Laptops

Question

custom laptop?

by dhinge / December 10, 2012 3:08 AM PST

I am a web developer and prefer the older laptops of yore, and I cannot find a current laptop that suits my needs as well as the one I have, however the one I have is getting outdated.

Since I can't find what I want anywhere, I am looking to have one custom built. Here are the specs I'm looking for:

4:3 resolution (non-widescreen SXGA or SXGA+).
Most ports on the back, not on the side.
Decent keyboard (not tiny arrow keys).
Intel i5 or i7.
Windows 7.
4-8 GB of RAM.
Non-integrated video graphics (keeps Aero running fast).
14"-15" display (fits on my portable desktop).

Even if I can't get all of it, is there some place I can have something custom-made or modified? I've even thought about modifying my current model to fit a modern motherboard so I can't install a modern chip on it.

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: custom laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: custom laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There's a reason for the lack of 4x3 screens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: custom laptop?

Just ask if you want to know. And with MSFT pushing 8 so hard I suggest you get what you want without the 4x3 screen fast.
Bob

Collapse -
Manufacturers ripping us off
by dhinge / December 11, 2012 5:54 AM PST

I know why there's a lack of 4:3 screens. Manufacturers discovered they could save money by giving us less pixels per screen (1366x768 vs 1280x1024) and fooling us into thinking watching movies on your laptop is better than a big-screen TV (I prefer widescreen TV's if you must know) because people just can't stand black bars on the top and bottom of their screens (even though cable and satellite companies still broadcast standard screen with black bars on the sides to widescreen TV's on many channels). Maybe that's great for movies but not programming. I suppose Apple's in the wrong too by making the most popular tablet in 4:3 ratio.

If anyone has modded a laptop please give me some advice on where to start. Thanks.

Collapse -
Really?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 6:36 AM PST

In my travels I got to see panels being made and the multi-million dollar machines that make LCD panels. Given the cost to produce panels and the major part of the market that wants to watch video on the laptop, that format wins.

It appears you are thinking of something else and not economics, market forces and more.

I've modded a laptop. Yes. But that was over a decade ago when the makers flirted with laptops that you could pick a motherboard, this and that. That idea died as it was far too costly.

-> As a web author, why not set your window to the size you want and carry on? I know I do. Here's a shot of one setup I liked back then.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/desktop2.jpg

I hope you are here to have a discussion and not just to vent about how the market changed the PC as we know it.
Bob

Collapse -
Yah, really
by dhinge / December 13, 2012 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: Really?

Of course I'm thinking of things other than economics and market forces! I'm thinking of my usage of the screen! Widescreen is ridiculous on a laptop for a developer. I either lose pixel height (or overall pixels), text I have to squint at, or a gigantic awkward laptop in my desk and on my shoulder. Does nobody remember how nice a 14" standard screen laptop was? They've been at 4:3 for almost two decades; why did it need to change? Why do we need to watch movies on our laptops?! I just want a 4:3 14-15" laptop with Windows 7 and 4-8GB of RAM on it. So far I haven't heard "Here's how to do it" or "It's not possible" or even "I don't know, go here", you've just tried to talk me out of it. I've already tried that setup you're showing me, it's very awkward. Unless someone here knows how to put together what I'm looking for, then I'm wasting my time here. I thought CNet would be a good place to start looking for custom or modding advice, but it seems a little too mainstream or uneducated for that.

How the market changed the PC as we know it? It's good because it's changed? Didn't Apple change the PC market by putting out a 4:3 tablet? How about we all move back to 4:3 because it changed the PC market? That's a brilliant idea! Let's do it!

Collapse -
I won't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 3:03 PM PST
In reply to: Yah, really

Even if I had the 100 million to do that, it's like the old joke that follows.

-> How to become a millionaire.

Step 1. Take a billion dollars and buy an airline company.
Step 2. Wait one year.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.