Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU keeps going to 100%--any suggestions to remedy?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 14, 2008 7:51 AM PST

Hi, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 and I have developed a
problem where by the CPU keeps going to 100% and either
freezes the PC or slows it down to virtually standstill. I
have searched on the net and found that quite a few people
have this problem. I tried some of the fixes suggested, but
they didn't work. I have to reboot the PC and then it?s fine
for awhile. What could possibly be causing this problem? Is
this a problem with the operating system or is it a hardware
problem? I hope you can help with this problem. Cheers!

--Submitted by Anthony K.

Answer voted most helpful by the CNET Community newsletter readers:

CPU Usage Stuck at 100%

There are many things that can cause a computer to show 100% when you display the CPU usage. Spyware, viruses, bad drivers or damaged programs can all lead to this type of problem. In some cases, it can be a known issue with your specific model computer, so you should first check the website for your computer to see if you see anything there regarding this issue. If not, then there are several ways to approach this problem.

1. BACKUP Your Data ? Sorry but I can never say this enough. You should never work on a computer without first backing up any critical data.

2. As mentioned above, check your manufacturer?s website for any known problems with your specific computer model.

3. System Restore ? If the problem just started within the last few days, there is always a fair chance that running a Windows System Restore and setting your computer back a few days may solve your problem. But if you have had the problem for awhile OR you have installed a bunch of programs or updates recently then this may not work at all. System Restore can be found by going to START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM RESTORE. Note: I would not recommend going back more than a week or so.

4. Virus and Spyware ? I can only assume that you already did this but a computer that is infected with viruses and/or spyware can exhibit this type of behavior. So make sure that your computer is totally clean by running full virus and Spyware scans. You may even want to double check by running one of the many free online virus scans.

5. Identify the Process - See if you can identify a specific process that is using the most CPU percentage. Use Ctrl+Alt+Del to open task manager and click on the processes tab. Scroll down through the list for any process that has the highest CPU percentage. You can try to end that process and see if that helps and then Google the name of the process to help figure out what it is. You may luck out and find the exact program to uninstall or update to fix the problem. But, in most cases it will turn out to be one of the many generic windows processes and may not really give you any real clue as to the exact problem.

6. Disconnect Peripherals ? Shut down your computer and unplug all external devices such as Printers, Scanners and Backup Drives. Leave only your Mouse, Keyboard and Internet Connection plugged in and reboot your computer to see if the problem is still there. If the problem goes away, plug things back in, one at a time until you have isolated the problem device.

7. Shut Down Startup Items ? Use msconfig to Shut down all startup programs and reboot the computer to see if the problem goes away. If it does then go back and methodically turn back ON individual startup items until the problem returns. Once you isolate the offending program, you can Google the name of the file to find out which program it is related to. To use MSCONFIG click on START and then RUN and type msconfig in the run box and then click on OK. Click on the STARTUP tab and you will be presented with a list of items that are going to run automatically every time the computer starts. You can select or deselect any items the you want to start when your computer boots. Now click on OK and reboot your computer. You can go back anytime and run msconfig to turn back on any items that you choose until you find which one is causing your problem.

8. Update all drivers for your computer ? Go to the website for your computer and download and install the latest drivers for your computer. Start with Chipset, Video, and Sound drivers first, followed by network, modem and others.

9. Update Bios ? In some cases the Bios may need updating, but I would stay away from this unless you really know what you are doing, because you can permanently damage your computer if you mess up during this process.

10. Problematic Programs ? There are many programs that have been known to cause this type of problem. For example some earlier versions of Kodak Easy Share software had this problem. Norton and some other antivirus software can become corrupt and cause this issue as well as software and drivers associated with many All-In-One printers. You should suspect any program that calls home for updates as well as file sharing programs like kazza and limewire. Other VOIP software such as Skype can also be a problem. I would suggest uninstalling any programs that you do not need at this moment to help isolate the problem. NOTE: Do not uninstall anything you want that you do have a way to reinstall such as having the original CD?s or downloads.

11. Full Recovery or Reinstallation ? If all else fails then you may have to resort to a full system Recovery or a reinstallation of Windows. This would be a last resort, but can rejuvenate a computer to like new condition and for some problems, may even be less time consuming.

Good Luck and Please keep us posted as to what you find.

Wayland Computer

Submitted by waytron

If you have any additional suggestions or experience of your own to share with Anthony, please click the reply link and post away. Please be detailed as possible in your answers. Thank you!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU keeps going to 100%--any suggestions to remedy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU keeps going to 100%--any suggestions to remedy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System configuration
by welrdelr / February 15, 2008 7:22 AM PST

How much memory do you have installed?
How many processes are running?
Does it do the same in safe mode?

You are using a memory demanding OS that allows you very little control over the system- performance is included- and very few options for correction. If my cpu usage is at 100%, it is because:
using multiple virtual environments, 3d rendering, system rebuilding, network scanning on multiple terminals, limited memory, and limited cache. I use beta and research OSes quite a bit, I know what performance is.

No, I doubt if it is a hardware problem, but: Install another operating system- not some version of windows- and use it intensively. If you have the same problem, then it is hardware.

Collapse -
scheduled programs?
by mittens / February 15, 2008 8:34 AM PST

Go to Programs,/ Systems Tools,/ Accessories, /Scheduled Tasks.

this will show you what if any programs are running on a set schedule. You may have set them up, or they may have been already in place when you got your computer.

Determine which of them you need running (I have none, and we are all happier for it), and close out the others.

what happens is, when a scheduled task starts running, it uses up an enormous about of your CPU. Things will just stop moving until it stops running. This may be a few seconds, or it may be much longer.

If you happen to have two or more tasks scheduled to run near each other, time wise, then you can be experiencing frequent slowdowns and stops, all day long. If you leave the computer on all night, as many people do, schedule your tasks to run then.

But for the most part most of them are unnecessary. This may not be the solution, but it's worth a try.

Collapse -
CPU @ 100%
by skenn_ie / February 22, 2008 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: scheduled programs?

A friend had his WinXP system do this ... after a thunderstorm !. Reinstalling XP cured it !

Collapse -
Correct order to check Scheduled Tasks
by billangell / February 23, 2008 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: scheduled programs?

The correct order is: Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks Change the view to details to see when the tasks will be performed.

Collapse -
by johnt011 / February 15, 2008 8:47 AM PST

CTRL-ALT-DELETE open processes look for the process that is hogging the CPU, click and close the process, Only temp but you wont have to restart. Mine is McNasvc.exe I can't find a way to stop it permenently if you do email me

Collapse -
mcnasvc.exe is a process associated with McAfee
by crisantoap / February 22, 2008 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: CPU HOG

mcnasvc.exe is a process associated with McAfee Integrated Security Platform from McAfee, Inc.. that's why you can't stop it permanently. it's either you remove mcafee completely or you might as well reconfig it.

Collapse -
MSCONFIG / Startup / boot / Services
by DADSGETNDOWN / February 23, 2008 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: CPU HOG

You don't see it in MSCONFIG in the Startup or Services tabs ?
There you will be able to do ALOT.
Click, Start/ RUN type msconfig click OK.

Collapse -
100% CPU
by horiageorg / February 15, 2008 8:59 AM PST

Uninstall the last software you installed.

Collapse -
by potterman6293 / February 15, 2008 9:32 AM PST

If you are running a Norton 2007 product on this computer, a scanning program titled AppSvc32.exe will occasionally run a quick scan of your system and, if you Google the service name, you will find that it takes up and often time freezes many computers. Most often Norton will scan on start-up and whenever you have received protection updates. The best way to deal with this problem is to, when your computer seizes up suddenly, to close all open programs, open up the Task Manager, open the Processes tab, and wait until you see both the virtual memory size (VM Size) and the CPU usage drop substantially.

Collapse -
100% usage
by micker377 / February 15, 2008 9:34 AM PST

I had this problem for a long time. I increased my memory to two gig, and now the most intensive program never goes over 30%!

Collapse -
by wizardb / February 15, 2008 9:35 AM PST

wipe and reload best fix.

Collapse -
by norma52 / February 15, 2008 9:46 AM PST

This software is programmed to clean my computer at start. I have been using it for quite a while. Should I run it manually instead? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Collapse -
Determine what is using the CPU and then disable it
by paintballdude / February 15, 2008 9:51 AM PST

What I'd recommend doing first is finding out what program is using all of the CPU. To do that, bring up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), and click the "Processes" tab. In that window, click the "CPU" tab to sort all of your programs in order of CPU use. When the CPU really starts being used, take note of what program is using the most at that time. Then use MSCONFIG to get it out of the startup. You can pull up MSCONFIG from right in the Task Manager - choose the "Applications" tab and than click the "New Task..." button. Simply type in MSCONFIG and it will open up. You'll than find the program you want to disable either under the "Services" or "Startup" tab of MSCONFIG. Uncheck it to make sure it doesn't start up with your computer again. If it's a program you don't need or don't use, I'd recommend uninstalling it from the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs application. Good luck with your problem - hope this helps!

Collapse -
Me too!
by logcabiny / February 15, 2008 9:53 AM PST

This is the first time the CNET question is EXACTLY my situation, too. I can't wait to see the answers submitted. I'm so excited with this opportunity. Many thanks to Anthony K.

Collapse -
CPU Memory always at 100% during browsing
by pmnimje / November 7, 2008 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Me too!

I came across this issue on this forum but no could not find the solution.

I am having Sony Vaio laptop (1.6 GHz, 80 GB hard disk and 1 GB RAM). Since 3 months, I am facing major issues. Whenever I start browing (IE or Opera or Firefox) or even when connect external hard disk (to copy data to my laptop), CPU shoots to 100% and stays there making my machine dead slow.
Finally I did the following:
1) Did the complete system restore and now laptop is set to factory setting with no extra software and all 80 GB free. So it is as good as new system
2) also increaded RAM to 1 GB from initial 512 MB
3) have done all performance related task like Defragmentation, Disk
cleenup. I guess since its a fresh system recovery, so no need of doing this.
4) Have Mcafee running on my machine and no virus threat detected.
5) All drivers are up to date
6) have done the complete system dusting and cleenup using comressed air can.

Finally I found something related to my issue on microft support site.
This was the exact problem what I was facing and I upgraded my windows XP Professional SP2 to latest SP3 patch. STILL THE SAME OLD PROBLEM PERSITS.
Any solution would be really be appreciated.

Collapse -
by Briancurly1 / January 9, 2009 6:34 AM PST

Collapse -
Memory Hog
by AFleer / February 15, 2008 10:10 AM PST

Some programs (Firefox is one) get more memory to use, then, after use, neglect to release it back into the common pool of available memory. Eventually, this results in your memory utilization in Window Task Manager, Processes tab, showing that the offending program is using enormous amounts of memory so no other program can operate, or operate sparingly. For example, right now, My Task Manager is using 143,000K of memory and processor utilization stands at 98%. At other times, my Outlook uses 65% of cpu time, again slowing my machine. These are my two main problems with a slowing machine; overload of one part or another.

Collapse -
Same here
by heb113 / February 15, 2008 10:12 AM PST

This sounds like a problem that I've had for the past 4-5 months.
I'm running XP-Pro, SP2, 544mb ram, with an older GW2K, PIII-600MhZ.
Initially I thought it was just some system maintenance that was needed.
After a few times, I called up my task manager and found that I have 12 svchost.exe processes running. One will be running at 85% to 97% of cpu resources.
I then went into my msconfig utility and began turning off what I considered useless, or unnecessary programs that loaded upon boot up.
over the course of the next month or so I found that this was a standard occurrence regardless of what I did.

I then contacted my AV provider and asked if there was a virus because my AV program would have a malfunction on a regular basis. They could only tell me to uninstall, run an online scan, and then re-install.
This did nothing to stop the malfunction from occurring, and I ultimately noticed that my AV program had not updated in over 45 days.

At this point I downloaded some free AV and antispam programs that also found no viruses, or spam.
At this point I began looking on google to see if multiple svchost processes were somehow caused by viruses.
While I found numerous articles that implied this hypothesis, I never found any distinct article that definitively clarified it one way or another.

I then decided to contact the AV maker directly, instead of my ISP who acts as a go between.
They of course directed me back to the ISP, and we appear to have resolved the AV issue malfunctioning, but I still have 12 svchost.exe processes loading every time I boot up.

At one point I did read up on a MS KB article that told how to determine which svchost process is performing what task, but I could never figure out how to stop it from occurring altogether.
I think I even went to the MS newsgroups, and don't ever remember anyone ever responding. I did just find a response from MS tech support on the topic. I'll go back through this again. (I'll post their response below)

Now when I boot up, after about ten minutes all of the svchost.exe processes will be at max, and I'll go into my task manager to see what's taking place. When I see one that's running at the high percentage rate, I'll terminate it.
shortly thereafter another svchost.exe process will go to the high percentage. I'll then terminate it, and after a couple of moments my screen will flicker, and the taskbar will turn white, and take anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes to recover. Sometimes it won't recover at all, and I'll need to reboot.

It's my considered opinion at this point that my system is either just getting too old, or there is a virus affecting my system-- that has gotten so deep into my system that no virus checker has been able to find and eradicate it.

So, I'd like to join Anthony's request for assistance.

Here is the response I obtained from MS's tech support on the topic.
Hello Steve,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I apologize for the delay in our response to your issue. Due to an increase in requests, our response time is longer than usual. I appreciate your patience in this regard.

I understand from your message that 8 svchost's are running at once, and one of them is taking upwards of about 95% CPU capacity on Windows XP Professional.

I have included some self-help resources that may address your issue, and information on how to contact Technical Support. If the self-help resources that are provided do not resolve your issue, or if you prefer assisted technical support, you can contact the technical support team directly at the URL provided below:

Assisted Support:

You may work with a Microsoft Support Professional via e-mail, telephone, and chat to resolve your issue. Depending on how you obtained your software, there may be fees to use the Assisted Support option. Please visit the following link to contact the Support Team regarding your issue with Windows XP Professional:

Please note that if the Microsoft Windows XP Professional came from your computer manufacturer, please contact your computer manufacturer directly. Contact information for most major computer manufacturers is available at:

Self-Help Resources:

Steve, you may search the Product Solution Center or the Knowledge Base of self-help articles to resolve your issue using the following link regarding your issue with Windows XP Professional:

You may also post your issue in the Microsoft news groups. Please visit the link below to look for a possible resolution regarding your issue with Windows XP Professional:

I hope your issue is resolved at the earliest and appreciate your patience in this regard. Meeting and exceeding your expectations are my top priorities.

Thank you,

Microsoft Customer Service Representative

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please send it to my manager, Smita Singh, at Please do not forget to indicate the name of my manager in the subject field.

--- Original Message ---

Sent : Friday, November 30, 2007 3:58:18 AM UTC
To :
Subject : svchost issues

O/S: Win-XP, Pro-SP2
Br: IE 6.0.2900.2180.....
Country/Region: United States

Windows XP Professional

Message: I have 8 svchost's running at once, and one of them is taking upwards of 95% or more of my cpu's capacity.
I've read up on this from various links through google, and they all state that this is most likely a virus.
I have run my virus scans, and have all of my AV definitions up to date. It has not recognized this as a virus.
Do you have any better/comprehensive information on this topic than KB 314056?
Is there a patch, or a fix for this?
I have no crashes, no system failures, etc...
My sole problem-- so far-- is that one of the svchost's is taking almost all of my cpu capacity.

Collapse -
How to tell what Service is using servicehost
by catboy / February 18, 2008 7:27 PM PST
In reply to: Same here
Collapse -
Wow! That's a good one! Thanks!!!
by Cadillac84 / February 25, 2008 10:49 PM PST

I am not having a problem, but I use TaskMgr a lot, so I had a look at this. It is just super! Thanks for the tip.

Collapse -
My comment about CPU usage is 100%
by vcooper1 / February 23, 2008 1:32 AM PST

One of the biggest problems I see that causes this problem is the lack of installed memory on your motherboard. At present day, there are many who think 512MB of ram is enough. Years ago when I started building my own PC's & understanding the difference between configurations. I realized that 512MB of ram is bare minimum.
So I started using 1GB of ram. All was fine for a long time untill one day I installed "Computer Associates" Pest control. It turns out that the utility was a memory hog for some reason. My system slowed down very bad almost to a crawl. As soon as I removed it it was better. from that day forward, as of 4 years ago, I install no less than 2GB of ram. That gave a serious performance boost. You may not want to believe this but, I've seen it with my own eyes. When you install more ram & reboot, & the ram is recognized, you should see a jump or improvement in system performance. If you were to one day decide or find you must Reformat & reinstall windows for whatever reason. You may notice what I have, that is, you get even better performance. Of course I know you will say it's because the system is clean & off to a fresh start, but I also believe it is because you just gave Windows the oppertunity to re-write the memory allocation addresses in the registry. The system will now use the added ram more efficiently.

Collapse -
multiple svchost processes
by citroen_ds / February 28, 2008 9:11 AM PST

Multiple svchost processes are not caused by viruses. They are running various aspects of your computer. Ending any task in the task manager is not a good idea if you don't know what it does. Read the warning. This may be why your computer crashes when you arbitrarily delete one. 600Mhz is rather slow by todays standard-things change so fast. I found this info and I hope it helps.

What is the svchost.exe file?

Microsoft Windows executable file labeled as: "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services". This is a required Windows file and is used to load needed DLL files that are used with Microsoft Windows and Windows programs that run on your computer.

This file is located in either the c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32 directories depending on your version of Windows and may also be located in the dllcache directory if present.

Why do I have multiple svchost.exe processes running in Task Manager?

Multiple svchost.exe files are loaded when a program needs to be grouped from other Windows services. This is a normal operation of Windows and it is common to see three or four svchost.exe in the Task Manager processes.

Is svchost.exe a virus or trojan?

There are viruses that can infect this file and may run as a SVCHOST.EXE service. If you think your computer may be infected with a computer virus that is causing problems with this service, we recommend you update your virus protection program and visit the Microsoft Windows update page instead of attempting to manually fix the problem.

If your antivirus protection software does not detect a virus or other malware your computer is not infected and the svchost.exe file is not a virus.

SVCHOST.EXE error with 0xe03c3a68 or computer crashes with this file when opening Microsoft Internet Explorer

Users experiencing an error with the above memory address are infected with the blaster virus.

How can I remove svchost.exe?

This file is an important Windows file and needed by Windows. Removing this file would cause Windows to no longer function. If this file is infected with a virus your antivirus program should be able to quarantine or delete the file.

How can I view what applications svchost is handling?

To determine what are in the svchost.exe file you will need either tlist.exe if you are running Windows 2000, or tasklist.exe if you are running Windows XP. Windows users can also view what is running under svchost through Windows defender.

Running the tlist and tasklist program

Windows XP users can run this program by clicking Start / Run and type "command" or "cmd" and press enter. From the MS-DOS prompt, type "tasklist /svc" and press enter.

Windows 2000 users can run this program by clicking Start / Run and type "command" or "cmd" and press enter. From the MS-DOS prompt, type "tlist -s" and press enter.

* If you are unable to run or locate this file on the computer, see below steps on installing this file onto your computer.

Tasklist Windows XP Installation

Windows XP Home users will need to download the tasklist.exe file from our Windows XP download section.

Windows XP Professional users that are unable to locate this file can expand it from the i386 directory on their Windows XP Professional CD or download the file from the above link. Unfortunately, the Windows XP Home CD does not contain this file.

Tlist Windows 2000 Installation

If you do not have this file you will need to install the Microsoft Windows 2000 support tools. To do this, place the Windows 2000 CD into the computer and run setup.exe from \SUPPORT\TOOLS directory.

Example of what is seen in tlist and tasklist

Below is an example of what the Windows XP output of tasklist may look like.

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
========================= ====== ================ ======== ============
cmd.exe 6076 Console 0 132 K
notepad.exe 1152 Console 0 2,660 K
firefox.exe 5868 Console 0 397,008 K
SecureCRT.EXE 4288 Console 0 10,968 K
thunderbird.exe 1812 Console 0 54,572 K
notepad.exe 532 Console 0 1,584 K
perl.exe 1528 Console 0 48,936 K

Below is an example of what Windows 2000 would display for the svchost services. With tlist.exe or tasklist.exe you should see information similar to the below example.

444 svchost.exe Svcs: RpcSs
552 svchost.exe Svcs: EventSystem,Netman,NtmsSvc,RasMan,SENS,TapiSrv
792 svchost.exe Svcs: wuauserv

Viewing running processes through Windows defender

Microsoft Windows Defender is also capable of viewing all applications and processes running including those within svchost can be found through Windows Defender as explained below.

1. These steps require that you have Windows Defender installed on your computer.
2. Open Windows Defender if not already open by clicking Start, Programs, and clicking Windows Defender.
3. Click Tools.
4. Click Software Explorer.
5. Click the down arrow next to Category and click Currently Running Programs.

Any "Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" for Windows XP users or "Microsoft(R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System" items listed in the list are portions of the svchost.

Collapse -
CPU 100 %
by indymax / February 15, 2008 10:17 AM PST

I had the same problem Turned out that the CPU was going bad. The fan was not cooling it and if finally Fried according to the Tech. Tech replaced CUP and now it works fine.

Collapse -
please try out quickheal total security
by vijaymande / February 22, 2008 4:26 PM PST
In reply to: CPU 100 %

we at nashik,state maharshtra, country : india , had faced the same problem at our clients place. then we found that there were malwares ,and adwares before we had installed qhts .then we cleaned the machine with the quickheal emergency disk and then loaded the full version .i.e.., licensced version of quickheal total security along with quickheal firewall , and found that the unnecessary svhost.exe which was trying to run automatically were blocked. hope your problem will be sorted out with this.

vijay mande

Collapse -
Find the cause
by LionsMike / February 15, 2008 10:23 AM PST

When you find this happening (I do also) Open your Task Manager by pressing simultaneously Ctrl-Alt-Delete. On the bottom you will see the CPU usage displayed in percent. Normally the Applicatuions tab and list will be displayed. Look at it and observe which programs are active. Check the status. If one is reporting "not responding", highlight it and click on End Task (or Alt-E)give it a few seconds.

If that does not take care of the problem click on the Processes tab. you will see a list of running processes. There is a CPU column which displays the % of CPU that each process is using. Scroll up and down to find the process that is using up the CPU. BE CAREFULL ending a process here can lead to problems.

Some of the Image Names will be obvious and you may at that time determine which program is eating up your resources. Others are not so obvious and you will have to research the Image Name to determine the associated program.

I have found one very common cause for the lockup to be parrallel startups. From WIN-ME on for some reason the old windows faithful hour glass has been asleep at the wheel. you click on an Icon or program tab and wonder if you clicked hard enough or double clicked quickly enough. The hour-glass does not come up so you try again. Now you have started your problem. The first attempt did start the program and so did the second attempt (or with some real impatient people the third and fourth attemts did also) now the poor computer is striking a bottle neck. you have parrallel instances of the same program fighting each other. The battle can become so intense that there is no room for anything else. Often Patience is the best way to deal with the situation. Get up and get a cold beer or a glass of juice. When you come back, you can close the extra instances of the application. Ctrl-Alt-Del will tell you if you are running more than one instance of an application.

If that does not work you will have to go to the Processes tab and attempt to find out (with a help or an Internet search) what to do to end the process which is giving you trouble.

Collapse -
Some things I forgot to mention
by LionsMike / February 15, 2008 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Find the cause

My wife was complaining about that same problem. She turns her computer on once every 8 to 10 days and attempts to go right on line.

When her computer has been turned off and of-line for a week, it knows it. There are about 25 or 30 programs which are all in a panic mode to phone home and see if there are any updates. Many of them will have updates to download and install. I have advised her not to even attempt to go near the computer until at least 20 minutes after she turns it on. That solved her problem. Check your setings. Your computer may be actually running a virus scan or defragging. A two hour wiat will tell you if the problem is simply a configured long start up time.

Oh if that is no where near your situation, you could also be experiencing a very different situation.

These new computers have CPUs which run far hotter than the the old 486 or Pentium 1 processors did. Back then it was believed that most computer problems come from turning on and starting up the computer so it was suggested that you turn it on and leave it on.

Between the heat the static electricity and the fan moving air through the cooling heat sink, dust collects and blocks the air from cooling your CPU. If you run your computer for several hours every day, and you live in what is almost a dust free house, you can expect the most heatsinks to need cleaning after a year to a year and a half. If you have an AMD processor, you might be able to view the CPU core temp right on your monitor. check your documentation

Collapse -
by MRAYVAN / February 15, 2008 11:46 AM PST

Collapse -
Times Change
by LionsMike / February 15, 2008 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: BAD IDEA

That was the thinking years ago. The Win3X and the Win9X operating systems had some stability at start up problems which were resolved by the time Win2000 came out.
At about the same time processors were using more and more power and heat disipation has become a real issue. in 2000 computers had 200 or 250 watt powersupplies. today they have 400 or 500 watt power supplies.

The failures duruing start-up are almost non existant today, while failures due to overheating are becoming more and more common.
If you leave your computer on all the time you should break it down and clean the fins on the CPU heatsink at least once every 6 months. If someone smokes in the house or if you have a wood or coal stove, it might need to be done more often

Collapse -
I would disagree on leaving it on
by angelcaller / February 23, 2008 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: BAD IDEA

Leaving it on I thought makes it think all the time and I shut mine down every night. I leave it on all day if I am going to use it. You can set it to hybernate or stand by but I would reboot at least every couple days to let it do whatever it does. If you are having a problem it probably will not fix itself as you say but I see some great useful info in here for fixing startup bugs, that fixed my slow startup that had a bunch of weird stuff starting up and taking 5 minutes before I could get online.

PS Caps is considered yelling incase no-one has told you before. Have a super great weekend! Happy

Collapse -
My computer has been left on for a month at a time.
by welrdelr / February 15, 2008 1:35 PM PST

It isn't the hardware in this case, it's the software. I have a low level 64bit cpu, single processor running. I've run two virtualization levels on the host with 256M RAM.
Personally, limiting processes and minimalizing the number of programs helps more than you think.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.