Phones

Question

Could this be a work around to Data Plans??

by bjones199 / December 3, 2012 10:09 AM PST

Just wondering if anyone had heard of this or knew if it might work.

I, like most people, would like a smart phone and do not want to pay for a data plan. I attend a university and am surrounded by wifi 24/7 so I wouldn't be using the data anyhow. I'm up for a new phone with Verizon and was wondering if it would be possible to get a new smart phone, get the minimum data plan, and then in a month cancel the data plan? The phone would already be activated and I'm not sure they could just deactivate my phone without my consent?

I have heard of people getting the data fee waved by threatening to cancel their service with Verizon. I figured this may be a work around to a long term data plan without having to get angry with a Verizon rep. Ideas? Has anyone heard of someone doing this before?

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Could this be a work around to Data Plans??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Could this be a work around to Data Plans??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not a chance......
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 11:25 AM PST

Won't work anyhow or anywhere. Even if some threatens to cancel, data plans are still required on all smartphones under all circumstances. There is no negotiation that will change that.

Collapse -
@birdmantd
by bjones199 / December 3, 2012 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: Not a chance......

I know that it is possible to get a smart phone activated without a data plan because my housemate worked for Verizon this summer in Texas. He informed me you do no actually need a data plan, it is just verizon's normal policy... much like Time Warner says the lowest rate they can offer is 100 until you cancel the service and they call you back later offering 69.99 for 12 months. He was unsure if canceling the data plan however would work because he had never had it happen to him.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had heard of any one doing this, not looking for misinformation. Thank you tho

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:12 PM PST
In reply to: @birdmantd

But why are you asking if your friend can do it? That is, go ahead and try it. Sounds expensive to learn this way. Early Termination Fees and all.

Check out my reply.
Bob

Collapse -
You asked a question.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: @birdmantd

....and I gave my opinion. You can take it for what it is worth and I really don't care. My opinion is based on my prior experience as a CS rep for another carrier. You asked for opinions/feedback. If you knew differently, why post a question in the first place?

Have a good day.

Collapse -
Answer
Do you use much voice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 11:37 AM PST

My kid had the early Virgin Mobile plan at a cheap rate. Mine is 30 a month with some number of voice minutes but unlimited text and data (read fine print about that.)

Why verizon? And how much is that dog in the window?
Bob

Collapse -
@R. Proffitt
by bjones199 / December 3, 2012 2:12 PM PST
In reply to: Do you use much voice?

Just because I am already on Verizon's plan. We have a family plan, and yes I know switching to a pre pay would be better for some people... but right now I get 700 min (I only use about 40 a month), and unlimited txt/picture messaging for $10 bucks a month.

Collapse -
Doesn't seem much of a bargain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: @R. Proffitt

You didn't reveal the total cost. Here for 450 minutes, unlimited (read the FINE PRINT) data and text is 30 a month USD. I picked up a new smart slider phone with Android 4.0.

Sprint's phone was 3 times the price and never updated past Android 2.3. Monthly fees were close to 80 a month.
Bob

Collapse -
If you are willing to change to a GSM carrier...
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2012 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: @R. Proffitt

...your plan could work. You would have to buy an unlocked smartphone though, which will cost more up front. If you want any sort of subsidized (read, much less expensive) smartphone from any of the major carriers, you will be mandated to keep a data plan on that line. The loopholes are gone for the most part. A few folks are either grandfathered or lucky to not have mandatory data plans for their post-paid iPhones, etc.

You unfortunately lose the free family plan calling, etc. when you move to prepaid, so you have to factor in all of those features you might want/need vs. switching to prepaid and lowering your monthly cost just to get a wifi only smartphone.

Collapse -
a little more involved
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 2:35 AM PST

Merely having an unlocked GSM phone means nothing. If the carrier detects it as a smart phone, a data plan will be requied.

Collapse -
Not completely correct
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2012 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: a little more involved

You can still bring in an unlocked, unbranded smartphone device (not all makes/models, but some) and avoid the mandatory data plan with both ATT & T-Mo. ATT still mostly looks for their own devices, along with iPhones & Nexus variants. Not even all the HTC models w/ ICS (etc.) get flagged, believe it or not. I didn't go into this much detail since the OP seems to be fixated on sticking with his big 'V' family plan.

I realize you used to work for them, but that's *still* currently the situation w/ ATT. Ask around if you don't think it's true. Merely placing your SIM card into a smartphone doesn't necessarily mean they will send you the dreaded 'upgrade to a data plan' message. Right now I can bring in quite a few handsets with no issues <pointing to the table full of various smartphones>. Obviously the OP's asking about Verizon, which is a different situation altogether.

FWIW, Plenty of folks are using unlocked iPhones with Prepaid too, FWIW. You just have to be willing to give up all the post-paid feature you would get otherwise. Even the MVNOs using ATT's network, such as H2O, make good places to keep a unsubsidized or hand-me-down smartphone on the line but w/o spending an extra $20-30 each month.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.