Laptops forum

General discussion

Cursor jumps all over while typing

by 1Chris / July 16, 2009 1:52 PM PDT

While I'm typing on a Dell Inspiron 700M, the cursor jumps all over the place at random. All of a sudden the text will appear before the word I'm writing, at the top, wherever.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cursor jumps all over while typing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cursor jumps all over while typing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Easy solution for cursor jumping
by mehra09 / July 25, 2009 9:31 AM PDT

I have an easy solution for cursor jumping problem. Double click on touch pad icon in your system tray. click on "Pointer Options". Then click on "Advanced" tab in left upper corner. Click on Advanced Feature setting. Click on "Settings" in Pointer speed and tapping setting box. Uncheck "Enable Tap" box. Click Apply. You are all set.

Collapse -
CURSOR JUMPING SOLUTION
by paulcare21 / March 17, 2010 3:32 AM PDT

I am looking at your solution but where is the touch pad device?

Collapse -
Easy solution for cursor jumping
by heather20022002 / April 22, 2011 8:31 PM PDT

This did not work for me. Tried it and now I'm back at square one with the cursor jumping again. Touch freeze software does help, but it keeps uninstalling itself. I think this is a bug that really needs to be fixed

Collapse -
cursor jumping
by nmcdade / April 24, 2011 1:29 AM PDT

Thank you. I was having the same problem. My cursor jumps all over the place and many may times it would land on the "X" that closes the browser. It's a pain! I hope un-checking "tap to click" works... Happy

Collapse -
for me this worked
by supersupan / August 1, 2011 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: cursor jumping

this worked for me. thanks.

Collapse -
jumping cursor
by thekat123 / September 6, 2011 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: for me this worked

this is the best thing that ever happened since I got this netbook it worked and I am so happy now!!!

Collapse -
RE: Easy solution for cursor jumping
by saintschic / November 2, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

mehra09,

Thank you for your solution. My Toshiba Satellite touchpad and left button stopped working. I installed a USB mouse so that I could point and click, but then I noticed that my keyboard started going bad. When I'd type, the cursor would jump around and I would type in different places. It was crazy!

I was just considering purchasing a USB keyboard but didn't want to lug it around with my laptop. I tried your suggestion and it fixed the problem. I believe that my touchpad was somehow stuck "on" and it was interfering with my keystrokes. Now, I can type without frustration.

THANK YOU!

Amy L

Collapse -
touch pad/system tray on my IBM laptop
by slchapelle / January 30, 2012 1:13 PM PST

Where is touchpad where I might find the touch pad icon and where is system tray.

Collapse -
FIX jumping curser
by sterlingac / January 15, 2010 8:10 AM PST

WORKS ON VISTA TOO ITS NOT HARDWARE OR HITTING THE MOUST PAD

IT's the Enhanced Pointer Presision Feature

Just turn it off .... TO turn off the Enhance pointer precision feature:

Click Start, click Run, type control mouse, and then click OK.
Click the Pointer Options tab, click to clear the Enhance pointer precision check box,click Apply and OK.

Should work

Ron G

Collapse -
cursor jumping Windows 7
by heyderguy / March 29, 2010 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: FIX jumping curser

Well, thats one more fix that doesn't work. I am running Win 7, don't have a touch pad and pointer precision (along with just about everything else) is off. I'm using a Fuji P1620 and it came with 7. My old P1510 ran XP without an issue.

I've even gone back and tried uloading updates (someone suggested it was an update which makes sense because the problem started after using 2-3 days). The problem with undoing updates is that I don't know which one is the cause!

HELP!!!

Collapse -
Jumpin Cursor problem FIX!!!
by dmpljim777 / May 7, 2010 1:06 AM PDT

Hi, the jumping cursor problem is a Boot Sector Virus issue. I fixed it by starting my Computer in Safe Mode F8, then doing a Virus Scan.

How I figured this out is when I reformatted my hard drive, the problem still existed; there fore the only place for the information to hide was in the Boot Sector.

When You Virus Scan in Safe Mode, the Virus cannot Hide Itself from the Scanner. At least this one worked for Me.

Collapse -
this worked for me
by supersupan / August 1, 2011 7:07 AM PDT

this worked for me. thanks.

Collapse -
Jumping cursor in Windows 7
by nbk101 / April 22, 2010 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: FIX jumping curser

just disabled enhance pointer precision feature on my Sony Vaio Windows 7 system. This problem has be plaguing me for months. The cursor is still jumping. It has done it twice since I started typing this answer. I have to go back, correct, and continue.
Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Jumping Cursor
by dmpljim777 / May 7, 2010 7:22 AM PDT

Hi, the jumping cursor problem is a Boot Sector Virus issue. I fixed it by starting my Computer in Safe Mode F8, then doing a Virus Scan.

How I figured this out is when I reformatted my hard drive, the problem still existed; there fore the only place for the information to hide was in the Boot Sector.

When You Virus Scan in Safe Mode, the Virus cannot Hide Itself from the Scanner. At least this one worked for Me.

PS My post is right before Yours.... While You were trying to type Your post, my solution was available. Give it a try and see if it does not work like it has for me, Jim.

Collapse -
TouchFreeze
by Smidgen / July 6, 2010 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Jumping Cursor
http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/downloads/list

Even though I am very sure I wasn't touching the touchpad while typing, my Dell laptop cursor drove me nuts with having a mind of its own. I found this on another tech site and have installed it. No more problems! Amazing! Whole process took about 2 minutes.
Collapse -
Thank you! This really works!
by livefreeordie98 / October 17, 2010 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: TouchFreeze

I have had this problem for a long time and I have tried a variety of suggestions to get rid of it. I was ready to toss my laptop in the lake when I saw this Touch Freeze Post. I followed the directions as stated and it's been days and my cursor hasn't jumped once. What a pleasure to use my computer now. Thanks for posting this, EVERYONE with this problem deserves this quick 2 minute relief!!
I am so grateful!

Collapse -
TouchFreeze
by dogwlkr / January 11, 2011 6:17 AM PST

Thank you, thank you! This has solved the problem and I tried everything else prior to this. I don't have to throw this laptop away! Yea!

Collapse -
My cursor problem is fixed!!!
by Lawnsong / March 5, 2012 6:48 AM PST

I downloaded the Touch Freeze program and no more jumping cursor!!! I am euphoric as I write quite a bit and was going nuts having to go back and correcting the script......no more problems! Thank you thank you! Happy

Collapse -
jumping cursor
by huston3 / April 22, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

God bless you! After a couple of hours of this, I can tell you I have NO IDEA HOW THE HELL ANYONE COULD DO THIS FOR MONTHS. You guys are to be commended. Less than 1 minute, cause I just ran it. Works like a dream.....very, very, nice. Thanks for the post.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to edit out offensive comment on 11/28/2011 at 12:29 PM PT

Collapse -
TouchFreeze
by sarafelines / May 10, 2011 4:15 AM PDT

I'm running XP on an Inspiron and this problem was actually introduced by a Dell tech who, in the process of replacing a corrupted video driver, decided to do some Office 2003 downloads, one of which failed. I didn't notice the problem for a while, because I have an external keyboard, but as soon as I used the laptop keyboard, the cursor started jumping. I downloaded TouchFreeze and it immediately picked up on the suspended Office 2003 download, backed it out, and - cursor fine!

Collapse -
It worked!!!
by mayday1971 / June 19, 2011 9:10 AM PDT

thank u smidgen for that link, it's amazing, my problem was solved in less than 2 minutes haha..

Collapse -
touch freeze
by smarkalphat / July 28, 2011 5:00 AM PDT

this works like magic, no more issues while typing. i recommend to everyone with the same problem. thanks mate

Collapse -
touchfreeze
by batami / August 8, 2011 1:39 PM PDT

how can I say thank you enough ... installed and it seems to work ...... i pray it continues to work

Collapse -
WOW!!!! THANK YOU!
by mrs_kback / August 16, 2011 4:23 PM PDT

This problem also happened to me after the Dell guy came to my house and replaced my hard drive. I was going NUTS with the jumping cursor! It made me even fail an online typing test I was taking for a job that I was applying too! I was about to throw this computer out the window when I googled this problem. I did this and now it works perfectly and no jumping cursor! Woo-hoo! THANK YOU!

Collapse -
this little gem of info saved a laptop murder.
by 13ofClubs / September 4, 2011 9:42 AM PDT

I still am not quite sure what touchfreeze is, but the very second it finished downloading i started typing and havent had the cursor problem since. it had been doing it for months and progressively getting worse. Since I am the computer guy in my circle of friends, I am always removing viruses and repairing everyone elses stuff....but never my own. little things like the cursor jumping that have no real explaination or logical fix make me want to never work on another computer ....ever! lol. im sure everyone in this thread has felt the same way. haha.
For the record, this particular download worked on my system. Windows 7, Dell Inspiron 1500 laptop.

Collapse -
Jumping cursor driving me crazy!
by PWNeely / September 25, 2011 9:14 AM PDT

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My cursor was driving me crazy, jumping all over the place. After downloading TouchFreeze, as you suggested, it has been fine.

Collapse -
Touch freeze
by Karensue723 / September 28, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

Thank you so much for your post. I have been suffering with this jumping cursor for a long time. I just downloaded this Touchfreeze and no more jumping. So very happy.

Collapse -
Thank you!!!
by GeorgeMuha / April 11, 2012 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Touch freeze

TouchFreeze seems to have done the trick!!! Thank you so much TouchFreeze people!!!

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
by magoogan / September 30, 2011 2:19 AM PDT

That was driving me crazy! I am so glad to have it fixed. Touchfreeze worked like a charm!

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!
by magoogan / September 30, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

Worked great! That was driving me crazy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.