Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Create a association in the Folder Option Control Panel

by patscott13 / April 12, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

Hi all, I need some help. I am using XP home with Service pack 2. Everything is up to date. I tried that new IE 7 beta. Now that I have gone back to 6 I have a big problem. When I create a shortcut, like to Ancestry.com, on my desktop it shows up fine but when I click on it I get a message that says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Option Copntrol Panel." I have no idea what is happening here. If I am in My Family Tree program and click the ball to compare with Ancestry.com I get the same message. In Yahoo, when I open an email and click on a link in the email half the time I get the message that the page is not available. I know it is, I used to use it all the time. I tried system restore, to go back before I put IE7 on but no good. Any sugguestion? I contacted Microsoft and they said it was a program and contact the company I bought the computer from. Yea, right? I think it is an IE problem but I don't know how to fix it.
Thanks for your time. Pat

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Create a association in the Folder Option Control Panel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Create a association in the Folder Option Control Panel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
File Associations...
by John.Wilkinson / April 12, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

To check File Associations, go Start->Control Panel->(appearance and themes)->folder options, select the File Types tab of the window that pops up, then find the extension you're having a problem with. (Check for HTM, HTML, and Internet Shortcut.) For each one, select it, click Change, choose the desired program (Internet Explorer), check the box "always use the selected program to open this type of file," and OK.

Another thing you'll likely want to do is go Start->Add/Remove Programs, select Set Program Access and defaults from along the left-hand side, expand Custom, and choose Internet Explorer (or your preference) and the default...this may have also been messed up with your encounter with IE7.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
File Associations
by patscott13 / April 12, 2006 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: File Associations...

I Thank you John. I did what you said then put a shortcut on my desktop and it worked. Thank you again.
Pat

Collapse -
file associations
by kgrab / May 4, 2006 4:04 AM PDT

the file extention is .pps which goodled and found to be power point, that however, is not listed inthe file types. so how can I create an association for that which is not listed/
ken

Collapse -
Re: file associations
by Tufenuf / May 4, 2006 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: file associations
Collapse -
file association
by kgrab / May 6, 2006 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: file associations

thanks,
I downloaded ok, and now have "power point viewer 2003" added to my programs.
I looked in control panel, view folder options, and the extension is there.
HOWEVER
when trying to open an email attachment (which what started this whole discussion), I still get error msg that I must create and association to open.
now what?
ken

Collapse -
Re: file association
by Tufenuf / May 6, 2006 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: file association
Collapse -
file association
by kgrab / May 6, 2006 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: file association

The FIX is fixed, I marvel at how simple things can be when one knows where to look, (site for the fix).

in any event, the pics my sister sent to me are for my grandson, now two yrs old and I hope he enjoys them.
If you have a similar aged tasmanian, I will gladly send you/forward the cute animal side show.
kgrab@verizon.net
thanks,
ken

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ken, Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / May 6, 2006 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: file association
Collapse -
A Thank You.. 18 days later..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: file association

Tufenuf..

I saw this link ''back then''. Tucked it away for the day .. I had the time. I just had the time. Did the work. And now.. I'm able to open .pps files in OE! Thank you, once again, for your wisdom. It's been an integral part of this never-ending learning process.

Carol

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Carol, You're Welcome and Glad to help.
by Tufenuf / May 24, 2006 7:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
File association
by oceanchild_123 / May 18, 2006 7:12 AM PDT

I have XP Home service pack 2 and am using Firefox browser with Outlook Express. How do I create a file association in control panel when I can't open an attachment?

Collapse -
Re: File association
by Tufenuf / May 18, 2006 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: File association

jackking48, What is the file extension of the attachment that you can't open?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
File association
by oceanchild_123 / May 18, 2006 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: File association

I don't get a file extension.

Collapse -
Make Sure The File Extension Is Showing
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 18, 2006 9:17 AM PDT

There should ALWAYS be a file extension. (The three letters immediately after the dot. Such as explorer.EXE. The file extension is .exe)

RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explore". When the Explorer window opens, click on "Tools", choose "Folder Options", then click on the "View" tab. When that opens, UNCHECK the box next to: "Hide extensions for known file types", then click on "Apply", then OK.

Generally, the file association problem is created because you don't have the right program installed on your computer which will open that file extension. You probably need to have a specific program installed on the computer but we'll need to know the file extension first..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: File association
by Tufenuf / May 18, 2006 9:18 AM PDT

jackking48, If you right click the attachment and choose Save as in the File name window you'll see the extension. A couple of examples would be .eml .jpg

Tufenuf

Collapse -
New problem
by .:Fatal:. / May 13, 2010 7:56 AM PDT

I just had AMK antivirus **** with me so i got Mcafee. It told me to restart and when i restarted ti started saying windows had an error and needs to close and the start tab thingy at the bottom would dissapear. i restarted it again and it opened fine, except whenever i tried to open something it says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel" when i try to open this, it then says the same thing. is there anything i can do to fix this?

Collapse -
(NT) And You Tried The Suggestions In This Thread?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: New problem
Collapse -
Running a BAT & "... does not have a pgm associated..."
by Threesco / August 30, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

I have MS Windows XP. When I check the Control Panel and Folder Options/File Types I do not see the .BAT extension. However, when I attempt to ADD it, I'm told it is already there as a MS-DOS Batch File.

The bat file I am trying to run/test was taken as a sample off the internet and named LogOrgMsg2.bat with this one line ...
START mailto:threesco@optonline.net?subject=Test%%20message?&cc=threesco@optonline.net?&body=Hi,%%0D%%0A%%0D%%0AThis%%20is%%20an%%20automatically%%20created%%20message.%%0D%%0A%%0D%%0ATJC

Thanks in advance for any direction

Collapse -
Re: Running a BAT & "... does not have a pgm associated..."
by Tufenuf / August 30, 2008 3:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
In order for that to run ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 30, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

a few things are necessary.

FIRST you must have a default email client installed and web mail does not work (you need something like Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc. installed on the computer).

SECOND the syntax you offer is incorrect for the mailto: protocol. you have:
START mailto:threesco@optonline.net?subject=Test%%20message?&cc=threesco@optonline.net?&body=Hi,%%0D%%0A%%0D%%0AThis%%20is%%20an%%20automatically%%20created%%20message.%%0D%%0A%%0D%%0ATJC

That will never do more than initiate an email message and prepopulate the subject line because of the errors I highlighted with bold text. If you modify is as below it will work as expected (pre-populating TO:, CC:, Subject: and the body of the email) -
START mailto:threesco@optonline.net?subject=Test%%20message?cc=threesco@optonline.net?body=Hi,%%0D%%0A%%0D%%0AThis%%20is%%20an%%20automatically%%20created%%20message.%%0D%%0A%%0D%%0ATJC

In short, install an email client and set it as default for the mailto: protocol AND replace your Carats and ampersands ^& with a question mark ? and you will have something that works.

Collapse -
file assocation problem
by iftikhar4more / November 12, 2008 3:42 PM PST

hi dear
i m using window xp,when i click on one of my hard drive partition(c,d,f,f),a message appeareed that u have a file assaocation problem with control panel, so kindly help me in order to slove this problem .iftikhar ahmad

Collapse -
Re: file assocation problem
by Tufenuf / November 12, 2008 8:02 PM PST
Collapse -
File does not have a program
by gi-gi10 / March 14, 2010 11:59 AM PDT

HP ED891AA-ABA
I think I clicked on get Windows Internet Explorer 8. My computer have been messed up ever since. This file does not have a program with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Option Control Panel. I took all of the steps from a previous post but I am still getting this pop up.

Collapse -
file associations
by sharaphoeby / December 8, 2010 10:47 AM PST

Thanks John, I had similar problem with .vob extensions so my VLC player movies were not opening. I did what u explained and changed it to "open with VLC player". It worked, thanks mate.

my email- sharaphoeby@rediffmail.com

Collapse -
Thanks and one more thing . . .
by jcari92 / July 11, 2014 6:55 AM PDT

It shows [NONE] under extensions - what should I do now?? How do I know what the extensions are supposed to be?

Collapse -
I'd reply 4 years sooner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2014 6:59 AM PDT

There is a tool to restore default associations but you dropped into a very old 8 year old thread.

Please start a new discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
can;t open some of the emails
by Joe Micallef / August 30, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

I got a Dell computer modem number is siemen speed stream 4200 before i use to open all emails now on certain emails is saying to create an association in the folder options control panel can you help me fix the problem please thank you ?

Collapse -
Re: can;t open some of the emails
by Tufenuf / August 30, 2008 11:49 AM PDT

Joe, What are the file extensions of the attachments you can't open? e.g. .exe, .pdf, .pps

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
How to see photos from the mobilephone.
by Joe Micallef / August 31, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

I bought a cable with a cd to connect to the computer .I GOT A DELL WITH A SIEMEN 4200 MODEM CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO CONNECT AND HOW DO I RECORD THE CD. THANK YOU JOE.

Collapse -
telephone calls
by Edward Ling / January 8, 2009 11:05 PM PST

I have windows xp and i am using free call and when i click start then click here to go to your account page . A box comes up saying This file does not have A programe associated with it for performing this action .create an association in the folder options control panel. Could you tell me how to do this please E ling

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.