TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Creating Home DVD that will play on all DVD players.

by bighorn60 / May 8, 2010 1:09 PM PDT

I have tried creating DVD's with various programs, even tried a Magnavox VCR/DVD player-recorder machine; they played back on a computer but none of them played back on most of the DVD players I used. Magnavox said it would,but when I called them, they admitted that sometimes it doesn't work. Is there a program I can use that would work and doesn't cost a small fortune? Thank you. Bob H.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creating Home DVD that will play on all DVD players.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creating Home DVD that will play on all DVD players.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You learned that it doesn't always work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 10:54 PM PDT

That's the truth about recordable DVD media. There are some players that will never play anything but factory media.

You can improve the odds with having DVD+R and DVD-R media on hand and using simple software like DVD FLICK but what you ask is not possible today with recordable media.
Bob

Collapse -
DVD's that dont play on a player on the TV
by bighorn60 / May 9, 2010 3:25 PM PDT

I was afraid of that. Everything I tried seemed to indicate that. Thanks for the reply, now I have to explain to my wife and Niece that it isn't always possible to record a DVD to send to relatives without a PC and expect them to see it. They keep telling me it should be possible I just dont know what I am doing. LOL Thats life, Thanks for the reply. Bob H.

Collapse -
Here's my test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2010 9:51 PM PDT

I make my DVD on DVD-R and DVD+R with DVD FLICK (long reasons why) and then I have a note that Uncle Joe needs DVD-R while Betty Sue's player only takes DVD-R.

What a mess.
Bob

Collapse -
Making DVD's that work on all DVD players
by bighorn60 / May 15, 2010 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's my test.

I tried the DVD Flick, it works great. For a free app, this really works. Thanks a bunch. Keep on helping troubled others like myself, you do good work. Bob H

Collapse -
A hike in the woods.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2010 3:51 AM PDT

I think it's like hiking in the woods and you come to a fork in the road and have to decide which way. Some (friendly?) person is there to point to a path they took before and what they found.

Sounds familiar. Hope you continue to find tips that save you some time and trouble.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.