Computer Help

General discussion

CPU usage reaches 100% with almost nothing going on

by laelkins / May 12, 2009 1:56 PM PDT

I have XP home version on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, using modem and DSL. Getting on the Internet has gotten to be a frustrating thing- CPU usage fluctuates wildly and everything crawls... I don't know what to do. Have run McAfee scans and Toshiba diagnostic which says everything is fine. Hope someone has some suggestions on where I should start looking for the problem- thanks! LeeAnn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU usage reaches 100% with almost nothing going on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU usage reaches 100% with almost nothing going on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please let us know the specifications of the system.
by urielposselt / May 12, 2009 2:55 PM PDT

CPU =>
Memory Ram Size =>
Operative System =>

It is a brand new laptop or used one?

1. What I would recommend you is to check how many processes your computer is running when you are not doing anything on the system.

2. Then check when you are browsing the internet or running any application.

If you got the computer brand new, probably you are running a lot of programs right out of the box. Your system will be more affected if you have a single core and less than 2GB of memory ram.

Let me know.

Collapse -
CPU is always at 100% level
by bebe_pha / July 3, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

I have an old laptop

Toshiba Satellite A15-S157
Mobile Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
2.00 GHz. 752 MD of RAM

Slow like a turtle because the CPU is always at the level 100%, no matter what I do, even don't run any program, turned of the internet, still at 100% level. I ran Norton Internet Security but there're no signs of viruses or adwares.

Task Manager Shows:
Processes: 42
System: 98%
Idle Processes: 0%
cpu uSAGE: 100%
Commit Charge 240M/1069M
Disk space usage 7GB of of 33GB

Can someone please help me. Thank you.

Collapse -
The danger of hijacking other member's discussions
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 5:51 AM PDT

is that others start given help and advice for two different problems, and that can confuse and duplicate.

Please try and avoid that in future, and create your own discussion/thread if necessary.

Whilst you are here, you tell us that the Task Manager shows 100% cpu usage, but not what is using it all. Which process is using all the cpu?

Norton IS is a known resource hog on some systems, so you may want to look into replacing that. There are many free security utilities available.

Mark

Collapse -
Cut back on the background programs.
by griplock / July 4, 2009 1:44 AM PDT

Manage your startups. Your excess CPU usage may be caused by too many programs running in the background. You can cut these to barebones by altering your msconfig. Here is how:

1. Open your Start menu.
2. Click Run
3. In the command screen type "msconfig.exe"
4. In the "system configuration utility",click either "service" or "startup" tab
5. Uncheck all programs that your are no longer using.
6. Click "OK"
Hope this helps!

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature Website link which is prohibited in these forums. Please your site plug to your CNET profile. Thanks!

Collapse -
CPU is always at 100% level
by bebe_pha / July 6, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

Thanks for your the replies. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt other's people thread. I'm new to this forum and just want to join the discussion since I have a similar issue. I was a little confused and lost when been ask to enter the new subject title. At that point, I thought I was creating a new one.

@Markflex:
Before I install the Norton Internet Security, I aready had that problem, at that time I was using AVG. I even tried to run my labtop without any security softwares. One thing I could not figure out and that is none of the process shows that take away the CPU except System process is always at 98%.

@Griplock:
I ran the configuration utility and disable quite a few on both Services and Startup but the CPU still at the 100% level. Do you have any idea why?

Thanks.

Collapse -
If it is the System Process
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2009 8:24 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.