Computer Help

Question

CPU Fan doesn't run. :(

by SoulMotor / January 2, 2013 9:29 PM PST

I changed the CPU fan on my computer as I could hear the bearing going on the original one. I replaced it but now it spins when I power it up and then is stops forcing the computer to shut down.

The processor is an AMD 2+ if that helps.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Fan doesn't run. :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Fan doesn't run. :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Fan
by pgc3 / January 2, 2013 11:41 PM PST

And if it is a fan compatible with the CPU and is plugged in properly I would wonder about the PSU having issues or perhaps the CPU itself being the culprit.

Collapse -
Answer
Could be many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 12:30 AM PST

I've run into motherboards that can't power up the fan and we have to tap other power connections to make the fan go. Some of your newer techs don't think of this.
Bob

Collapse -
Tap off alternate
by pgc3 / January 3, 2013 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Could be many things.

Ah yes you may well be correct, that would likely be the first thing to try....

Collapse -
Answer
Is FAN activation/operation set in BIOS based on CPU temp ?
by VAPCMD / January 3, 2013 2:15 AM PST

If yes, check the option and just let it run at all times.

What MB is in the system ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Motherboard
by SoulMotor / January 3, 2013 3:47 AM PST

The motherboard is a MCP61PM-HM (Nettle3), I can't get into BIOS to check any options as it shuts down nearly immediately, though the fan is running. The new fan has four wires where the old one had three. The replacement fan is a Xigmatek Loki.

Collapse -
The immediate shutdown is a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboard

It sounds as if the heatsink didn't make contact with the CPU or the installer forget to use heatsink compound.

All the PC's I've made run for more than a few minutes with just a heat sink but your story tells me the heatsink has issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Agree with Bob. Did you remove the whole heatsink with
by VAPCMD / January 3, 2013 5:26 AM PST

FAN or just the fan itself ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Friend....got to give us the detail.
by VAPCMD / January 3, 2013 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboard

You said the fan isn't working but didn't even mention you replaced the entire HS Fan.

Did you apply/use thermal grease/paste ???

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yes I did
by SoulMotor / January 3, 2013 6:44 PM PST

If anything I may have used more paste than necessary.

Collapse -
There's a couple of things that could make this happen
by VAPCMD / January 4, 2013 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Yes I did

as described.

Improper mounting/installation of the CPU HS Fan where the heatsink does not make full contact with the CPU heat spreader is one.

CPU HS Fan not working at startup causing system to turn off immediately is another. Any 92MM 12V fan such as the one below (3 speed) should work. If you have a spare 92MM case fan you could try it temporarily. If you could get into the BIOS...you might find there's a BIOS option affecting this...might check the MB manual for the BIOS info.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209003

Improper application of thermal paste ...having none or too much is another but shouldn't cause "instant off" if everything else is as it should be.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Did you get it figured out ?
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2013 9:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes I did, thanks.
by SoulMotor / January 7, 2013 6:01 PM PST

I got the fan to run by buying one with a three pin connector. Unfortunately I cannot upgrade the heatsink on this one, but a direct replacement works fine. I would've updated sooner, but the OS is giving me hell all of a sudden and I haven't been to a computer that works until now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.