Mac Applications forum

Question

Creating "Groups" in Address Book?

by LolaAngell33 / May 24, 2012 12:32 AM PDT

I managed to get two names into a group in my address book, but can't seem to get more. Under my old system, Tiger they were in folders and it was fairly easy to do. Now, I'm frustrated. Can someone tell me how to do it? "Help" is no help at all..... I think I'm doing what it says but the names won't stay when I drag them over.

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.70f5
Serial Number (system): ............................
Hardware UUID: 4CC9D4B5-2379-5EA5-A894-10994564A9EA
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creating "Groups" in Address Book?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creating "Groups" in Address Book?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: address book
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 12:36 AM PDT

That hardware isn't so important. But it would be very useful if you told what email program you use.

Kees

Collapse -
I am using the "Mail" program that came from Apple...
by LolaAngell33 / May 24, 2012 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: address book

And, I thought someone posted to a previous question that it "would be helpful to know" about my system. I didn't mean to inconvience you. I'm not very computer literate and don't know what I would do without these forums.

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry but if THIS LINK does not help, head to Apple (store?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 4:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Apple Mail?

"The Counter?" I presume you mean the "experts" at the Apple store? It just happens to be 162 miles (one way) from my home. No thanks, I did not have a great experience with them when I laid out over $2300.00 for this machine. I got 10-15 minutes of instruction when I went in to pick it up. I will try the website you sent. Thanks for trying.

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Try this,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Apple Mail?

Open Address Book from the Dock
Click the little red bookmark at the top of the page. (it will either have a single bust(individuals) or two busts(groups))
If it has two busts, it takes you to the list of groups in your address book, on the left hand page.
Click on the group you want to add people to
Click the red bookmark, it now has a single bust
Takes you to a new page, click the + sign and put in the details of your contact.
Alternatively, if you already have details in the address book that you would like to add to your group
Go back to the Group page and click ALL CONTACTS.
Click the Green button at the top left of the page. Makes the pages fit the screen top to bottom
Now you should have a list of your contacts on one page and the groups on the other.
Just drag them from the one page into the group of your choice.
Done

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
How can I turn the pages in Address Book
by LolaAngell33 / June 7, 2012 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this,

Well, I must be very dense, but I can't figure out how to turn the pages in my Address Book.

(I'm also not very good at learning country western dancing.)

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
You don't actually turn the pages in the Address Book,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 7, 2012 8:01 AM PDT

but you can move through your contacts by clicking on one of the contacts in the list, the one on the left, and then using your up and down arrows, on the keyboard, to scroll through the list

That help?

P

Collapse -
Son of a Gun
by LolaAngell33 / June 8, 2012 2:54 AM PDT

How easy was that? But, one name at a time???? Is there an easier/quicker way to go from "A" to "W?"

Thanks,
Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Default view when opening Address Book
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 8, 2012 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Son of a Gun

is "All Contacts" on the left hand page and a single name on the right

Left hand page has a "slider" on the right of it.

Move it up/down for a quick run through all your addresses.

Alternatively, move the Address Book to the top of the screen.
Move the mouse to the bottom right corner of the Address Book where the cursor will change to a two headed diagonal arrow.
Click and drag down.
Now you can see a whole bunch of your contacts

P

Collapse -
Right & Left pages
by LolaAngell33 / June 9, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

are the opposite of what you mention, but, the slider is there. I am learning that the
slider is not always visible until I click in the small margin on the right then, like magic, it
appears. I have a single "person" on my "all contacts" list, but on the left page along with my
folders, I have an "all contacts" I can click on to find the whole list. I guess I will get used
to it.

Thanks to all who helped me.

Old Granny Lola

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.