Computer Help

General discussion

CPU Fan Failure

by The ancient one / October 16, 2010 11:56 PM PDT

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the Dell Forum
I have a brand new Dell Studio XPS 7100, Windows 7 Home Premium (x64), 2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 4096 megabytes Usable Installed Memory, Board is a Dell OFF3FN A00 with bus clock of 200 megahertz.
On October 6 on start up the following message came up on the black screen: ?CPU fan failure ? Strike the F1 Key to Continue ? F2 to run the Set up Utility.? I immediately shut the computer off and contacted Dell via online chat on another computer. The technician had me remove the side of the tower and push the fan cables to be sure that they were tight. Then I put the side back on and rebooted the computer and there was no message about a fan failure. The technician?s response was: ?It seems the issue is intermittent but not to worry. Could be a minor glitch in the cable connection.?
On October 15 same black screen with same message. I clicked on the F1 key and after the computer booted up, I shut the computer down and rebooted with no problem.
On October 16 same black screen only this time I took the side panel off the tower to see if the CPU fan was working. All fans appeared to be working as they are supposed to. Then I clicked the F1 key and the computer booted up and periodically I would check to seen of the CPU fan was going and it always was.
Today, October 17 same message on start up.

Suggestions as to what I should do about this problem.
Also on another computer which has an Intel board and CPU, I have software called Intel Active Monitor which among other things gives me the temperature and fan speed. Is there similar software for AMD?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Fan Failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Fan Failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My suggestion:
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 17, 2010 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU Fan Failure

contact Dell again and let them send a tech. This is not normal, and they should repair it under warranty.

Kees

Collapse -
I would agree
by Jimmy Greystone / October 17, 2010 3:54 AM PDT

I would agree, but if you want, you can check to see if there's a BIOS update for your system. It might just be that the BIOS has a bug when it comes to detecting the fan RPM.

If there's no update, then call Dell and have them figure out a means of replacing that fan for you. Just because it's spinning doesn't mean it's spinning fast enough. So unless your eyesight is good enough to be able to tell the difference between say 1500rpm and 2000rpm, it's safer to get the thing replaced.

Collapse -
Re: I would agree
by The ancient one / October 17, 2010 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I would agree

When I contacted Dell's online Chat support today the first thing that they had me do before I accidently disconnected myself form the internet was to go to a link that would let me download a BIOS update. I was on a different computer at the time. Anyway I did get it downloaded and "flashed???" with a newer version (A02 to A04). We will see if that solves the problem. I didn't mention in my original post that this message occurs only when I first turn on the computer in the morning. It has not occurred when restarting or when starting the computer if it has been turned off during the day. I agree that I could not tell if the fan speed was up to par that was why I asked about software such as Intel's Active Monitor which does give fan speed and temperature

Collapse -
Interesting...I thought of the BIOS but figured Dell Tech
by VAPCMD / October 17, 2010 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I would agree

would have addressed that on the first conatct. Let us know how it turns out. Did they mentioned if the problem you were experiencing was one the BIOS update was supposed to fix ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Re:Interesting
by The ancient one / October 18, 2010 2:17 AM PDT

"Did they mentioned if the problem you were experiencing was one the BIOS update was supposed to fix ?" Not directly but here is the log of chat before I accidently disconnected myself from the internet
10/17/2010 03:58:11PM Agent (Satya_217937): "I have few troubleshooting steps which can help us."
10/17/2010 03:58:26PM The Ancient One: "Ok"
10/17/2010 03:58:41PM Agent (Satya_217937): "If not I will go ahead and replace the parts."
10/17/2010 03:59:08PM Agent (Satya_217937): "Are you chatting from the same system which has the issue?"
10/17/2010 03:59:18PM The Ancient One: "No"
10/17/2010 04:00:04PM Agent (Satya_217937): "Okay. I will give the steps you can perform them on the system."
10/17/2010 04:00:20PM Agent (Satya_217937): "Firstly we need to update the BIOS."
10/17/2010 04:00:38PM The Ancient One: "How is that done"
10/17/2010 04:01:09PM Agent (Satya_217937): "I will give you a link."
10/17/2010 04:01:36PM Agent (Satya_217937): "Please give me a minute while i get the link."
10/17/2010 04:04:12PM Agent (Satya_217937): "This is the link. Please restart the system go online and in the address bar put the link to start the BIOS flash."
10/17/2010 04:04:17PM Agent (Satya_217937): "http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&releaseid=R276084&SystemID=StudioXPS7100&servicetag=SKZ8NM1&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=24030&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&f" ormatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=407308

I am waiting to see if this takes care of the problem which could take many days. There were 9 days between the 1st and 2nd occurrance. It is comforting to know that if the troubleshooting steps that are taken do not fix the problem, the parts will be replaced.

The Ancient One

Collapse -
Ok...we'll look foward to hearing the outcome.
by VAPCMD / October 18, 2010 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Interesting

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Re:My Suggestion
by The ancient one / October 17, 2010 8:35 AM PDT

If this is not something that I can get corrected soon via Dell online support, I will take your advice and see if I can get a technician out to look at the problem.

Collapse -
Kees_B. Jimmy Greystone, VAPCMD
by The ancient one / October 25, 2010 9:55 AM PDT

Kees, your advice was right on. Had a Dell technician look at the computer and he replaced the fan since he said the message was "fan failure". Have had no problem for the past 5 days.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear and Thanks for the feedback.!
by VAPCMD / October 25, 2010 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
CPU fan failure resolved?
by striker6667 / December 30, 2010 1:36 AM PST

Just checking to see if the replacement fan resolved the CPU fan failure issue. I purchased an XPS 7100 with virtually the same configuration as you and it has had the same problem that you described a couple of times since then, although the computer runs fine otherwise. I plan to contact Dell, but, before I do, wanted to confirm that the new fan did the trick.

Collapse -
CPU fan failure resolved
by The ancient one / January 1, 2011 7:39 AM PST

There have been no problems with the computer since the Dell technician put in a new CPU fan.

Collapse -
This is a Major Dell Failure
by jcmcgowan / June 16, 2011 12:30 AM PDT

Sadly this is most likely NOT a critical error at all but simply a failure of Dell's rotten CPU heat sink electronics. Dell adds a custom temp monitor to their CPU fan electronics and it often fails, giving a false warning. Google "Dell CPU Fan Failure" and you'll see thousands of results. Worse yet is the fact that you cannot resolve the error without replacing the entire fan assembly - even though the fan is running just fine. Easy enough to check, either physically or by using a utility like SpeedFan.

There is a setting in SOME BIOS settings screens that allows you to suppress the warning alert but some - like the Inspiron 530 - don't have a way to turn the warning off. So if you are getting this again, check to see if the fan is indeed running. (Fan location is shown in the manual). If it is running you can safely ignore the warning and press F1; windows will start with no problems. Otherwise you may find yourself replacing the CPU fan two or three (or more!) times a year.

BTW the problem has been around at least since 2005 and Dell has never offered a solution, other than replacing the (perfectly good, otherwise) fans. Why would they?

Jim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.