Windows Vista

General discussion

Creating a bootable CD for Vista...

by cgarrity / May 25, 2011 5:19 PM PDT

I would like to be able to boot from a CD in order to reformat a laptop hard drive before installing Vista.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creating a bootable CD for Vista...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creating a bootable CD for Vista...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: formatting
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 5:25 PM PDT

Not clear what you want to and why.

The Vista install DVD lets you partition and format the disk as part of the installation. So there's no need to have another CD to format.

Kees

Collapse -
That's what I thought, but...
by cgarrity / May 27, 2011 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: formatting

First, this is not my computer. I'm trying to help my sister recover her laptop. Apparently it came with Vista, but someone put XP on it, destroying the Vista recovery partition.

Collapse -
When I want a clean install I boot up GPARTED.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2011 4:30 AM PDT

It's small, has a GUI and I can delete the partitions on that drive.

I NEVER CREATE PARTITIONS OR FORMAT THIS WITH THIS TOOL.

Why? I want a CLEAN install.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob...
by cgarrity / May 27, 2011 9:15 AM PDT

You're da MAN. Never heard of GPARTED, but I just took a look at it and it sounds exactly like what I wanted to do. Rather than give the computer back to my sister in it's present condition, I'm going to gpart it and then reinstall Vista as there is definitely something haywire with it right now.

Collapse -
It's like they tell you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2011 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob...

Pick the tool for the job.

I find this one to be one of the handy things to reach in and perform this action without much fuss.
Bob

PS. Tell us how it turns out?
PPS. And thanks for the kind words.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.