Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Office & Productivity Software

Tip

Cursor jumps around while typing: Problem Solved!

by The Bushman / June 29, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

I have a Dell XPS M1530 Laptop running XP Home, and have a cursor that jumps around whenever I type.
I have tried deleting the PS/2 mouse driver that is for the touchpad and reinstalling a new dell driver for this, which did not fix the problem.
SOLUTION:
Go to: Start>Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer Options
Click: Pointer Options Tab
Un-Check: "Hide Pointer While Typing" check box.
Click: "Apply"
Click: "OK"
PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cursor jumps around while typing: Problem Solved!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cursor jumps around while typing: Problem Solved!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is there a question?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 29, 2012 5:23 AM PDT

It seems you have solved your own problem so I am unsure why you have posted.

Mark

Collapse -
No, There is an Answer!
by The Bushman / June 29, 2012 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Is there a question?

I posted a solution to a problem that is prolific across the web.
Are tips frowned apon here?
Should I have posted in a different area?
I am confused by your unsurety....

Collapse -
Not at all
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 29, 2012 8:36 PM PDT

but that is not how these and many other forums work.

In these forums, a member posts a problem. The other members here will reply with suggestions and possible solutions. That is when your post would have been most helpful.

As it is, it will sink into the archives as more posts push it down the listing.

Mark

Collapse -
Sure, but why not discuss this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2012 1:18 AM PDT

For example, why did anyone have to do this in the first place?

Have the makers and authors messed up?
Bob

Collapse -
Got it! Post questions here....
by The Bushman / June 30, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

Answers only belong after a question is asked directly concerning it.
Got it.

....So what are the "TIP" post icons for?

Terry

Collapse -
It's for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2012 12:12 AM PDT

My reply is to ask the question and have the conversation.

I did ask a question.
Bob

Collapse -
OK, Thanks for the help guys.
by The Bushman / July 1, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: It's for this.

I think I got it.

Collapse -
thank you!
by jking143 / September 13, 2012 10:06 AM PDT

Absolutely helpful! this problem has been driving me crazy for months and I had no idea how to fix it. Tried what you said and so far my curser isn't jumping all over the page. Thanks!

Collapse -
I appreciate your help!
by futbolfan15 / December 31, 2012 5:38 AM PST

People that take the time to put down others need to get a life. I appreciate very much your post and it just fixed my problem! I think the problem with the guy that is upset about your post gets all of his/her self worth in being the one to post the solution to ones problems.

Have a great day !

Collapse -
Thanks
by OleDad48 / August 1, 2012 7:04 AM PDT

Your TIP was at the top (not pushed down). It was clear and helpful. Thank you for posting it. Dunno what all the complaint is about -- feel free to post helpful TIPS any time!

East to follow. Time will tell if this fixed my problem, or if it is something else.

Collapse -
Curser jumping
by logies101 / September 27, 2012 9:23 AM PDT

@Bushman I for one am glad you posted the problem and the fix in the manner you did. I found the answer to my problem quickly this way. Thanks again!!!

Collapse -
Still experiencing problems
by jking143 / September 28, 2012 1:42 PM PDT

I tried what you suggested, unclicked the hide pointer box and the problem is better--but still at times my cursor bounces to some other point in my typing. It's incredibly annoying--by any chance do you have any other ideas to try?

Collapse -
What have you tried so far?
by The Bushman / September 29, 2012 1:07 AM PDT

I tried manually deleting the one PS2/Mouse driver that pertains to the touchpad, and reinstalling it, which didn't work for me. Also I've seen folks with a wireless mouse, that have issues with that, which I didn't. Also mouse sensitivity can be an issue, setting the sensitivity lower in control panel/mouse/pointer options.
I've also seen a third party software, "touchfreeze" mentioned, to fix the problem but I don't know anything about that.

Collapse -
About Touchfreeze.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2012 3:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Cursor jumps around while typing: Problem Solved! by The B
by tapoindexter / October 6, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

Bushman, you are awesome!!! I've sent my laptop back to mfg. trying to get this problem fixed with no success. I have spent hours trying to fix it. I tried be your suggestion and ShaaZaam!!! It seems to fixed!! Thanks so much!! And by the way it was the first answer on the page in my google search. So it most definately hasn't be lost due to other post!! Thanks again

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you. I love hearing success stories!
by The Bushman / October 6, 2012 6:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by lsg317537 / October 7, 2012 7:15 AM PDT

thank you for posting
thank you for posting it pre-emptively
even if the rigid say answers don't come before questions
YOUR answer came to me faster this way
thanks

Collapse -
Thank you Bushman!
by Pokie3333 / November 6, 2012 4:38 AM PST

This problem has been driving me nutty. Although I understand (and respect) that your post may not have been in the right format, your information saved me from having to post my problem and wait for an answer. So thankful to have gotten through this whole paragraph without the cursor jumping around!!

Collapse -
Thank you - it worked
by mournlight / November 11, 2012 3:09 AM PST

Bushman, thank you for posting this. I have an HP Mini and have been reading the answers to this question since it was first asked back in 2006 and 2007, and this one worked. This is an ongoing problem, even though it is years old. I appreciate you taking the time to post an answer to a question that was asked so many years ago, since the original thread was locked so that no more answers could be posted there. This made it easy to go straight to the fix, which seems to be working for me!

Collapse -
Awesome!
by The Bushman / November 12, 2012 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you - it worked

Glad to hear it fixed your problem! My laptop did the same thing for years...
It's super frustrating, and I really thought I had a virus or something till I fixed it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Collapse -
Helpful hints
by pgc3 / November 30, 2012 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: Awesome!

Personally I don't see a problem with how you posted your remedy, a helpful hint imop is always welcome. Gooooood job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Jumping cursor when typing
by mommoron / November 17, 2012 8:20 AM PST

Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows 7
4 GB Ram.
First, thank you for your posting; it resolved my problem.
My cursor also jumped while typing.
Solution:
Control Panel to Mouse setting: Uncheck the "hide pointer while typing"
Resolved problem after many days' of searching for solutions everywhere
on the internet.

Collapse -
Thank You, Problem Solved
by Thread-Reader / November 30, 2012 12:48 AM PST

Problem Solved !!! I think the way you posted you question with the answer attached was perfect. Saves time from reading all threads looking for the correct answer. Job Well Done.

Collapse -
Thanks Bushman!
by delquattro / December 12, 2012 6:49 AM PST

Thank you for posting your tip, unsolicited. Since I am not a petulant man child who lives in my mother's basement, I appreciate your initiative in posting this problem. While the issue seems to have improved after following your suggestion, the problem remains. Someone alleged that AVG is part of the problem, but his suggestion was for AVG 9, and I'm using AVG 2013.

Thanks, again, Bushman!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.