Internet Services Providers

General discussion

COX Slow upload speeds

by darkzenlord / January 27, 2009 4:56 AM PST

Through several different bandwitdh testing sites, I am able to determine that my Download rate is at or about 15kbps. This is correct as my service states 10mbs DL and 2.5mbs UP. Thing is my Upload tests are at a mere 400kbps. I know upload is generally slower than downlink. But to get 70% less upload speed than what Cox states (what I pay for) really concerns me. I understand that usage on any particular block may cause a decline in performance. But I test on a regular basis and at all times of day. (off-peak and peak). I have contacted Cox several times, finally got to tier 2 and they still do not have an answer.

Wondering if anyone was able to get a partial refund or knows of why this could be?

Note:3 different computers were used (on the same line)and the same results were furnished. It is assumed then that it is not the computer but the actual line. All tests were performed via "browser" bandwitdh tests (like cnet's)and no program was downloaded or installed to analyze the connection.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: COX Slow upload speeds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: COX Slow upload speeds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You do know the difference . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 27, 2009 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: COX Slow upload speeds

between a large B and a small b?

B = Bytes which is 8 bits plus a start and a stop bit for a total of 10 bits.

b = one bit.

Does this change your figures?

Collapse -
What else you need to know is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 10:14 PM PST

That speed is from your PC to the first router and not beyond that since that's the Internet and not controlled by Cox (yet?)

You can imagine that many will do speed tests and not understand what they are testing.
Bob

Collapse -
I do know
by darkzenlord / January 28, 2009 12:10 AM PST

I do know the my b's. I understand your point Bob, but. That is what I want to know. The bandwitdh of the connection between my computer and another (server). I use http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ among many others, to determine my bandwitdh and transfer rates (between servers).

Cnet for example, I do not get anywhere near 10Mb/s download I never have. Not even 2Mb/s. I get 300KB/s download on a normal day. However I have downloaded content from other sites and servers much faster or slower. So I understand the transfer rates between hosts and clients varies.

I will attempt to give both and specify which ones I am talk about.
Upload is about 600-700kbps or 63KB/s (Transfer rate)

If cox specifies 2.5Mb/s Transfer rate. That should be 2000kpbs or 250KB/s correct?

Collapse -
That test is not at the other end of the Cox pipe
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: I do know

Let's find a server that Cox let's you test to. You'll need something that you can traceroute to and not have more than 3 or 4 hops and stay inside Cox land.

Collapse -
Your right
by darkzenlord / January 28, 2009 9:43 AM PST

I never thought about that side of it. I will have to find an available IP. Thing is, realistically I won't be connecting to a local server whilst crusing the inernets. So in actuality, I am more likely to get results such as Speakeasy states, with NY being closest. Wouldn't you agree?

Latest results
8018kbps Down
430kbps up
Download Speed: 8018 kbps (1002.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 430 kbps (53.8 KB/sec transfer rate)<--u kidding cox?

Also, I heard that Cox will pro rate your bill if you achieve less then 70% of the stated speeds. Is that true?

-Dark

Collapse -
I don't work for them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Your right

Sorry, I don't send the bill but will refund your virtual beer bill and tab on demand!

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Your right

With all the people that run Torrent software your upload speed can be limited by someone on your street doing that. While they have great download bandwidth the upload speed is limited and you share that speed with your neighbors.
Bob

Collapse -
Also
by darkzenlord / January 29, 2009 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

The upload speeds can be affected by hidden malware. Thats more of a common symptom when a user who used to get great speeds now gets very slow speeds. Looks like I will have to battle it out with Cox again. Cox support is a complex beast and the tier 1 people are just average phoners with no tech background. This ought to be fun!

Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -
Without regard to broken toes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Also

Tier 1 are cannon fodder, 'phone boy' and such. You have to get past those fast.

Collapse -
WRONG...
by snow60bunny / June 17, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

Cox wants people who use their service to use their programs because their programs tell you what THEY want you to see. I do not agree with that. I believe one should be allowed to use which ever test they want. THEY ARE NOT AS GOOD AS THEY CLAIM.

Collapse -
That speed is from your PC to the first router and not
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: WRONG...

"That speed is from your PC to the first router and not beyond that since that's the Internet and not controlled by Cox (yet?)"

We can test the link at the home and to the ISP's servers to see if they have that up to speed. But past that is not under their control.

Are you saying they do have such control?
Bob

Collapse -
To answer your question
by armymil2003 / March 2, 2009 12:07 AM PST

The math is all incorrect. I wish I would have seen this sooner.

There are 8 bits to every byte.

1 Byte = 8 Bits

Speeds are determined in Bytes. (B)

Cox internet is 10 Megabytes down and 2.5 Megabytes up. So in order to get the bits, which is shown on your download and upload rates, you need to divide by 8 to get your answer.

So if you are getting 400kbps, you are getting the speed and more because of "Powerboost." Pull out you handy calculator and do 2.5 (the upload speed) divided by 8 (which is the number of bits per byte). You will get 0.3125, meaning you will get about 312kbps on your download.

The download should be about 1.25 via the calculator so it should be about 1.25 megs. This is also depending on the servers and/or various other things that could slow down a connection.

The problem with using a speed test website is people believe it is the word of God when the results are posted. There is also factors that can affect the way the results are posted including a router in the equation.

Cheers!

Collapse -
Other way around
by darkzenlord / March 5, 2009 3:42 AM PST

I am getting 400kbps download speed the actual transfer rate is the opposite of your equation, so 50KB/sec transfer rate. The 400 number was the speed.

In either case I found the modem (a motorola) was dropping packets this weekend and I was losing up to 50%. I exchanged it and now COX is using scientific Atlanta modems. Any word on those?

I use many bandwidth testing sites to simulate transfer rates over the internet as a whole. The servers I test are no different from any other webservers on the net. I think they are a very good tool and I use them for information purposes only. I do not think they are the word on anything. However similar results from many sites and even my own tests on my ISP DNS servers tell me I am getting 70% less speed then stated. Talking with the Tier 1 tech support got me nowhere and I am waiting for Fios to make it's way here.

Collapse -
Hmmm
by armymil2003 / March 5, 2009 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Other way around

There is not much difference from modem to modem. They are really made the same and dont offer much performance difference to the next one in that generation. I have always been use to my Surf Board Moto. If I had to switch, I wouldnt mind.

When you say dropping packets, how was the test determined? What active ping was you doing? What site/IP address was you doing this to? I know you have talked to people but can you organize all the thought in one post and I will help you as much as I can. I have this thread monitored so when you post, I can read it.

Collapse -
MTU problem?
by berrypoint / August 23, 2009 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm

Yes, I also found that altering the MTU was the only thing that finally gave me reliable upload capability and well beyond. What a relief. This after many months of tweaking and scanning this and that, connecting directly to PC instead of modem etc. to no avail. Would like to briefly share my path to success in case it can help someone else struggling with this.
Not a very fluent computer person I finally stumbled upon instructions of how to determine the optimal MTU settings at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793
I did it manually via DOS command as it outlines further down page because for some reason the automatic DrTCP program did not work in arriving at the optimal MTU settings for me at all.

Anyone having this problem just be sure to also change the MTU setting on your modem to match the new MTU setting on your PC. I found that leaving the modem set on "Auto" for MTU did not work.
This has made uploading batches of pictures to Flickr etc. a breeze. Happy days.

Collapse -
8 bits per byte plus start and stop bits
by barzak / April 21, 2011 12:46 AM PDT

True there are 8 bits per byte for standard ASCI encoded character set.

But, when transmitted over any electronic communications, start and stop bits are added.

A start bit is added to precede each byte transmitted, and a second stop bit is added at the end of each byte transmitted.

This makes 10 bits the total for communications of ASCI encoded chars.

That is easier on the arithmetic - now can just divide and multiple by ten.

I do have one uncertainty though - If I remember correctly, sometimes there may be more than one stop bit. However, ten should be a much closer approximation than eight for the calculation.

Collapse -
got few COX reviews
by savanajhones / May 22, 2011 10:51 PM PDT

hey...I also got some reviews over COX they also said that it is getting too slow day by day. Can i get more reviews from here ???I like to know more about it.

Collapse -
Slow Upload speed
by techforums123 / May 23, 2011 6:45 PM PDT

For the same , change the settings in configuartion , in the Internet Explorer about:config

the packets size increased in the range from 10 to 120

etc ...

Collapse -
Cox is very slow....
by snow60bunny / June 17, 2011 6:07 AM PDT

I am writing in response to this message. I have been with cox since Feb of this year and I too have been having problems with the speed. They tell me that I have the next to the fastest speed they offer. I have told them on several occasions that the speed I have is equal to what one gets when they have dial up They swear to me that my speed is better. I am tired of arguing with them so as soon as I can I am going back to ATT dsl. I know they are far better and cox just wants to keep customers. A company cannot keep customers by telling them they don't know what they are talking about. I know about speeds with different internet providers and the cox internet is NOT fast. If you want my advice, switch to a better provider. I also had problems with getting a rebate for taking cox for home phone and internet. It was supposed to arrive within 45-60 days and it took more than 3 months. They said they were going to give me a free month of internet and phone and I have not yet seen it nor do I believe I ever will. I only switched to cox to begin with because ATT and I had an unsolved issue. Now I wish I would never have switched. I will not make that mistake again.

Collapse -
Huh?
by WaCableTech / June 20, 2011 11:53 AM PDT

Something is not right, Cox sells 10 Mbps and your getting 15 Kbps, KILO as in 1000 versus MEGA as in 1 million?
hopefully that's a type.

Go to speedtest.net and use the default test, see what your speeds are there. they shoudl host a local server to you that should accurately reflect your speeds. Now, keepign in ming this is straight out of the modem and several things after that can slow things down, routers, firewalls, poorly set up computers, crapware, leaving your P2P software on etc...
After testing there, pick a different server, the next closest one. This is to ensure that particular server is not just overloaded on tests, or is having its own issues, which can and does happen.

Also please post your signal levels and error logs [delete the mac address out of the messages though] which you can retrieve by typing 192.168.100.1 in your browser URL line and pressing enter.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.