Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CPU usage hits 100% while on line

by boxkauto / September 21, 2012 4:06 AM PDT

Over the last year I have some substantial slow downs while accessing the web. When the slow down occurs there is 100% CPU usage as listed under the task manager. iexplore.exe always has the highest memory usage when this happens and the computer stops responding. After a few seconds to minutes the CPU usage drops and computer starts working again. We are using XP Pro with all the latest service pack 3.
This is happening to 5 computers on the network. They are all set up the same. HPD220 MT with Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz and 1 BG of ram. They used to work fine. I have paid several different professionals to help with this. Is it time to replace computers? Other than Internet my network works fine. I am told my Internet speeds, modem or network are not the issue.The slow down happened 2 times while posting this message. I am not that computer literate. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU usage hits 100% while on line
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU usage hits 100% while on line
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today's single core PCs will likely do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 4:08 AM PDT

As time passed those antivirus apps, and even a script on a web page can cause this on older single core PCs.

You could try looking at the task manager to see if there is some App at 100% and then you have more tools like Process Explorer but there is NO simple do this cure. You have to dive in.

Collapse -
by Max Van Weezwijk / September 22, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

Have you tried Google Chrome or Opera as alternate browsers. You don't have to switch to them but they can be valuable troubleshooters depending on whether they behave the same way as IE or don't exhibit the problem.

As mentioned, not so much interested in memory use, unless its using a ton, like almost a gig or more, or there is only a half gig total installed and some of that is shared with video memory. More important to see what's occupying the CPU. If the CPU is not bogged down then it could be something with any of the web pages you are visiting not interacting well with IE, in which case Chrome or Opera should work and point you toward the problem. You can also go into Internet options>>Advanced and reset all the IE settings.

The same thing happening to all computers on the same network might point to a router or modem problem as well. Some late models have a design flaw when it comes to streaming media that can make them slow and unresponsive after a while. Try cycling the router, if the problem takes a while to develop, could be the router, if the problem is immediate, probably not the router. Also, it would not be the router if other browsers work fine as mentioned earlier.

Collapse -
CPU usage enormous
by torchwood12 / December 1, 2012 3:22 AM PST

I agree with Max. I had (have) same problem with "iexplore.exe" taking about 2 GB with freezes/hangs when accessing IE8 with MSN and Hotmail. Usually had to "End Task" to back out.
ried everything (have dual core, Proffit) , posted on many forums, got non-helpful responses. Finally got Chrome, imported my email, bookmarks and settings and find the workaround good. Leaving the whole question of what and why? unsolved. Frustrated, but practical -- give up what is killing you!
Good luck.

Collapse -
We did find a new cause.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2012 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: CPU usage enormous

It was a rootkit. It's not helpful to folk yet since there is no easy fix.

We've tried to cure this a few ways and we have an open discussion in the CNET Spyware Forum in hopes someone will come up with a more helpful cure. The cures I know of are too hard for everyday folk or unacceptable to some as the second cure is to reload the OS.

For now I see people using Chrome and other browsers since this one looks to be something that has dug in really deep.

Sorry if I can't help you but this one is a bad one.

Collapse -
by torchwood12 / January 14, 2013 12:49 AM PST

Just now saw your post. Good reply, thanks. Right now I ignore IE, except "in your face" action by IE. McAfee has incorporated the IE interface (touch screens) into theirs and lost functionality for users who, through choice, do not have the latest (and most bloated) systems installed. The red "x"s part of problem, or side effect. Cause still unknown. (RKILL did not find anything)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.