will work well together. Remember that you are your worst security treat. No security program can protect your PC from your self.

manmur

Collapse -
Needs
by Phil Crase / August 20, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

Everyone has different opinions of AV software. Typically, one AV/ANTISpyware software and one firewall, typically. AVG is quite good, if you buy it in the box packaged with anti spyware, the free stuff is limiting, that is why it is free. Almost daily I see systems that are hosed because of free software use and more than half have been on questionable websites with insufficient security, Myspace, facebook and a few others seem to be creating lots of issues. More and more I find myself using Linux instead of Windows.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by Goddess_Susie / August 20, 2010 11:43 PM PDT

I just switched from AVG free to Avast free. Would you recommend I get the new top of the line AVG? They have a deal with 2 years for the price of one right now.

Will it cover spyware, malware, and all of the normal worms, trojans, key loggers, etc.?

I am willing to spend the money- I just want my system protected and since there are so many options that are rated so well by CNet and Users both, it is difficult to know what to put on my Win XP system without loading a bunch of redundant programs. I haven't upgraded to Win 7 yet although I have the discs to do so.

So, in summary, am I correct that your opinion is that AVG top of the line will cover me 100% and I don't need any other ancillary software for security?

Last question...I saw that they have something for Education but I can't figure out if it is for the school or for students. They are closed so if you know the answer to this one, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll call Monday when they are open.

Thanks so much for everyone's help and opinions. I just want the best coverage for all of our computers with the least number of programs. Happy

Collapse -
No such thing as.....
by gargamel360 / August 21, 2010 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

.....100% protection. Well, staying offline is 100%. But that is it.

You have done the reading by what you have posted, all that is left is to try on your system. Systems are like fingerprints, all unique, moreso the longer you run it w/o reformat. So only way to see if software works well, no conflicts/slowdowns, is to try it. This goes doubly so for security software.

I say "harden" your web browser of choice, browser exploit malware seems the fastest growing. I can do this with Firefox with add-ons like AdBlock Plus, RequestPolicy, WebOfTrust, and mainly NoScript. But most other browsers have good security options, baked-in or add-on(yes, even notorious I.E. can be safer).
Virtualization(sandboxing) is also a good option for any browser's security.

But NEVER trust a single program or suite as the "final word" in security. Layering multiple lines of defense is safest way to go.
Within reason. Too much security is worse than any virus.

You said you have XP, so the #1 thing you can do for your security is.......SP3. If you don't keep you OS up-to-date, no security programs can save you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.