Phones forum

General discussion

Curve's Confirmation of Voice Dialing - Unintelligible

by dgphotog / February 27, 2009 10:42 AM PST

Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble understanding the Curve's voice when it tries to confirm a voice dialing command? (I've tried various iterations of the volume and speed with little or no improvement.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Curve's Confirmation of Voice Dialing - Unintelligible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Curve's Confirmation of Voice Dialing - Unintelligible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unintelligble Bluetooth Functions
by barngal / February 27, 2009 11:51 AM PST

Yes, I had the same problem with the bluetooth dialing confirmation on my Curve...Verizon carrier
also, I had a hard time using the bluetooth voice activated calling.
It often couldn't pick out the party I was calling..not even close.

I was used to seamless bluetooth funciton from a previous phone and found this very dissappointing.

Collapse -
Right! Unintelligent AND unintelligible
by dgphotog / February 27, 2009 12:26 PM PST

My carrier is also Verizon, but I doubt they are the culprit - this time. And I agree - the staggering percentage of misses of its understanding my commands is inexcusable. But I went BACK to the Curve after having had 29 miserable days with Samsung's Omnia. The deal breaker for me on that one was that you couldn't even invoke any bluetooth command if the keyboard was in locked mode! I had to double joint my arm, unzip my coat, remove the phone from my hip-pouch without unstrapping my safety belt and all this while avoiding killing too many people on the interstate. They (Verizon and Samsung) told me to unlearn the habit of locking the keyboard. I told them something I won't repeat on this family channel.

Collapse -
Curve Voice Dialing
by behnker / February 27, 2009 9:15 PM PST

I have been using a Sprint Blackberry 8330 for about 6 months. The Bluetooth funcionality is one of the things I am ipressed with. I just push the button on my Jabra BT8040 and voice Curve's voice dialiing feature opens with "Say A command". In six month's time I can count the misdials on one hand. The confirmation does sound slightly garbled sometimes but I can still understand what it is saying.

Collapse -
THE VOICE ACTIVATION FEATURE IS USELESS
by richardbass / February 27, 2009 11:17 PM PST

I'm sorry to say that I have the same problem. I do not get the "Say a command" prompt very often, but it works every time when I'm at the AT&T Store. About the matches...I said, "Call Mario (mahrio)," no match. When I changed the pronunciation to "Call Mario (the "a" as in fat) I got a match. I find the voice activation feature useless; I'm looking for recommendations for a phone that allows me to record the names in my address book.
Richard
Palm Springs, CA

Collapse -
Curve's Confirmation of Voice Dialing - Unintelligible
by Chelle1964 / February 28, 2009 12:04 AM PST

I have a LG HBM-310 bluetooth ... the voice commands are clear coming from the 8900, but when I speak a voice command I get numerous mis-dials ... sometimes I believe it depends on the pronunciation, background noise (wind, radio, conversations, etc.) and the bluetooth device being used ...

Collapse -
And I thought it was my hearing getting worse
by canlink / February 28, 2009 2:14 AM PST

I have the utmost difficulty with understanding the voice prompts and I thought it was just me.

I now keep the phone in view with a holder and try to read off the words being spoken. I seem to be understood 60% of the time so voice-dialing if I can master the accent of voice prompt is better than dialing as you are driving.

Now I need to get the typeface bigger and I have resolved trying to understand the addresses selected.

Collapse -
Please, everyone, Call Your Carrier and Complain
by dgphotog / February 28, 2009 2:24 AM PST

I am SO sick of hearing the technical 'support' person tell me this is the 1st they're hearing of the problem. The clear message is that I must be nuts.

If I'm getting a small handful of people with the same issue in just a few hours from thread launch on this one forum, there must be hundreds or thousands of us out there. Please, please, please let your carriers know - who should in turn let RIM know they have a problem. (Perhaps if the Windows version weren't so good, we wouldn't know any better, but we do.)

Collapse -
Best answer to most any Blackberry Voice dial issues....
by Ed_L468 / February 28, 2009 3:25 AM PST

I've been using Vlingo for a while now on a bold and put it on my wifes 8310 and it works great....and does a lot more than just voice dialing...open apps, dictate emails or sms...lots of other things too... I just like the app. www.vlingo.com

Collapse -
Does VLingo link to Bluetooth?
by dgphotog / February 28, 2009 4:48 AM PST

Ed_L468, thanks for the suggested Vlingo. That could be my long-sought answer. I loaded it to the Curve, set the options the program asks me to, but when I invoke voice dialing it reverts to the evil resident program. So my questions are: (1) Does it talk to Bluetooth and (2) If so, how does one eliminate the resident program?

Collapse -
Vlingo
by canlink / February 28, 2009 4:58 AM PST

I just downloaded it and set it up.you have to set one of your Blackberry buttons to "Nothing". The set-up took me a few minutes to follow through.

It seem to be working except I have a strong Cockney accent and it is not recognizing 50% of what I say. But I sure can understand the voice prompts better.

Another issue is that you need to keep the button pressed in order to provide instructions as to whom you will be communicating with or speak your message. This cannot be easily if the phone is in a cradle when driving.

Collapse -
Vlingo
by BlackBerry_Boy / March 14, 2009 3:31 AM PDT

Also available here on Download.com:
http://download.cnet.com/Vlingo-BlackBerry-/3000-2379_4-10906121.html?tag=mncol

CNET Download Editor's rated Vlingo at 4.5 stars ...

Jessica Dolcourt's review:

This stellar voice-transcription application does more than search the Web or place a call in response to your spoken command. Vlingo lets you get specific, searching Google or Yahoo and updating your Facebook and Twitter status. You can also launch applications, write notes to yourself, and verbally compose a text or e-mail message.

The set-up is a little laborious, and Vlingo does have a learning curve, but the step-by-step instructions help you program a fast access key that works like a record button, and the help file is a good, easily access reminder of what you can say and do. Vlingo's transcription may be on the slower side, especially if your connection is weak, but the application makes up for it by creating a voice recognition profile that improves with use, and by letting you preview text before you send anything to the public. Not to mention, it's got one of the best voice-to-text service we've seen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.