Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cpu usage overload 100%

by yasino / January 11, 2006 11:03 AM PST

xp sp2
i have a 3.2ghz processor 256mb graphics card nvidia 6200 and 1024 ram memeory

the problem occured when i tried to open an avi movie file, i was moving the avi film from my downloads to shared folder but when i looked in shared folder it wasn't there so iwent back my downloads folder. when i tried to open or delete it a pop-up appearred saying the file was in use by another program, after a while i was able to delete it by dragging it to recycle bin. but 3 days on when i open a folder or firefox or an application
the cpu usage goes from 7% to 100% and pf usage 550mb.
please help?

yasino

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cpu usage overload 100%
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cpu usage overload 100%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cpu usage 100%
by gswonsn / January 11, 2006 10:57 PM PST

The only way that I have been able to remedy this problem is the use of a program located at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Windows_XP_AVI_Fix.htm
You loose the thumbnail view of avi files when you install this program. Under the Microsoft Knowledge Base they say they have a hotfix for the problem but you must contact Microsoft support by telephone to receive information about the file.

Collapse -
cpu usage 100% still
by yasino / January 12, 2006 7:59 PM PST
In reply to: cpu usage 100%

hi the problem doesn't occure now . but still the overload of cpu is still prsent i tried scanning for virus add-ware ans spyware using add-ware by lavasoft spybot S&D and norton 2006. i even disabled programs which run in the background using msconfig,which were not needed but still cpu jumps to 100% back down to 45% then 5% and 100% again, what im at trying to say is its very unstable.
please advise again
thanxs for help.
yasino

Collapse -
cpu usage 100% still
by yasino / January 12, 2006 8:00 PM PST
In reply to: cpu usage 100%

(continuation of page 1) in reply to page 2
-----------------------------------------------/

hi the problem doesn't occure now regarding the avi locking. but still the overload of cpu is still prsent i tried scanning for virus add-ware ans spyware using add-ware by lavasoft spybot S&D and norton 2006. i even disabled programs which run in the background using msconfig,which were not needed but still cpu jumps to 100% back down to 45% then 5% and 100% again, what im at trying to say is its very unstable.
please advise again
thanxs for help.
yasino

Collapse -
running processes
by gswonsn / January 13, 2006 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: cpu usage 100% still

Have you looked in the Task Manager to see which processes are using the cpu? You can access the Task Manager by using Alt+Ctrl+Del and choosing Task Manager. Go to the processes tab at the top and you will be shown a list of all the processes that are currently running on your computer plus the amount of memory that they are using. See which one of these processes is taking up all the cpu. More than likely there will be one process that is doing it. If it is not an essential process you can stop it even though you will be warned not to. If it is an essential process to Windows then you have to seek another solution.
I am not surprised that Norton didn't find anything on your computer. After their announcment yesterday that they had installed a rootkit very much as Sony did to open a security hole in your computer. It seems that they were more interested in finding out what was on your computer than protecting it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.