Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CPU running at 100%

by rlfrankfurt / December 25, 2007 5:32 AM PST

The breaker (no surge protect) that my desktop is on was tripped the other day. Computer would not re-start until following day. Now, sound and USB do not work and machine (XP) is running really, really slowly. Ran AVG and Spybot. Task mgr. shows SYSTEM using 100%. Will it help to re-load operating system, get new motherboard, or is this Gateway now junk? Need recommendation.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU running at 100%
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU running at 100%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure if this would work...
by fjord_fox / December 25, 2007 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: CPU running at 100%

Either you have a problem that is stumping everyone, or because it is Christmas, nobody's had the time to answer you. I'm not sure how to solve this problem myself, but this is what I would do if it happened to me.

I suspect that if you were to go to your folder at C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name)\Local Settings\Temp, you would find that there are a lot of .tmp files and maybe even one or more .exe files, and if you do find any .exe files, then they are probably working in the Task Manager. (To see this folder, you have to open Folder Options and click on "Display the contents of system folders" and "Show hidden files and folders". Then uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files. (Recommended)")

First, since I am a backup fanatic, I would use my latest backup to restore everything in its perfect form again. However, it sounds like that is not an option with you. In that case, I would use System Restore to go as far back as I could, hoping that whatever has caused such a problem would disappear from that.

The next thing I would do is to clear out my temporary files and my temporary Internet files and cookies. Rather than to re-write everything again, I will refer you to where I have written those instructions for someone else. (If that doesn't take you directly to my post, it's post 4 of 6--and then read post 6 of 6 too.)

I forgot in that post to mention that in both of the Temp folders, there should be one file that you cannot delete because it is active. In the user settings temp folder it is a .tmp file and in the Windows\Temp folder it is one that would be called something like Perflib_Perfdata_700.dat. If you have any more than one, then delete as many as you can, re-boot, and then try again.

Try this and see if it does anything. I can't hurt, and would only result in a cleaner PC. If you still have the same problem, then come back and make another post to ask for more help. I hope it works for you.

Collapse -
OR as Extension of Same Idea BUT More Extensive..
by tobeach / December 25, 2007 1:57 PM PST

You can get CCleaner Slim which cleans out many & varied unnecessary file build ups. This version is 100% adware/spyware free.

One of it's options is defaulted to "only clean Windows Temp files older than...." You can uncheck this option and it will wipe ALL Windows Temps each time you run it. Normally less than 5 seconds except FIRST run which can take awhile as often 100's of megs need initial cleaning. This "uncheck" is also used when an infection has located itself in Temp files as a base to operate from. By deleting contents, you remove such infections (Like Java-Byte Verify).
You may recheck this box for normal cleaning operation if desired.
Not a cure but a good product to have & use daily & it's free!!

Note: If you have multiple desktops on your machine, CCleaner should be run on EACH desktop to clean that profiles' items. This avoids possible cleaning of each others files by error. Cleaning settings can be set individually for each desktop by clicking it's CCleaner Icon.

Note: If you have "log-on" cookies you want to keep, they can be selected to be missed during cleaning >Options>Cookies.

Standard build includes the Yahoo! Toolbar (Adware) but won't load toolbar IF YOU uncheck the box for it during installation. In that case I prefer to have least system resources used i.e. the "slim" build.
If using built in updater, upon reaching download page select "other builds" to get slim version.

Alternatively, add the download page below to your IE Favorites or Bookmarks list and use it to check for updates about once per month.
In "Options", click on "Settings" and uncheck:
"automatically check for updates" to do updates manually from link below and select "slim" build.

Link for CCleaner SLIM & Standard:

CC Free Help Forums & Support:

Help file (descriptions of items to be cleaned) to print out (click left side Cleaner Information):

This will at least be an immediate help and a good long term utility.

I suggest MILDER than default setting for normal use. NOTHING checked on front page Windows Tab under "ADVANCED".
Use EXTREME caution when considering using "ISSUES" registry clean-up!

You'll wonder how you survived without it. You're gonna Love it!!
Enjoy! Grin

P.S.: Also use Control+Alt+delete together(C/A/D) to bring up Task Mgr. It maybe SLOW to appear on screen due to little resources.
and write down WHAT is using soo much resources to take up 100%.
You can stop that process there.

Collapse -
Got the email "SYSTEM RESTORE"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2007 12:04 AM PST

"System restore

I tried various dates for restore, but the system will not allow it. I know--it sounds weird, but it's true. I don't understand it.

Bob Frankfurt"

Sadly this is just a portion of what Windows may have reported in some "error message". As it stands I don't see any exit for you except the above or just reloading the OS after you save the files you can't lose to DVD or other media copies.

Collapse -
a reply to: CPU running at 100%
by danthevan / December 26, 2007 2:38 AM PST

hi there

go here and download Process Explorer v11.04 (from ms and its free)

this program is like task manager but it goes a lot more in depth

run program then look near the top for DPC(deferred procedure calls)
is your 100% there ?? post back

sounds to me like one of your drivers has become corrupt especially

seen as you have no audio or usb

also try right clicking on my computer on desktop or start menu then click properties once you are there click on the hardware tab

then click on device manager when that appears click on view at the top then show hidden devices now look at all the hardware in device manager are there any black question marks in a yellow circle

post back

also need your system specs (what pc ,what graphics card, network card audio etc post back)

ive seen this problem a few times with the following hardware

nvidia Geforce6800
sigmatel audio
some d link network cards
are just a few

cheers dan

Collapse -
Re: 100% CPU by SYSTEM
by Kees Bakker / December 26, 2007 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: CPU running at 100% is old and probably not relevant (an erroneous Trend Micro update) has quite something else, but that resembles your situation rather well: a UPS problem. A reload of the OS didn't help here. Try it without the breaker. says it can be any device that reacts strange due to the power problems. Not necessarily the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
In addition to what we have told you...
by fjord_fox / December 26, 2007 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: 100% CPU by SYSTEM

and especially to what Kees has just told you, if you ARE running Trend Micro here is a variation to the first step that Kees listed. This is what Trend Micro Support told me to do when I had another problem with their software.
01. Find the folder that your Trend Micro is installed in and double-click on "TISSuprt.exe"
02. When the window opens, click on "2. Quit All Components".
03. Click on the "[E] Uninstall" tab and click on "1. Delete Files".
04. Click on the "[A] General" tab and click on "4. Disable"
05. Reboot the System
06. Repeat steps # 1 and #2 again.
07. When the window opens, click on ?3. Enable? and reboot again.
08. Find the Trend Micro folder again.
09. Open the AU Data folder and delete everything from it, leaving it completely empty.
You may want to turn off the Trend Micro firewall and turn it back on (or leave it off, but make sure that you at least have the Windows Firewall running.) That is on the ?[E] Uninstall? tab.

The problem that we are having in trying to help you, as Bob has indicated, is that you are not giving us enough information that we need to know to help you, for example, Bob indicated that what you e-mailed to him was only part of an error message. Had you given him the entire message, word-for-word and listed the ?error message number?, Bob would have been able to help you better. We all could. When we do not have the information we need, we can only guess at what the problem might be.

There could be any number of things that would cause your system to use 100% CPU, but surely, your system must be giving you an error message that would tell you exactly WHAT it is that is causing the problem.

My son had a 100% CPU problem and it turned out that it was some kind of virus or something on his system. In his case, following the steps that I listed in post #2 and then a virus scan AFTER rebooting is what worked on his computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.