Computer Help forum

General discussion

CTRL Key stopped working on my laptop. Please help!

by aprice88 / January 14, 2008 3:46 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop running XP Home. It has been running fine until about a week ago when both CNTL keys stopped working. Seeing how I'm constantly copying and pasting this has proved to be a huge nuissance. Occassionally it seems to work, but I can't figure out the common denominator when it does. It's not just after a restart or a program opens or anything. It's driving me insane. I would really appreciate any help you can provide. Also, something that you should know - I have many of the startup programs disabled in Startup tab of the System Config Utility (Start>Run>MSCONFIG). While I don't think that's the source of the problem, perhaps I'm mistaken.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CTRL Key stopped working on my laptop. Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CTRL Key stopped working on my laptop. Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do external keyboards work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2008 3:53 AM PST

When at home I use some wireless keyboard since I want to avoid early replacement of the keyboard on the laptop.

Bob

Collapse -
Either Broken or Reset
by nakamuradavid / January 15, 2008 10:58 AM PST

Is it possible that you could have accidentally reset the "standard" keyboard setup to a different set up? Ever wonder how you can customize your keyboard to type different types of things? (example European, Asian, International, Mathematical symbols)?

Just hope you don't have "dead" keys, laptop keyboards are expensive. Before doing this do what the other person said, try an external keyboard.

Collapse -
Control Key Stopped Working - How to Reset?
by WunderKlicken / January 18, 2008 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: Either Broken or Reset

I think I may have inadvertently reset my Control key on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. It no longer functions - no CTRL C, CTRL V, CTL ALT DELETE. I too am used to using this for copy and paste functions a trillion times a day so this is downright painful!

Can someone share how to check your keyboard settings and possibly how to reset the almighty Control Key?

Thanks!

Collapse -
keyboard fix
by dspeedme / January 19, 2008 8:56 AM PST

This could also be the hardware of the keyboard itself. i recently had to order and replace the keyboard for a customer on a laptop and was very surprised with the ease and the cost of the keyboard replacement part. One dell i did this on cost 25 dollars from dell and they even sent me a screwdriver in the pakage to remove it with and a link to the guide to replace it online. but a very similar dell cost around 54 dollars. All in all it seems it cost me less to replace a laptop keyboard than my personal keyboard on my desktop.

Collapse -
driving me mad....
by aprice88 / January 27, 2008 11:43 AM PST

I have not yet had a chance to try an external keyboard, thought that's a good idea. However, isn't it odd that both CTRL keys stopped working at the same time. And, it seems that randomly and rarely, they work! Ever once in a while I'll try CTRL-C and it works! I'll use it for 10 seconds and then it stops again - on both keys! It's very aggravating. Any insight would be highly appreciated!

Collapse -
Here's How You Get Your CTRL-key Back
by xplicit_ideas / May 7, 2008 12:27 AM PDT

You have made an update, installed a new software, or have gotten some Malaware that has disabled your Ctrl-key. You get them working again, by going into the control panel of your Operating System (2000, XP, Vista) and disabling your keyboard manually and then starting-up again. Here's how you do it:

01. Go to Settings ---> Control Panel ---> Performance ---> System.

02. In the System dialog box, choose Hardware.

03. Go into Device Manager.

04. Find Keyboard in the list.

05. Click on Properties.

05. Disable the Keyboard.

Now you must restart your computer. When it starts up again, it will automatically recognise your keyboard as a 'new' device and re-apply the drivers from your XP operating system, as they were before you got them messed up.

It will again ask you to restart. Click yes. When your computer starts up again, it will magically restore whatever keys that got stuck, or wouldn't work. Tada!

Collapse -
Thank you!
by MBGC / February 22, 2013 7:32 PM PST

I had the same problem and followed these instructions - uninstalling the keyboard drivers and restarting the pc. Great advice, thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.