Photo Editing & Graphic Design

General discussion

Creating and Burning Photo Slideshow to a DVD

by Totally_Frustrated / August 17, 2010 10:59 AM PDT

Hi, I can not figure out how to get my Photo Slideshow to burn onto a DVD. I have read many comments on different software, have asked people for recommendations and just seem to be missing something. I am not good at figuring this stuff out by myself. I am only computer literate to the extent necessary to do what I need to do. Branching out is not easy for me. I thought I was doing quite well considering but I have hit a roadblock I can not overcome.

I started with buying my digital camera, taking lots of pictures, uploading to my computer, bought Photoshop Elements to edit and then found that it could also make a slideshow. It looks great on my computer and that is as far as it goes. I have since figured out that it will only burn to a CD in VCD format which looks awful by comparison so off I went in another direction. Of course that was not before someone said, you need to burn it to a DVD so I also now have a DVD Burner that came with some version of Nero that also does not seem to want to burn to DVD's. I am not getting Photoshop Premier for this project which was also suggested.

I went back to the camera shop and they suggested Roxio 10. More googling later I am wondering if that means Roxio Creator 10 which seems way more than I will ever be able to do. Not to mention I have no clue how to figure out if I meet all of the system requirements. Right now I am already running slower than humanly possible due to all of the stuff I have downloaded and the huge amount of pictures I have waiting or something to do with them. I am sure I will be heading for disaster soon.

I have created the slideshow in Photoshop, Movie Maker and Nero. My problem is not with being able to create the slideshow. My problem is with how to get the slideshow to burn on a DVD, not a CD. Are there simple instructions somewhere on how to do this? It seems like I have read so much and still can not figure this out. If you can also lead me in the right direction on how to hire someone to help me with this or where to take a class that would be great too. It does not seem like it should be this difficult. I know if someone tells me you need this, this and that and here is how to make it all work together ... I will be fine. I just can not get to that point myself and honestly I am so frustrated now I don't know what to do. I have invested hours upon hours into this project since March. Pretty bad, Huh! If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would really appreciate the feedback.

I suppose you should know I am using a PC with Windows XP. I found something that said 1.5 Ghz and 704 MB Ram. Thank you for bearing with me to the end.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creating and Burning Photo Slideshow to a DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creating and Burning Photo Slideshow to a DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try using DVD Styler for burning DVDs from video files
by LQ Graphics / August 17, 2010 1:19 PM PDT

You will need to render your slide show to a movie file such as a QuickTime Movie encoded with H.264.

Then try using DVD Styler (free) which will take any video file as input and burn a DVD-Video.

http://www.dvdstyler.de/

You can also read my article on burning DVD slide shows. It's oriented around my software, Photo to Movie, but all of the principles are the same for any software:

http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/article_publishing.php

Collapse -
Photo Impact 8.5 photos to TV slide show
by sage444 / September 23, 2010 10:01 AM PDT

I am at an intersection and do not know which way to turn. I am wishing and hoping that you can give me some advice. I own PI 8.5. Have had it for a number of years and am completely satisfied with the software. Went to Europe in May and wanted to put photos on a TV DVD. Could not burn the DVD for TV but could burn a CD for PC and computer screensaver. So had numerous chats and talks with tech support and finally realized that I needed to purchase an unlock code. This unlock code is not mentioned in the manual, do not have the original box. So I ordered this code and it did not work. More talking and was told that I needed to purchase the new PI 13 so I went to the local retailer and read all information on box and pages on outside of box and no mention of a code. Prior to purchase, I called customer no service today and was told that I would need to purchase an unlock code for this software also. I told them that this is not mentioned on the box or manual, only raves about the quality of the TV DVD's. Asked them to refund my money for unlock code purchased for 8.5, said I would receive confirmation email but have not received it yet. Do you know anything about these unlock codes? Do you have a suggestion for a program that will burn TV DVD's without charging you a hidden extra fee to be able to do this process? I really want to get these DVD's finished as our friends that travel with us is not in good health. Please help me.
Thanks in advance. Jen

Collapse -
I have read your post and have some questions.
by sage444 / October 7, 2010 8:56 AM PDT

I truly do not know what I am doing so please help me.

How do I burn to DVD Video?

What do I need to do this? I have a DVD RW/R 16X installed on my computer. I also have movie maker installed on the computer but it will only burn CD's not DVD's.

Where is Quick time movies located that you mentioned to create DV streams to MPEG-2 video format, even though I do not have a clue what all of this is.

Your four steps were

Create the movie. The steps listed above, am I creating the movie?

Render to a file. Does that mean to save it to a file?

Encode??????

Burn: Is this the final product?

Please make a recommendation on a product. I have photo impact pro 8.5 but I cannot get it to burn a dvd that will work on a tv dvd player even though I have purchased an unlock code.

I am willing to purchase what I need, but I do not have a clue as to what I need. So as you can tell, I am at a crossroads.

Thank you for your response to all my questions. Jen

\

Collapse -
create a dvd slide show
by H18KML / October 8, 2010 6:51 PM PDT

I have been making dvd slide shows for some years now,
with terrific results, the program I use is Pinnacle Studio 7, this enables you to download your photo's to a file then import them into the program, you can then add Transitions, music. voice over,and much more.
You add all this to an album within the program on screen, when your ready you go to Make Disc, put in a dvd blank. press go and the jobs done for you.

Collapse -
Pinnacle studio 7
by sage444 / October 12, 2010 1:27 AM PDT

This sounds easy but do I need anything other than this program on my computer?

Is this a free download or a purchase?

Collapse -
make a dvd disc
by H18KML / October 12, 2010 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Pinnacle studio 7

this is not a free program, visit pinnaclesystems.com they offer a free 14 day trial.
incidentally I made a mistake on the version I use its the Studio ultimate version 11.
Buying the program (software) will cost new appro ?60, but its well worth the money.
Aslong as your computer meets the requirements and you have a dvd read/rom/write drive all you need is the software. Another way would be to check out Ebay for different versions current version is 14, but would imagine you could get my version much cheaper.
I have used my version on windows xp, vista, and currently on windows 7 with no problems.Another software program I have used is Magix Photos on CD and DVD also with very good results, but prefer Pinnacle for ease of drag and drop. good luck Ken.
incidently studio allows you to connect your cam corder directly to the computer upload the film to the program, then you can cut out all the crap, add music, voice over and the rest,this is really what the program is intended for, but works just a well with photos into a slide show.

Collapse -
burning slideshow to dvd
by jdorio / March 24, 2011 9:55 AM PDT

Hi,

I had the same problem. Also being a newbie - as well as stubborn, I spent weeks trying to figure it out.

I was at best buy one day and found a product by Magix called photostory for $20.00.

I worked like magic (no pun intended) and it was so easy to use, that I now have quite a few home made videos. I am sure that if I could do this, so can you. For the price, you cant go wrong.

The down side is you can never get an answer from them on technical issues.

Good luck, and have fun

Collapse -
Creating and Burning Photo Slideshow to a DVD
by frworkbd / June 30, 2011 10:54 AM PDT

I am using a software which is Uled DVD. It can help you. It is very easy to use.

Collapse -
Nice choice but the name might be....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

Ulead from ulead.com

Also noteworthy is ProShow Gold from photodex.com

Collapse -
Windows ??
by mopscare42 / July 3, 2011 12:55 PM PDT

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you already have a great program for burning a DVD slide show. It's Windows Movie Maker and it comes with Windows. You can do transitions, titles, music and it has a help menu if you need help. You can burn DVDs directly from the program. I have two other photo programs that I use that has that feature, but prefer to use Movie Maker because it's a lot easier for me.

Collapse -
photo slide show
by hothag / July 29, 2011 7:29 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.