Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

csrss

by czly / July 6, 2011 1:17 PM PDT

I have a HP Pavilion 6130nPC 32 bit running Vista Home Premium.

I found old (3 to 4 years ago) posts on this but the solution did not work on my computer. I had/have a virus - I've done a lot of virus scans, malware scans, etc. and got rid of the main problem (I think) however every time I start the computer I get the following message " Could not load or run c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\csrss.exe"

Not sure if the following is part of the above problem or not but my Firefox home page will not load because it is set to use a proxy server. I change is back to no proxy server but it just resets to using one after I close it (IE was doing the same thing but it is fine now that I changed the proxy setting).

If anyone can help please make the explanation(s) as simple as possible as I am no computer wiz...

Thank you all in advance... Blush

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: csrss
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: csrss
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's A Failed Registry Call
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 6, 2011 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: csrss

Since "csrss.exe" is no longer where it's supposed to be, (it was probably removed by a removal tool), and because the registry is still "calling" for the startup of the program, you receive and error message. To eliminate the error message, you'll need to eliminate the registry entry making the call.

As to the Firefox issue, I would remove the registry entry using the procedures below and when done, uninstall Firefox, then reinstall it again.

If you have any experience working in the registry it should be easy to find and eliminate.. Try it this way:

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. First, make a backup of the Registry. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, looking on thel eft side of the screen, click on the "My Computer/Computer" entry so it is highlighted. Next, click on "File" in the upper left corner of the window, "Export". When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to (I direct it to my desktop for easy access) and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like..

Now, looking on the left side of the windows, click once on the "My Computer/Computer" listing at the top, then click on "Edit" in the upper left, choose "Find", then type: csrss.exe{/b], then click on the "Find Next" button..

Allow the scanner to find any listings for "csrss.exe" and when found, (Probably on the right side of the window), RIGHT click on the specific entry and delete them. After deleting each one, press the F3 key to allow the registry scanner to search for more such entries.

I'll guess the registry calls will reside in either of the two paths below:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
csrss
by czly / July 10, 2011 1:31 AM PDT

Thanks Grif... I worked

Collapse -
(NT) It didn't work for me.. Nothing happened!
by Jevo2 / November 9, 2011 2:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Look Some More..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 10, 2011 2:34 AM PST

Unfortunately, you've jumped into an old thread and provided us with no information about your computer, the operating system, make and model, nor have you told us EXACTLY what's occurring in your situation..

Still, since the original problem was regarding a file that resided in the "Temp" folder listed and the problem did, in fact, get fixed by eliminating the registry "call", did you search the registry completely for ALL of the instances where "csrss.exe" are listed? If not, please try a complete registry search..

Did you also check to see if there is a startup call in other locations, such as "msconfig", or maybe even the Start Menu-Startup folder?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
csrss
by Jevo2 / November 20, 2011 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Look Some More..

Okay, this is what im running.. i have an hp dv7-1245DX. Im using windows vista home premium. 4gb ram, 64 bit operateing system and i have an amd turion x2 dual cor mobile RM-72 2.10GHz.. I hope this helps..

Collapse -
(NT) Same Answer.. Look Some More..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: csrss
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.