Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

CPU Fan will not shut off at shutdown

by Pam Ekstrom / December 1, 2005 3:39 AM PST

Hello,
I have an HP 6540C with an Intel Celeron Processor which is 5-6 years old. The OS is Windows 98. 10GB Hard Drive. Just recently, upon shutdown, the CPU fan will not turn off. The computer used to turn completely off, but now the yellow "stand-by" light remains on and the fan continues to run.
Here are the things that I have tried.
1) I replaced the fan.
2) I replaced the CMOS battery
3) I was going to add an additional Hard Drive, but upon opening the case, I noticed that the grinding noise was not coming from the hard drive but from the fan.
4) I have gone into the BIOS menu and reset everything to default.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any other reasons the fan will not turn off??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Fan will not shut off at shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Fan will not shut off at shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See this troubleshooter
by Blue_Zee / December 1, 2005 6:19 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / December 1, 2005 9:08 PM PST

1. Please read, "Why bother fixing this problem?"

2. Shutdown failure may seem like a purely cosmetic problem, so you might be wondering why you should take the time to fix it. The reason is that snags in the shutdown process can have serious ramifications for a system. Because the cache may not have finished dumping its contents to disk, turning off the machine prematurely can lead to data corruption. Improper shutdowns can also cause your hard disk to slowly fill up since Windows may not get the chance to remove temporary files. Shutdown problems can be caused by many factors which may included damaged exit sound files; incorrectly configured, damaged, or incompatible hardware; conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device drivers.

3. Programs in the StartUp folder:

a. Sometimes a corrupt program in the StartUp folder can prevent a computer from shutting down properly as well as subsequent loading/use of an errant program/application that did not terminate properly. To find out if it applies for start-up, create a new folder and move the contents of the StartUp folder there. Next, restart your computer and then try to shut it down. If the computer shuts down successfully, you can assume there is a problem with one of the programs being loaded initially from this folder. To pinpoint the troublemaker, move a file back into the original StartUp folder, then one at a time afterwards, restarting the computer after each move and then a shut down. If the shutdown process fails you'll know the file last moved was the cause.

Note: To resolve this situation, you can permanently remove the program from the StartUp folder. In this case, a program should be reinstalled since it may have corrupted files. If none of the programs in the StartUp folder are causing your system to hang during shutdown, you'll have to look elsewhere for the source. Let's take a look at some other possibilities. However, do consider placing a check mark in the box labeled, "Disable fast shutdown" (General tab, Advanced button). In addition, users of Windows 98 Second Edition should download and install the Shutdown Supplement and follow all troubleshooting tips explained in, [Q238096].

Caveat/Warning: I may be a stickler when it concerns computer situations but I have experienced a restart problem at the MS-DOS prompt using the key combination Ctrl+Alt+Del if the checkmark has been removed (option Enabled) for "Disable fast shutdown". When enabled by the absence of the checkmark, the Windows registry consists of the following single address and the first string entry following, which is changed to a zero with the additional key and value reflected when disabled by adding a checkmark:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown

? FastReboot "1"
(enabled)

? FastReboot "0"
original_FastReboot "1"
(disabled)

b. Windows 98 users may use the System Configuration Utility tool to disable programs but you may find the above easier and quicker. However, review the entire reference first. Supplemental reading:

? "Computer Stops Responding When You Try to Shut It Down (Q196008)."

? "How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems (Q202633)."

3. To configure Windows not to use the Plug and Play BIOS to determine if the problem is caused by such devices:

a. Restart your computer. Press and hold the CTRL key until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu.

b. Choose Command Prompt Only and type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing Enter after each line:

cd \windows\system
Rename Bios.vxd Bios.vxd.old

c. Restart your computer and attempt to shut down Windows to see if the anomaly disappears. If it did, there is possible P&P enumeration problems of some sort.

d. After the "test" is completed, you should rename the Bios.vxd.old by removing the .OLD.

4. When a Win98 computer is started, the Startup menu may appear and display the following error message which can occur if Windows was unable to delete the Wnbootng.sts file in the Windows folder the last time the computer booted. This file is automatically deleted after a successfully start and is not normally resident. If this file was not deleted after a particular start, subsequent starts will cause the same anomaly until this file is removed manually, [Q143283]:

Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt. Choose Safe mode, to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.