Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

Created wave file skips

by ldr44 / February 9, 2013 8:48 AM PST

I have a pc with XPPro, service pack 3, with 2.5 GB of memory. Each time I create an audio wave file from an LP and play it back, I find that it skips. The LP does not skip as I monitor the recording as it's playing.

I've used two different wave editor programs leaving me with the same results. I've defragged my hard drive and ran Memtest to confirm that my memory is fine. I've also used three different versions of the same wave editor program and also used the Real Time Recorder feature of that same wave editor program. Everything I've tried results in the same skipping wave file. I've had plenty of experience using the one wave editor program in the past on this same machine and it at one time worked well with no problems.

At this point, all I can think of is that there must be another application on the computer that is interfering with the wave editor program.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, what is the solution? Any feedback, solutions, or suggestions would be much appreciated!

ldr44 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Created wave file skips
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Created wave file skips
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ldr44

Collapse -
Since this is XP, how did you handle/fix the XP DMA issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 4:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Created wave file skips
by ldr44 / February 14, 2013 1:51 PM PST

To R. Proffitt,

Thanks for the suggestion and link! I checked my BIOS for DMA settings. I found nothing about the DMA. Is it called something other than DMA?

I also wanted to check to see if automatic device recognition was enabled. Again, I was unable to locate a reference to it in the BIOS.

I plan to check the IDE cable, the chip set , controller driver for updates, and the event log for repeated ATAPI errors.

Collapse -
The link I supplied.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 11:09 PM PST

Supplied a procedure. Those that go looking will often come back with a lot of questions. My question is why not follow the noted procedure until you have time for more research?
Bob

Collapse -
Created wave file skips
by ldr44 / February 18, 2013 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: The link I supplied.

You're right! I should have started with the quick solution.

I tried the browser quick solution and found that I was unable to execute the resetdma.vbs file. I then went into the registry to manually reset the DMA. I then rebooted and success! The PIO was reset to DMA.

I was then able to successfully record a complete wave file minus any skipping!

Many thanks for the procedure, I really appreciated your help.

Collapse -
Glad to hear it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 1:16 AM PST

I know it's unacceptable to some to apply the quick or usual fix first before we dive into a deep technical discussion but this is one of those issues that keeps coming back.

I'm sure many wished Microsoft would fix this but at over a decade, we don't hold out much hope.
Bob

Collapse -
Created wave file skips
by ldr44 / February 27, 2013 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Glad to hear it.

I was mistaken! After closely listening to my finished wave file, I noticed that it is still skipping. The skips are, for the most part, subtle - but they're still there.

There has been a vast improvement since I corrected the DMA problem, as my computer runs much faster. But this problem still exists and I'm, at this point, very frustrated as to what to try next.

Sorry I was premature in thinking the problem was solved!

Collapse -
Then you need to get off the IDE based PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 2:14 AM PST

As you know, it's a problem. We can't fix this one it seems.

You can try an old tech trick and power off, unplug all IDE things except the HDD, then boot up and reset the DMA for a last test.

If you have a sound card, another old tech trick is to move it to another slot.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Have you used Task Manager to end running processes?
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 9:00 AM PST

And are the skips always in the same place?

Collapse -
Created wave file skips
by ldr44 / February 14, 2013 1:38 PM PST

To Ed Mead,

Thanks for your response. No, the skips are mostly noticeable toward the end of side 2 of the lp as far as I can tell. They then become more frequent. The total length of both sides of the lp is approximately 40 minutes and the recorded wave file is closer to 30.

I've tried closing the major programs that run at start up resulting with the same problem. I'm not aware of a method of closing all but the essential programs needed.

Collapse -
Could you give us
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 9:23 PM PST

step by step of how you're converting your lp's? Your turntable, how it's hooked up to your computer, soundcard, software, so on. Maybe a clue will be found.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.