Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Creative Webcam Instant driver for Windows-VISTA

by Suj_C / October 2, 2009 12:39 PM PDT

Does anyone here know where I could get the driver for Creative Webcam Instant VF0040 which is compatible with VISTA? The website of creative labs says product development has been stopped for this product. Does that mean that there is no place online where I could get a driver for this webcam for vista?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creative Webcam Instant driver for Windows-VISTA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creative Webcam Instant driver for Windows-VISTA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Generally yes
by Jimmy Greystone / October 2, 2009 11:56 PM PDT

Generally, yes, that's exactly what it means. Driver development is like throwing money into a big bottomless pit for hardware companies like Creative. Once they move on to some new product, they aren't going to waste resources on creating drivers for old ones.

If Creative doesn't have anything, or doesn't release the necessary information for someone to create their own drivers (if so inclined), then you're pretty much stuck.

Collapse -
You didn't say Vista 64 so here's what some say for "Vista"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

"It works just fine in Vista, contrary to what I read here and in other places on the Internet. Installing the drive under Vista wasn't as straightforward as it might have been though. Here's how I did it: plug the Creative VF-0040 Webcam Instant into your PC. Vista will ask you to search the Internet for drivers -- let it do this. It'll search for a while and finally end up asking you to put the driver CD in the drive. Do this too. After that, you should get a message saying that the driver was successfully installed.

I've tested it in the Creative WebCam Center application and in Skype -- worked fine in both places.

I can't say much else about the WebCam because I did all of this for a friend, but it hopefully clears up the misconception that it does not work under Vista."

Collapse -
It works!
by Suj_C / October 3, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

Thanks for your posts Happy I just discovered this morning that creative labs Forum has a way to deal with the problem: http://forums.creative.com/t5/Cameras/Creative-Webcam-Live-Not-supported-in-Vista/m-p/376386

Though the above link gives the support info for Live!WebCam, the same 8 steps hold for WebCam Instant VF0040 too.
The 6 suggested steps(which worked for me) are:

"1.Download the Win XP drivers for your cam to your desktop,x32 or x64.
2.Unplug webcam.
3.Right click on driver package,select "properties",select"compatibility".
4.Check box,"Run this program in compatibility mode for:" Windows XP (Service Pack 2).
5.Close "properties",right click driver package,select "Run as administrator".Let drivers install.
6.Shutdown PC,replug cam,reboot.
7.Click ,Start,Control Panel,Device Manager.Scroll down to "Imaging devices".If anything is highlighted yellow,right click it and select"update driver software",select "Browse my Computer for driver software".
8.Browse to where the drivers have been installed,usually "(C".In my case (C/WCamInst.Click OK.
9.When Vista has finished updating drivers ,reboot.
10.Download " Vidcap32.exe.".Heres the link=http://www.natech-inc.com/names/other_programs/vidcap/index.html.
11.Place "VIDCAP32.EXE" in webcam driver folder.Make a shortcut on your desktop,and "Wallah",one working Webcam."

Collapse -
Of hand springs and zig zag.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: It works!

Only 11 hurdles or hoops to jump through but let me offer ONE MORE piece of advice.

PRINT OUT WHAT YOU FOUND TO WORK and slip that into the CD cover that holds your drivers for this webcam. Next year you'll thank yourself!
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Suj_C / October 4, 2009 9:30 AM PDT

Thanks Bob! That seems a good piece of advice so that I dont have to try again to figure it out next time!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.