Windows 7 forum

Question

Cursor is Irritating and going off while typing !

by Sanguine_about_denouement / September 8, 2012 9:27 PM PDT

I'm facing one serious cursor issue.

Whenever I'm typing something, the cursor is just going off from
it's normal place.

For example: Right now I'm typing in a Notepad and the cursor is
just going off the notepad and I have to click again inside the notepad
to bring the cursor back to it's position so that I can type.

The same thing happens while chatting with someone. I've to click
on the chat window again and again to type my messages.

I recently got my palm rest replaced which included new touch pad
and I'm pretty much sure that it's not touch pad problem. This is
really frustrating and annoying. Please help if anyone had faced such problem.

I'm using Dell XPS 15z , 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cursor is Irritating and going off while typing !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cursor is Irritating and going off while typing !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A common issue
by Jimmy Greystone / September 9, 2012 12:40 AM PDT

A common issue, and the cause is that you're resting your palms on the trackpad while typing. Put a piece of paper or something over the trackpad, and I bet the problem will go away immediately. Some trackpad driver software have options for trying to recognize these accidental click actions and preventing them, so you can see if yours is one of them, and further if it helps. Otherwise, you either figure out some way to keep your hands off the trackpad while typing. A piece of paper or something is cheap and easy, you could also work on better hand positioning so that you aren't resting your hands on anything. If you ever had a typing class, you should know that's a big no-no anyway.

Collapse -
Not an issue !
by Sanguine_about_denouement / September 9, 2012 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: A common issue

Thanks for your reply but this is not the issue. I have been typing keeping the information you mentioned in my mind since long. The cursor goes off even if I have left the cursor for sometime and removed my hands from the key pad.

Collapse -
Then think back to when it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2012 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Not an issue !

And again, for most folk they'll claim they didn't hit the trackpad yet we continue to watch them struggle. They are often loathe to disable the pad for a test run. I can't answer why they are that way.

But back to you. Tell the forum more. Fill in the blank.

"It worked fine until _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________"

Collapse -
More Information !
by Sanguine_about_denouement / September 9, 2012 7:45 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply !

Here is some more information I would like to add:

I got my new Laptop in Feb 2012. As far as I remember it worked fine until April 2012. In Summer, I started noticing this problem. After that my hard disk was replaced by Dell people which cam with new operating system installed in it. Then also, it didn't stop and is still annoying me. Sad

P.S: If you see the palm rest of Dell XPS 15z, it's very wide and spacious. The key pad is at good location and track pad is at another good location too. And I don't see any of my finger or palm part touching the touch pad which could have created the problem.

Collapse -
I don't think I can help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2012 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: More Information !

Best of luck. You seem to be repeating the same discussions as before.

You've dismissed the usual so you get to repeat the lessons.
Bob

Collapse -
Humor me
by Jimmy Greystone / September 9, 2012 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Not an issue !

Humor me, and just put a piece of paper down over the trackpad anyway. If I'm wrong, what does it cost you but a few seconds of your time. If I'm right, then you have the basis for a solution to your problem. So you have almost nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Collapse -
Answer
And Have You Tried This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 8:41 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, double click on the "Mouse" icon, select the "Pointer Options" tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Enhance pointer precision". Click on "apply", then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.