Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU running at 100% but nothing running! HELP!

by gareth_sheep / September 26, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

I have a Celeron 2.5GHz, 760mb RAM running XP SP2. Now and again, my computer just grinds to a hault. Things still work, but very, very slowly. When I open task manager the performance tab reads CPU running at 100%, but when I click on Processes (and with all users checked) it read 00 in CPU column for ALL programs. Apparently nothing is running, yet the CPU is at full hilt. The only way to stop it is either wait it out and (most times) it eventually sorts itself out and returns to normal functioning or Restart. It is very annoying and shouldn't really happen.

Help, please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU running at 100% but nothing running! HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU running at 100% but nothing running! HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since it's a single core...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2007 6:21 AM PDT

Windows can go 100% CPU bound in some driver or service and not show up. In fact my favorite one are network shares that are offline and every 10 minutes the CPU gets busy.

Your post tells so little that maybe you can share more. If it is truly hidden tell us what you do to look for ROOTKITS which hide quite well.

Bob

Collapse -
What else do you need to know...
by gareth_sheep / September 26, 2007 6:27 AM PDT

What else can I tell you that you need to know... I'll do anything to stop it doing this. What's this ROOTKITS thing you talk of? Is that a program that I can download that searches for things that are hidden. By the way my issue is a regular one, it only happens once in a session, not every ten minutes... And if something was running in the background, would everything else really read 00. It says nothing is running despite that I could have MSN, IE7, AV, firewall all running....??

Collapse -
There's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2007 6:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
more....
by gareth_sheep / September 26, 2007 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: There's a clue.

I'm running Sygate Personal Firewall.

As for turning some programs off, makes no difference. Whatever is running, they all read 00 in the CPU column on task manager despite also saying the CPU is at 100%. It seems to happen just after startup. I wondered if it was due to IE7.. any thoughts? I'm running RootkitRevealer now.

Collapse -
I don't run IE (any version.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2007 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: more....

Sorry. Can't comment on that...

Bob

Collapse -
You're infected
by SlamX / October 6, 2007 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: more....

You are infected with either spyware or a virus. First turn off Systme restore. Rt clcik My Computer/Properties/System Restore Tab.

Then open Start/Run/ and type msconfig. go to the startup Tab and uncheck everything. will be prompted to reboot..do so.

Get these programs and run them in safemode. All are free
AVG-anti virus
CCleaner
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Google for them you will find them all.

This should fix it. Keep them all up to date and run often.

Collapse -
no i'm not
by gareth_sheep / October 8, 2007 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: You're infected

did all that, i'm not totally stupid. besides, why would it only work for some of the time and then resolve itself and only do it on some start ups - viruses are always going...

Collapse -
Don't be so sure...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2007 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: no i'm not

I've found some nasties that elude the names of antivirus. Mostly those rootkit varieties. Share more clues for us to work with.

If we reach a dead end, a post of your HIJACKTHIS and EVEREST log output files could give us a peek under the hood but reading such is optional here.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok so you think you're not infected
by SlamX / October 9, 2007 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: no i'm not

Go to the the task manager. Open the Processes. Start ending processes one at a time and see if CPU usage drops. You may have a program running with a memory leak thus the CPU usage is eaten up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.