Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Cursor symbol accompanied by small box - update related?

by mach37 / July 25, 2010 8:02 AM PDT

A couple of weeks ago I noticed my cursor symbols are displaying a part-time box just under the cursor. The box appears after a few seconds of pausing on a character or area that appears to be the triggering source. The box floats a bit, not rigidly attached to the main cursor symbol. I tried selecting different cursor properties in Control Panel/Mouse Properties, but the box remains. I assume this came about following a recent Windows 7 Update. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? It is distracting.

My system: Windows 7 Home Premium, set for Auto Updates; HP m9500t, Core 2 Quad Q8200, 6 GB DDR2, Video: GeForce 9500GS 512 Mb

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cursor symbol accompanied by small box - update related?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cursor symbol accompanied by small box - update related?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 25, 2010 7:36 PM PDT

I'm having difficulty visualising this.

Where does this happen, all the time, even when no application window is open on the Desktop, or in specific applications, like a Word Processor?

Can you take a screen print and let us see that? We usually upload screen prints as jpeg files to some image hosting web site like ImageShack, Photobucket, Flickr, etc, but you can use your own preferred web site.

Collapse -
Cursor symbol accompanied by small box - update related?
by mach37 / July 26, 2010 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm.

Ah-Ha! It only occurs in my Firebox browsing window! I just tried IE (v.8), Thunderbird, Quicken and several others, and found it only occurs in Firefox. I wonder why that wasn't apparent before? Goes to show how much time I spend browsing. Thanks; I presume this is something that Mozilla should take over.

Oh, the screen-grab (cropped to small area) is at
The box (rectangle) is just below center, under the word "Windows". The cursor at that time was an I-beam centered on the line containing the word "Windows," looked like "Windo|ws." When the cursor is an arrowhead or something else, the box appears to be closer to the cursor symbol.

Collapse -
Yep, I've seen that too sometimes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 26, 2010 5:22 AM PDT

and as far as I can recall it also happens only in Firefox.

Do you use a mouse, or a trackpad? Ohh I see you're using an HP m9500t which is a Desktop, so that's a mouse. Same here.

I think, (but I can't say for sure), that this is some sort of mouse action like dragging a window around web pages content. But when there is no content, (you're dragging an empty place), this is what appears. Having said that, I've just tried to reproduce it and what do you know? I can't! Happy

When it happens to me again I will investigate further and report back. When it does happen, I just click the mouse a couple of times and move on.

But the important thing for you to know is, you're not alone! Devil

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.