Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cursor Won't Work

by Pat Hohlstein / February 22, 2005 5:36 AM PST

I have Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8400. My problem is that when I try to do crossword puzzles online my cursor will not work. I know this is probably something simple but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Pat

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cursor Won't Work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cursor Won't Work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information please
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 22, 2005 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Cursor Won't Work

Pat, can you explain a bit more?

Does your mouse cursor freeze completely when you are on this crossword puzzle web site? Can you minimize the web browser and still use the cursor on your desktop to open other programs, and explore the Start menu?

If you cannot use the mouse to minimize the browser window, press the "Windows" key + M at the same time to minimize all active windows. Then see if your mouse works.

Can you use the arrow keys to navigate the crossword?

Does this mouse problem happen at any other time, eg other web sites, or when you use your computer when you are not internet browsing?

It seems to me that if the problem is restricted to just one web site, then it is the web site that is the problem, and not your mouse. If the crossword puzzle runs using ActiveX, Java or javascript you may need to review and change your settings in Internet Explorer under Tools > Internet Options > Security tab.

Mark

Collapse -
Cursor Won't Work
by Pat Hohlstein / February 23, 2005 12:53 AM PST

The cursor works fine on all other sites or on anything else I want to do. It's just the one site it doesn't work. I checked my security settings and the "Run ActiveX Control & plug-ins" is enabled. I'm thinking I'll have to give up my crosswords.

Collapse -
Is there any clue
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 3:23 AM PST

on the crossword web site what you need to run the crossword properly?

Can we have the web site address, then perhaps we could test it also.

You never know, it may be the web site and not you.

Mark

Collapse -
Cursor Won't Work
by Pat Hohlstein / February 23, 2005 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Is there any clue

The website is crosswordpuzzlegames.com I can't find any clue there to tip me off what it could be. Hopefully you can find a clue. I got it off a "Website of the Day" from the Kim Komando site. Normally with something like this I would just let it go but this kind of bugs me. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
I tried this one
by Steven Haninger / February 23, 2005 10:50 AM PST

using 2 both IE and Firefox. You are right. You cannot place a cursor in a box to fill. There are instructions for printing it and a link to solve. I am thinking, at least at this site, it may not be meant as a real time interactive puzzle. It's just meant to print and solve the old fashioned way. Are there other sites you go to where you are experiencing this that we can try?

Collapse -
Addendum/ second opinion
by Steven Haninger / February 23, 2005 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: I tried this one

I showed this to my wife and she agrees. It's just to print out. But, she likes puzzles and wanted to save the link. See, you made someone happy.:)

Collapse -
Yes I've just tried as well
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 5:57 PM PST

and there was no way to complete it online.

Shame, because I like crosswords too. But I might print one or two out as well and cheat, er....... check the answers online, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Cursor Won't Work
by Pat Hohlstein / February 23, 2005 10:07 PM PST

Well, that's a bummer. Guess I'll have to Google up another site and try that. Thanks for all the help. At least I know it wasn't me, well, not sort of. Happy

Collapse -
Here's a page with a daily puzzle
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2005 12:43 AM PST

and links to others. It's not a crossword but a challenger.Here

Collapse -
Someone may have already pointed this out...
by Edward ODaniel / February 24, 2005 1:33 AM PST

but those crosswords are simply TABLES--not a single form in the bunch.

If you scroll to the bottom of ANY OF THEM you will find that they are usable under the following conditions:
Feel free to print out this crossword puzzle for your personal use. You may also link to it. However, this web page and puzzle are copyrighted and may not be distributed without prior written consent.

In other words if you want to do them print them out and use a pen or pencil.

This isn't a "Twilight Zone" problem--no one has gained control of your PC Wink

Collapse -
mouse pointer wont work on bigfish games
by ba3234759 / May 9, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

I have played Bigfish games for many years and now it wont play on the games I play daily. I reinstalled the games and the game manager still no pointer to open or play the games

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.