PC Hardware forum

Question

Could my problems running NFSC be a hardware problem?

by Aaron123321123 / October 30, 2013 12:03 PM PDT

I bought a new dual core i7 8 gigs ram geforce 740M laptop and I'm having a couple problems. Sometimes the cursor freezes for 5-10 seconds when browsing the internet, sometimes when listening to music on youtube the music "freezes" and repeats the same tone for 5+ seconds.

Also some days I can run Need For Speed Carbon on high graphics settings and it runs well other days I can't even run it on low graphics settings. I get extremely low framerates on those days like 1-3 frames per second. I made sure there were no processes running in the background.

How can I test if this is a hardware problem so I can get warranty replacement or repair if necessary? I'm running windows 8 and the game is compatible with windows 8 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Need%20for%20Speed%3A%20Carbon&vendor=EA&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows+8

What could the problem be?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Could my problems running NFSC be a hardware problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Could my problems running NFSC be a hardware problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
additional information
by Aaron123321123 / October 30, 2013 12:05 PM PDT

Also I re-installed the graphics driver twice. Product name: HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC product number f0G97UA#ABA

Collapse -
Answer
Laptops tend to get hot and do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 12:12 PM PDT

I'd make it a return issue and try another make and model. HP's destruction of my last laptop in their service is why I write to let them have it back rather than let them repair it.
Bob

Collapse -
Is it this model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 12:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
I can't tell if it's that model but the components look righ
by Aaron123321123 / October 30, 2013 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Is it this model?

My game star wars battlefront 2 can run smoothly on high graphics even up to temperatures of 65 Celcius, need for speed carbon usually creates temperatures in the 40s C.

How can I demand that HP return the laptop? I don't have much experience with returns through a manufacturer.

Collapse -
Only when it's bought directly from them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 4:30 PM PDT

Otherwise you deal with where you bought it. Given my last repair encounter with HP, I can't say I'd go back there.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by Aaron123321123 / October 30, 2013 4:47 PM PDT

sounds good.

Collapse -
Could it be that laptop is using integrated and graphicsCard
by Aaron123321123 / October 31, 2013 6:37 AM PDT

I downloaded this program called GPU Z and it looks like I'm using both my integrated graphics and my graphics card. Could this be a problem?

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 6:47 AM PDT

Folks have posted hundreds of times that question regarding GPU Z. I must defer to the prior discussions.
Bob

Collapse -
And if you can't find them, here they are.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.
Collapse -
that google search didn't have my answer.
by Aaron123321123 / October 31, 2013 7:05 AM PDT

I'm not saying that it doesn't show my video card. There is a dropdown menu which shows both the integrated graphics and the graphics card. The integrated graphics appears to be always at 100% usage while the graphics card goes from 90 to 100% when I'm gaming.

Collapse -
The link was busted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 7:07 AM PDT

But it's a common question and I hope that you and HP can sort it out.

It would be true for the 100% and such other usage in most if not all games. You are repeating prior discussions and I can't give you a summation here. It won't fit.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok I tried to search cnet for "GPU Z" and no relevant result
by Aaron123321123 / October 31, 2013 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: The link was busted.

What question should I pose to HP?

Collapse -
Exactly what you asked here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 1:13 PM PDT

You are running some game and getting low, inconsistent or such FPS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.