Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

cpu usage

by doughboy / September 19, 2013 1:42 AM PDT

windows 8 with 1 tarabite my cpu runs 30 to35% I think that's to high some programs freeze up what services is it safe to stop and if I stop them will thay stay inactive when start my pc again?also I would like to know what I can do to make my system faster? thanks

doughboy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cpu usage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cpu usage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by doughboy

Collapse -
CPU usage
by wpgwpg / September 19, 2013 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu usage

The culprit seems to be the Adobe flash player, a plugin to your browser. It is constantly checking for updates in both Windows 7 and 8, and eats a lot of CPU cycles. It would be nice if they'd fix that, but so far I haven't found a way to do that other than disabling it. If I disable it though, I get a whole lot of web sites wanting it to be enabled, not the least of which is the CNET forums. Plain

Collapse -
Seems to be the new normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2013 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu usage

I looked at the Windows 8 Metro desktop and out of the box it's pretty busy. Once I launch an app then these tiles seem to go quiet and my app runs at full tilt.

Therefore it appears that stopping this will not make your PC any faster.

Given this story, what PC is this? Maybe you need more RAM or a faster HDD?

Collapse -
by doughboy / September 19, 2013 9:52 AM PDT

ok I just wanted to find out about the cpu being so high my old system ran 2-4% windows is so new and different thanks for the help

Collapse -
I am seeing the change here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2013 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: window8

Windows 95 to 7 pretty subscribed to the idea that a computer should boot and then CEASE using the HDD and CPU after it's done.

Windows 8 takes a new run at that idea and if you are seeing what I'm seeing, all those tiles take some CPU time to make them active. I do see I can remove tiles and the load goes down.

But my final option was to install Classic Shell and forget Metro. Seems a shame as I bet they spent millions on something I don't use.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.