Laptops

Question

Crazy svchost IO

by alonuser03 / October 5, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

Hi..
I have a samsung Q330 laptop.
After few years of use I suddenly got this pop-up massage:
http://www.pictureshoster.com/files/nq1mh24nx1444v38alr4.jpg
And in my tasklist parameters I noticed that the "I/O other bytes" value of one of my svchost.exe is extremely high:
http://www.pictureshoster.com/files/wvpf7cq7e9fowssihkyc.jpg
After trying to fix things for some days, I got convinced that my HD just died of old age or some kind of physical damage.
So I bought a new WesternDigital 500GB HD. After mounting it and reinstalling windows and all drivers - I STILL HAVE A CRAZY "I/O other bytes" VALUE IN ONE OF MY SVCHOST.EXE PROCESSES!

http://www.pictureshoster.com/files/001p4qr3rcts6bpqexw3.jpg

WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM???
This is driving me crazy and im afraid it could hard my new hard disk physically....

Some test I just ran -
Run IObit and AVASt full scan and found nothing.
Run chkdsk CMD commend: All the results are perfect and I get a "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems" message.
Run S.M.A.R.T test: The new HDD health is 100%. these are the result parameters-
http://www.pictureshoster.com/files/oezjfyygtrmldvbg68y.jpg

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crazy svchost IO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crazy svchost IO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be nothing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2013 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Crazy svchost IO

If you look at what svchost does it could be proper for it to get a lot of bytes attributed to it's process.

As it stands it's an interesting data point but I read about the HDD failure and can't tell if the original popup is fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
popup was fixed
by alonuser03 / October 5, 2013 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be nothing.

the pop-up windows doesn't show any more, as I got a new hard drive.. but the I/O other bytes of svchost is still crazy high!! Sad

Collapse -
And since svchost.exe can run Disk Defrag in the background
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2013 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: popup was fixed

Why would we expect it to not have a high I/O count?

That is, this is not a sign anything is wrong.
Bob

Collapse -
exptional IO OTHER BYTES VALUE
by alonuser03 / October 5, 2013 6:12 AM PDT

Because it is highly unusual .. Have you ever seen that SVCHOST reaches such high numbers?
It is a number with 11 digits!! (21.5 billion)!!
Next in line now barely reaches several Giga (7 digits)
And I never saw another computer that his SVCHOST so high.
Does that seem normal?
Do you have a process that comes to IO OTHER BYTES so high?

Collapse -
Sounds good to me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2013 6:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Try MalwareBytes
by wpgwpg / October 5, 2013 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Crazy svchost IO

I had a similar problem. I ran MalwareBytes and it found some Adware and about 100 PUPs (Potentially Undesirable Programs), removed them, and now my laptop is working normally again.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
thanks but, it didn't help :\
by alonuser03 / October 5, 2013 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Try MalwareBytes

downloaded the free MalwareBytes, updated it and run a full scan.. - didn't find any thing :\

Collapse -
Some more things to try
by wpgwpg / October 6, 2013 3:20 AM PDT

You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
`
After that, from the same command prompt type chkdsk c: /f /r to check for and attempt to correct bad sectors. Bear in mind that depending on the size of your C: disk, this can run up to a couple of hours, so start it when you have that kind of time for it.`
<div><span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
`
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
-
I hope this helps. Good luck.
</div>

Collapse -
did it all..
by alonuser03 / October 8, 2013 5:19 AM PDT

but every thing seams 100% perfect! :/

could it be some thing phisical else?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.