Download.com Site Feedback

General discussion

Coupon Companion Adware

by Wanamingo / July 19, 2012 4:41 AM PDT

Im very turned off by the new download manager from CNET.

I downloaded a copy of CCleaner today and ran into this new DL manager..... It offered me a copy of Coupon Companion, I declined, made sure I didnt have any check boxes filled out that would install the bloatware and continued my download just fine. CCleaner installed great (After a few more unnecessary clicks...).

Several minutes later my Symantec AV flagged Coupon Companion IN MY PROGRAM FILES!!!! I have no problem with you guys selling advertisement space, hell I dont even have a problem with you guys offering us junkware with our downloads, because your service is great. Ive always trusted your downloads and find it as a way of knowing that what I want to download is what i am actually downloading.

I cant believe that you would install software behind my back and make changes to my system without permission.

Here is what Symantec says about the risk. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2012-060803-0143-99&vid=4294907661

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coupon Companion Adware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coupon Companion Adware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem here
by chrs9 / July 20, 2012 12:40 AM PDT

This is getting annoying with CNET. Had a similar problem with another download. Not going to use anymore even though I have been loyal for 10years. This is judt bad business.

Collapse -
I agree! Nomore downloads from cnet!
by JtJt12944 / November 25, 2012 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem here

I downloaded an email app to remove spam, only to be spammed by more junk EVEN THOUGH I DESELECTED ALL CHECK BOXES. Absolute crap! No more downloads from this site!!

Collapse -
If you declined the offer it shouldn't have installed it.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 25, 2012 6:46 AM PDT

I'll bring this to the attention of the Download.com team.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
I was working on a friends computer yesterday
by itsdigger / July 25, 2012 6:53 AM PDT

and downloaded Ccleaner, Super Anti Spyware, Malwarebytes and Auslogics Disc Defragmenter and made sure everything was unchecked that I didn't installed and nothing but these 4 programs installed, no extra bloatware. Digger

Collapse -
6 months later and not fixed
by Scorpio0966 / November 30, 2012 11:52 PM PST

It has been six months since you were to bring this to the attention of someone who could fix the problem but yesterday I downloaded a system utility and declined all offers and guess what? Coupon companion was installed without my knowledge. The funny thing is, I never even installed the utility. Just for downloading the program your coupon companion installed on my computer. So it is definitely CNET that is installing malware on my computer. I will never trust CNET again. I suggest nobody else either.

Collapse -
Same problem
by Muffinut / December 1, 2012 7:30 PM PST

Just got this today. Deleted all the registry keys in order to get this off my machine.

Why would they let this happen?

Collapse -
Coupon Companion
by Mysanthropyc / January 28, 2013 5:16 AM PST

Same thing here. I downloaded a program, made sure to decline ALL offers, and Coupon Companion is linking all kinds of things in Wikipedia, forums, just about everywhere.

C'mon, CNET. You guys are nerd heroes!

Collapse -
Before I reported this to the Download.com team...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 25, 2012 7:10 AM PDT

I went ahead and download it for myself to see if Coupon Companion was part of the download package and I didn't find anything and there was no opt in or opt out of getting a Coupon Companion. As a matter of fact, this didn't even come wrapped in the Download.com installer. The software file was from Piriform labeled as ccsetup320.exe.

I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page about the title you and I downloaded, can you confirm it's this product here?
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html

Let me know.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
CouponCompanion.exe comes in the CNet Installer
by muspench / December 31, 2012 12:11 AM PST

Hello, Lee! It's the installer rather than any of the downloaded programs. Here's what you did differently: "I didn't find anything and there was no opt in or opt out of getting a Coupon Companion. As a matter of fact, this didn't even come wrapped in the Download.com installer."

We used the installer, and that is what brought in the unwanted file.

I had the same experience on 12/05/2012. I downloaded Ico Converter, deselected the checkbox, and immediately saw CouponCompanion.exe, which AVG flagged as a PUP (potentially unwanted program) later in the day. I was upset, I contacted support, and received this reply:

"The CNET Download.com Installer is an ad-supported stub installer or "download manager" used for many software titles on our site, and does offer additional, optional third party applications, like Coupon Companion, during the installation process. All offers included in the Installer are tested to make sure that they conform with our security policies prohibiting malware and spyware, and all may be declined or opted-out of without affecting the initial download.

In future, if you do not wish to use the CNET Download.com Installer, you always have the option of using the "Direct Download Link" instead. All products on CNET Download.com have a direct download link, but only "CNET Installer Enabled" products call it out separately.

Depending on your browser and the specific product you are looking at, you can find the "Direct Download Link" in one of three places on the page for CNET Installer Enabled items:

- Right underneath the green "Download Now" button

- By mousing over the green "Download Now" button in order to see and click the "Direct Download Link" in a pop-up bubble

- By mousing over the blue "CNET Installer Enabled" text in the "Quick Specifications" column to the right side of the product page to see and click the "Direct Download Link" in a pop-up bubble

You also have the option to turn off the Installer for the whole site, though you do currently need to have a CNET account and be logged in to take advantage of that feature. To do so, login to the site, click the "My profile" link and then the "Update my Download.com Preferences" link, select the "Off" option and click the "Save Changes" button.

You can read more about the Installer here:

http://t.cnet.com/SB3tiC"

So that's the problem-- the installer is deceptive, ignoring the opt-out, and people are screaming because they end up with unwanted software. That helps neither CNet nor the software manufacturer, and it really annoys us. Thanks.

Collapse -
Thanks for the crapware
by selkie305 / August 8, 2012 6:14 AM PDT

I have used Cnet before and never had a problem, but having nothing but trouble now. Twice I found this "Coupon Companion" installed itself in my computer, and now I found out it probably came from you. Are you also responsible for "Yontoo" installing itself along with Revo Uninstaller? It's a good thing I have Revo to uninstall the garbage you gave me behind my back! I'm used to having to comb the fine print in order not to get various toolbars and search engines installed along with software I do want. But to install stuff without even asking? I thought Cnet was a good, reliable source for downloads, and regrettably, I have told my friends that in the past. I will not be using Cnet anymore and I will be telling others not to also.

Collapse -
CouponCompanion ads have invaded my Twitter, Facebook, etc!
by tiggerwiggins / August 25, 2012 1:42 PM PDT

I can't believe that cnet.com, a website I've trusted for over five years, would do something like this. I cannot get the semi-smutty ads off my computer screen. Has anyone an idea of what to do?

Thank you!

Gina

Collapse -
:/
by SwordsMiner / September 8, 2012 1:16 PM PDT

I know. my dad just downloaded somthing onto my computer off of this site. man i thought this site was nice, and cnet decided to download a program onto my computer that just put MORE adware. overall cnet put 37 adware on my computer, thats what norton says.

Norton's default behavior is to make a system restore atleast every 2 days. Restore your system and it deletes every trace of it

Collapse -
System restore
by SwordsMiner / September 8, 2012 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: :/

Also, forgot to mention, System restores doesnt effect video games, documents, norton, ect. It only effects the DOWNLOADED programs and the main system changes between the time you roll it back and the time you are rolling it back too

Collapse -
appalled....
by I-am-not-laughing / September 12, 2012 11:43 AM PDT

The same thing happened to me and I am appalled at CNETs behavior, intentionally installing malicious software on my computer.
CNET if you are reading this, I expect you to contact me and offer me a way to remove the malicious software right away, if not I will contact my attorney and the NJ Attorney General's office in NJ to find out if you have committed a compensable tort or if you have just out right broken the law.
You guys are despicable.

Collapse -
you might want to post full details of the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: appalled....

download that you think this came in.

I'm sure CNET does not intentionally include "malicious software" in the downloads that it offers and, given the exact file name of the download, and possibly the link to it, the Download Staff will be able to check your assertion.
Remember that a lot of downloads are coming from third party sites, CNET has nothing to do with those other than to supply a link to the download site.

It would also help if you were to name the Malicious Software too.

I have alerted your post to those that can take the necessary action

P

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to fix typo on 09/17/2012 at 9:03 AM PT

Collapse -
Same problem
by jfaulkenberry / September 25, 2012 12:30 AM PDT

I found this thread trying to find out why I have Coupon Companion installed and where it came from. I use CNET frequently and recently installed CCleaner, so I'm pretty sure that's where it came from. I had a similar, but worse experience a couple of months back when I downloaded another popular cleaning tool from CNET. I forget the tool and the malware, but that one was much more aggressive. The reason I come to CNET is to avoid these problems. I now have very little confidence in the site, which is truly unfortunate.

Collapse -
There are registry cleaners that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

Registry cleaners can indeed cause more trouble that they are worth and folk today may find installing such may offer up some plug in or cause some formerly dormant app to show up.

If you can share which download it was, then we can alert it and have those that can change this look at it.

If you can't tell which it was, that's OK.
Bob

Collapse -
Update re: last post
by jfaulkenberry / September 25, 2012 4:49 AM PDT

The malware that was downloaded was titled AVG Security or Antivirus. I know there are valid AVG Security products, so I believe it was probably just using the name as a guise. I did not intentionally download it in any case. As I recall, it was popping up on searches and creating other problems. This was back in July, so I don't remember all of the issues, but it was an obvious problem immediately. I was able to get rid of it with Malwarebytes.
I also believe it was attached to one of the 2 downloads listed below on 7/20/2012. I believe these are PDF scanners, not cleaners as I thought earlier.
cnet2_spdf_exe.exe
cnet2_FastScanSetup_exe.exe

Collapse -
I see a DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK for the first one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Update re: last post
Collapse -
IF the second is..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Update re: last post
Collapse -
Thanks all...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 26, 2012 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: IF the second is..

I have reported this to the Download.com team to look into.

Thanks for reporting it and providing the links.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Update re: downloads
by jfaulkenberry / September 30, 2012 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks all...

I am pretty sure it was not SoftiScan, so I think it was probably the fastScan to PDF download. I still have the executables, if that would help anyone.

I still have AVG Secure Search on my PC. It is not listed in Programs, however. I will try another full scan with Malwarebytes, unless someone has a better recommendation to remove it.

Collapse -
Removed AVG Secure Search
by jfaulkenberry / October 1, 2012 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Update re: downloads

I was finally able to remove AVG Secure Search via Tools / Internet Options / search defaults.

Collapse -
Great! Thanks for letting us know..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 1, 2012 9:07 AM PDT

jfaulkenberry..

As far as AVG Secure Search is concerned....

Not too long ago, a member posted with a question regarding AVG Secure Search. I came upon this article, which included this screenshot. She was confused as to which type of installation to select, in addition to which option to choose. I can understand why.

Is it possible you experienced a similar situation, during the installation process? It doesn't really matter at this point, since you successfully removed it. I'm only pointing it out, in case it might have also applied to you.

Carol

Collapse -
AVG Secure Search
by jfaulkenberry / October 1, 2012 12:56 PM PDT

I did not download any AVG software intentionally. It is possible that I missed a checkbox that was alraedy checked somewhere, but if so, it was not very obvious. I also had a lot of difficulty removing the AVG software which seemed to pop up by iteself...without requiring a separate install. It acted like malware that was downloaded via a trojan or something similar, but I can't be sure.

Collapse -
@ jfaulkenberry
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 2, 2012 2:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Still happening
by victork1 / January 30, 2013 1:30 PM PST

Lee- I don't know if you didn't have the time to bring this up to the download team or if they couldn't care less, but this is still happening. Just like another user described, I used the damned cnet download manager to download the application, but I ended up not installing it, so the only thing that I've installed is that cnet download manager. Just like many users, I made sure to uncheck all the add-on boxes (which mere presence is unworthy of cnet, by the way) and still I got this junkware.

Seriously?? Cnet of all sites is secretly pushing crapware? It's a bad joke.

I'm doing a system restore now, I will never use this shameful site again. I just honestly don't know where to turn to now because I've downloaded exclusively from cnet for too many years, but you guys just wiped your butts with our trust in your site.

Collapse -
Coupon companion
by whobiggs / February 8, 2013 3:40 AM PST

After all these complaints you still haven't sorted out the issue? How do we get rid of it? I, like many others here, have always trusted CNET but not any more.

Collapse -
Yeah!! You tell 'em!!!!
by Supercar55 / November 27, 2013 1:08 AM PST

I've had the same problem too. I've had programs like TornTV and WebCake install themselves WITHOUT MY BLOODY PERMISSION!!!!!! My Norton 360 even classes entire programs, like Yontoo and WebCake, as security threats, and it's hardly surprising since they install without my permission from downloads from CNet!!!!

Collapse -
Glad someone else noticed.
by brendanryan00 / November 1, 2012 2:25 PM PDT

This is extremely annoying to me. I'm a web developer and I downloaded a file manager from CNET while working. Then I noticed that the site I was working on had ads all over, I thought my client had been hacked (which would've been my fault).

I spent at least 30 VERY panic-filled minutes trying to locate the issue on the server. Turns out, the issue was on my PC, because the CNET downloaded forced the install of software I didn't ask for.

This is the LAST time I EVER use CNET for downloads. I COULD NOT be more angry right now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.