Dell forum

CRASH REPORT: Why does my DELL crash so much?

by slims1179 / June 20, 2011 2:06 AM PDT

I have a Dell XPS 9000 6GB ram with Win 7. I can't figure out why my computer keeps crashing or restarting atleast once every 1-2 weeks. I have contacted dell and no real help they say that everything on my computer is fine. I do use programs that pull information from the web and it seems as though this is when it happens the most but not all the time.

I read something about my video card but I have downloaded all the up to date drivers and have run every test on my computer and everything says its fine.

Does anyone no what the heck is wrong with this thing?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CRASH REPORT: Why does my DELL crash so much?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CRASH REPORT: Why does my DELL crash so much?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2011 2:45 AM PDT

But given only this much info, I can't offer much other than to look in the event viewer and see if using the old driver helps.

I'm a bit confused why the video card driver is at play here on programs that pull info unless they render that info.

Be sure to check into the printer driver as well. Those new to this area sometimes don't know that onscreen rendering is not only a video driver call but a call to the printer for printer metrics to get WYSIWYG.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help.
by slims1179 / June 20, 2011 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Thanks for the quick reply , but I don't have much of any information really. It just happens out of the blue for no apparent reason. It doesn't always happen when I use software. I just know that it's a time when it does. I checked out why Dell computers crash, because I had no reason for why it would crash and I found on another forum to update my video card drivers, so I did. But that didn't fix the problem.

Basically I was wondering if anyone has a Dell that crashes as much as mine and if so what has been the reason.

I will check the printer driver as well to see it that helps will update this post to see if that stops it. It just crashed yesterday so will probably be a week till another crash.

One other thing, I use my computer daily for business, and AutoCAD if this were a software issue wouldn't it be a daily thing?

Collapse -
Surrounded by Dells at the office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2011 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the help.

The only reason our Dells crash is that is all we have to crash. Odd how that works.

While there is yet to be a crashproof Windows computer we can work to reduce these. But the "data puller" apps are not revealed and maybe it's that old need to clean the PC issue. Many don't know about the 6 to 12 month tasks.

Hope more clues show up.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help.
by t8kiteasy / June 30, 2011 6:14 AM PDT

You said you use AutoCAD,are all the programs set to use OpenGL???This could be cause alot of apps.that do not use,or run in OpenGL to stop working and sometimes crash???

Did not mean to break into this thread but i was just reading thru some and saw this post.I had a problem with OpenGL a few months back on 2 games.The driver on my 9800M GTX SLI was using OpenGL for the games(which did not use it) and it kept crashing until it took me about 2-3 weeks to finally check this and fix it.I do not even know how it got set that way(while the driver package does support OpenGL) with a gaming system???

Collapse -
How do you fix the OpenGL problem.
by slims1179 / July 1, 2011 1:21 PM PDT

I have a Radeon 5450 1gb.

Collapse -
How do you fix the OpenGL problem
by t8kiteasy / July 1, 2011 2:09 PM PDT

If it is an OpenGL problem you have to open the App. and make sure it is set to DirectX instead of OpenGL.
If it is more than one App. you have to set them all back(the problomatic ones using OpenGL that is) to using DirectX.I do not know of any easy way to find out which App. is using it off hand.Typing DirectX in the search by the windows bar,will bring up the DirectX loaded on the system but does not show each program in use.

Collapse -
I hear you
by lyndabo / July 1, 2011 10:46 AM PDT

I have been going through the same thing and dumb me had purchased extended warranty to which there is no recourse. It seems like a pretty good scam to me. Computer freezes up, two days after extended warranty expires. They talked me in to purchasing a software for $40. which didn't help matters still crashes when I am in the middle of something. They want me to purchase a new motherboard for $200. + dollars. They give me a phone number to call if I have any problems to which you just get an answering machine. They convinced me that in order to fix my computer they had to take it back to the factory default so that is the state I am at now. The local technicians can start rubbing their hands together because as long as Dell continues this scam they will have a lot of dell computers to work on. I refuse to deal with anyone out of India when it comes to fixing computers anymore. They keep you on the phone forever and obviously don't know what they are doing. I also think they pass on our phone numbers because last night I got a call from someone in India claiming to be with Windows Global technical support who wanted me to follow his lead and type something in my address bar to which I told him where to go. I have had it......

Collapse -
What am I hearing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2011 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I hear you

Was this a rant or did you want to discuss the usual things or fixes?

Collapse -
i hear you
by lyndabo / July 1, 2011 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: What am I hearing?
I guess i have to say a rant because i am so frustrated but if you have any ideas i am open to any suggestions.
Collapse -
Video Card?
by mopscare42 / July 2, 2011 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: i hear you

When I first got my Studio XPS 435T, which is now the 9000, mine would crash like that. Turns out the video card was going bad. I was on my 3rd card before they sent me a good one. That was 2 years ago and the last card is working fine. My card is a Radeon 4870 1 Gig. If you are still under warranty have them send you a new card, easy to install.

Collapse -
Thats the computer I have.
by slims1179 / July 2, 2011 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Card?

I had a feeling it was the video card. Everything that I have read tells me it is a video card problem. I don't think it is under warranty any more. But I'll have to check. Computer crashed again today... TWICE!

Collapse -
Here is my debug analysis
by slims1179 / July 2, 2011 2:04 PM PDT

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4ac3 )

PROCESS_NAME: firefox.exe

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

If I have Win 7 (64-bit) why does it say its a Vista Driver Fault?

Collapse -
Even better, why does it call Windows 7 "XP"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2011 2:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe they combined the 2
by slims1179 / July 3, 2011 12:23 AM PDT

Maybe they took Vista & XP and combined the two and changed the "look" of them and came out with Win 7

Collapse -
My Dell XPS 64bit Crashes Too
by DellUser66 / July 25, 2011 2:20 AM PDT

My Dell XPS 64 crashes every day. Ironically that is exactly when I recieved solicitations from
1. Dell DataSafe Local Backup
2. Windows Global
3. WinZip(expired)
Any of you have the same solicitations after a crash restart??

Collapse -
Cross posting? Burying your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

Please stick to one NEW post or if you bury your posts, don't cross post.

Collapse -
Mine crashes too, a lot.
by BuddyBike / March 16, 2012 4:15 AM PDT

I have always liked Dell computers and don't know if it's a Dell issue. Seems to me that it's a Windows issue (Windows 7). I have a Dell Precision T3500. It's been suggested that I need more memory so I recently installed an upgrade but it's still happening. I will try to go to the max to see if it fixes the problem. I often get "display driver stopped working" messages. Sometimes screen goes black, freezes, then gets going again but most times screen just freezes and I can't SHIFT+ALT+DELETE or anything. My only resort is power button. Hate doing that. I have learned to work with my computer disability and I SAVE as if it's a involuntary reflex, like breathing. It is frustrating and hopefully more memory will help but otherwise, I have searched "display driver stopped working in windows" several times and find issues going back about 10 years!! Seems someone could fix that by now. I also run Adobe Creative Suite programs but crashes don't only occur while those programs are open.

Collapse -
Auto Power Down And Reboots Issue
by remarkrv / May 29, 2012 10:28 PM PDT

I have a similiar issue starting with my 2 1/2 year old XPS 9000. The first time the computer is powered up after it has been off for at least 8 hours it does one of two things. It suddenly without any warnings shuts down and re-boots.

The other thing is the USB ports will suddenly shut down. Then I have to do a forced power down with the power button.

After this happens it runs without problems, untill I power up after 8 hours of off time.

All diagnostic scans pass. I suspect the power supply or mother board but hate to invest money in it not knowing what the problem is.

Collapse -
I have a similar problem
by hggafsd / August 15, 2012 1:30 PM PDT

I have had a 530S for 4 - 5 years and I have had this problem continually. In my case (and maybe yours) the problem is usually the video card, but it's not the drivers. The fix when this starts to happen is to reseat the video card then the problem disappears for three or more months (sometimes it's the network card and the same trick works there). I've tried uing an eraser on the connectors but it doesn' seem to help. I can only imagine that the metal used for the connectors in the PCI slots oxidises over time...

Collapse -
by rktpcster / June 30, 2014 2:12 PM PDT

My Dell would suddenly just shut down, and when rebooting was done, the screen would go to the "normal startup" or the "safe mode" startup screen. I would reboot with normal startup, but would go black again after a variable time---from a minute to 10 minutes. I found that cleaning off the base of the SODIMMS helped this problem immensely....I'm too hesitant to use fine emory paper on the base, but used a Scotch brand kitchen cleaning sponge. Perhaps using something more abrasive than the Scotch would work 100%......

Collapse -
clean SODIMMS and fans
by Avy707 / June 30, 2015 5:40 PM PDT
In reply to: clean SODIMMS

I believe much of the issue is actually related to not just dust accumulated in the computer boards, but also not addressing power management. I would suggest opening up the power savings setting by right clicking Start, (search Power management) and click the change advance option, scroll down to processor power management, select maximum processor state and if it is 100%, drop to 99%. You may want to check system cooling policy above and select active rather than passive.
It's Summer time, so please keep in mind that temperature can play a key role as a reason for crashes, and ironically enough, freezes... Hahaha...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.