Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Alert

Critical Patch Update for Java SE Released

by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 6:37 AM PST

From the Oracle Software Security Assurance Blog:

February 19, 2013

Oracle today released the updated February 2013 Critical Patch Update for Java SE. As discussed in a previous blog entry, the purpose of this update is to deliver 5 additional fixes which could not be included when Oracle accelerated the release of the Critical Patch Update by publishing it on February 1st instead of February 19th. Note that since Critical Patch Updates for Java SE are cumulative, this Critical Patch Update release also includes all previously-released Java SE security fixes.

Due to the severity of the vulnerabilities fixed in this Critical Patch Update, Oracle recommends that these fixes be applied as soon as possible.

Additional information: https://blogs.oracle.com/security/entry/updated_february_2013_critical_patch

Download for Java SE 7 Update 15 and Java SE 6 Update 41 :
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Version Test:
http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Critical Patch Update for Java SE Released
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Critical Patch Update for Java SE Released
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Critical Patch Update for Java SE Released - New!
by jijo272 / February 19, 2013 6:59 PM PST

Carol,

Do you think it is safe to download Java again and do this update to use Pogo.com games?

I have Avast Internet Security, Windows 7

Joanne

Collapse -
Is Java safe?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 2:36 AM PST

Hi Jo..

(Obviously) I only have my personal opinion to offer. Is it safe? A lot depends upon you and your browsing habits. Don't count on Avast to protect you. Avast won't stop you from making poor choices. If history proves you've made good choices in the past and you wish to continue playing online games .....

You have the option of minimizing the risk. And that would be by using a dual-browser approach. Use a secondary Java-enabled browser dedicated for Pogo. Disable Java in the browser for everyday use. (I prefer Firefox over Internet Explorer) You haven't mentioned which browser/s you use. See: "How do I disable Java in my web browser?".

Continue to keep Java updated. The next scheduled releases for Java SE are: April 16, 2013; June 18, 2013; October 15, 2013; and January 14, 2014.

Hope this helps..
Carol

Collapse -
Disable Java
by blurrier / February 22, 2013 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Is Java safe?

Carol, I don't understand. In one paragraph you suggest to "disable Java" and in the next you suggest to "keep Java updated." I disabled Java, so why should I need to update Java? I use Safari, clicked on 'preferences' then 'security' then clicked the box to disable Java. I use Norton for Mac and have 2 firewalls, the computer runs fine, so why should I use use an Oracle Java update?

Collapse -
Fairly Simple, If You're Going to Keep Java On The Comp...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2013 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Disable Java

....make sure you have the most recent, and most secure version installed.. Therefore, if you ever use it, it will be as "secure" as it can be at that moment. There is no website that can't be hacked, even Pogo sites, and if you decide to enable Java for use on a specific website, you'll want it as secure as possible.

Carol's suggestion for disabling, or uninstalling it from all other browsers is also a good idea.. For example, removing from Internet Explorer, for example, but leaving the Safari plugin installed, might be a good option.

On the other hand, for many who don't use Java enabled programs, uninstalling is the safest options.

It's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Using Java.....
by jijo272 / February 23, 2013 5:17 PM PST

Thank you for the reply. Your answer makes sense.

I think I'll keep Java disabled and uninstalled. There are games to play on Pogo that don't require Java and I'll stick with those until (if ever) Java is made safer.

Always nice to hear from you, Grif.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Using Java.....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.