Cameras

General discussion

cost to print

by livingstoned / November 13, 2003 12:20 PM PST

does anyone know the estimated/average cost of printing an 8x10 (full page) digital photo taken with a 3.1 mega-pixel camera? i dont know if the pixel size makes a difference in ink consumption. mom, aunts, uncles and cousins want prints of their recent trip to italy. it may get very costly. i want to be fair to all. thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cost to print
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cost to print
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:cost to print
by David Chan / November 13, 2003 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: cost to print

If you use a high grade Premium Photo Paper each sheet costs $1.00.
Plus the costs of color ink your estimated cost/print is $2.00 +.

In this respect you should check at places like Walmart, Costco or OfficeMax as they should offer such enlargements from a digital file.
It may not be much more.
Premium Photo Paper

Collapse -
Re:cost to print. One Dollar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2003 8:04 PM PST

David answer is the same as mine. If you up the cost of the paper, then the price goes up. But on average, including the cost of the ink jet printer, ink, paper and such, the cost per full sheet page seems to hover near one dollar.

Digital Pictures are great stuff since you can pick and choose which you want a print of. I find them useful for newsletters, emails and archive.

I don't print all of them. My archive has just 3,968 images that I keep on CD-R.

Bob

Collapse -
Photo Printing Costs Inkjet / Laser / Dye Sub
by americanrob / January 3, 2005 10:19 AM PST

I can't find a really good analysis of the cost of printing a digital photo on color inkjet vs. color laser vs. dye sub dedicated photo printer. Assumedly the lasers should be cheapest (page print costs), followed by the inkjets, and finally with the dye sub printers being most expensive on a page by page cost.

To further complicate, in the category of inkjet printers I have heard that the HP is the most expensive and that the Canon and Epsons are cheaper.

If anyone knows data, or where I can find it, that breaks down the number of 4"x6" photos that can be printed before the ink cartridge (toner/dye sub film) has to be replaced, cost of photo paper, etc... Including HP vs. Epson vs. Canon inkjets as well as Lasers from a number of manufacturers and finally dye sub costs.

I am really concerned with long term costs as I have around 500 to 1000 digital photos I need to print from 2 years of traveling around the world.

Thank you very much in advance.

Collapse -
For you, the best price is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2005 10:27 AM PST

Those self service printing machines at Walmart, Walgreens and so on. You'll find them for a fixed price per print.

Let's say it's the usual 26 cents per print. 1,000 prints is 260.00 dollars and you would be hard pressed to buy a printer, paper and ink for that amount.

Bob

Collapse -
Canon i9900 vs. Epson 2200
by americanrob / January 4, 2005 10:57 AM PST

Thanks for the advice. Went to Costco and at $0.19 per print they seem to be pretty good quality.

I was wondering are there any printing cost numbers for the Canon i9900 vs. Epson 2200 (photo / mixed color graphics)? Have heard that the Canon ink cartriges are really cheap but then recently read a review that rated the photo costs for the Canon to be higher than average.

Girlfriend is a graphic designer so even with costco doing my pics I need a printer.

Thanks

Collapse -
Just me...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2005 11:04 AM PST

When the kid prints full page color, I estimate it's 1 dollar a page if I count printer, ink, everything. If I wasn't as pessimistic, I think it could be 50 cents, but it's some 50 bucks for the full ink set (Epson printer) and the old Canon got tossed when to determine if it died would have cost 75 bucks for a full ink set. The replacement printer was ... 75 bucks...

I'm going with 0.50 to 1.00 dollars for full sheet prints. This is my number for many years of color printing.

Bob

Collapse -
Cost to print
by andyz / January 5, 2005 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Just me...

When I bought my Epsom R800 it was a toss up between that and the i9990. The cost per page, based on reviews I read, was pennies less for the Epsom. The Canon could do more as far as print sizes, but there are variables when you look at ink and paper. I like to use Epsom paper with Epsom ink. But the costs of ink from one machine to the next can vary widely as can the paper. So I think it is hard to say unless you look at all these variables.

I'd research reviews and see how they compared in real tests and factor in what paper you expect to use and what size prints you'll want.

Collapse -
i960 Canon Photo Printer
by jchayer / January 5, 2005 3:34 AM PST

I have had this printer for just about 6 months. The original ink cartridges( 6 individual) that came with the printer are still being used. I have printed approximately 75 4x6 borderless photos and have not had to replace any of the ink cartridges.
I am using Epson Borderless 4x6 Premium Glossy Photo Paper not the Canon as supplied.
The reason being is that I was given this other photo paper, tried it and have gotten wonderful results using it.
The printer can print larger photos, however, I have no need for larger photos. Yesterday I was at Office Max(Minneapolis) and they had the paper I use for sale at 9.95 per box of 100 sheets.
If you do the math you will see that I am not spending very much for the photos I make and I can enhance them if necessary. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Canon vs. Epson
by indybuilder / January 6, 2005 10:04 PM PST

It's going to be tough to pinpoint a precise price. Ilford Gallery paper (very nice but not and archival brand) at Sam's is $23.22 for 100-8? x 11 and Canon carts from Ink Grabber are $2.75 ea (need 6 on the Canon). The Epson printer tends to clog a great deal more than the Canon and requires more clean (waste of ink)

Collapse -
I have both Canon and Epson, Epson clogs a lot
by ramiske / January 7, 2005 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Canon vs. Epson

I actually ended up buying the Canon after so many problems with the cartridges in my Epson. I live in Colorado with a dry climate, so that may be the issue. But the Epson cartridges constantly clog (I've tried 3 different brands of carts, too). I would have to prime/clean the carts 4 or 5 times to get it printing if I skipped a day. This wasted a ton of ink. I can leave my Canon sitting for a week, click print, and it's perfect!! No jets are out!

My Epson is now sitting in the closet!!

Collapse -
Warehouse clubs may be your best bet
by loatlanta / January 5, 2005 1:50 PM PST

Hi! Sam's Club and Costco have awesome prices for film developing. An 8x10 is well under $1.00 (I want to say 59 to 89 cents). Their prices for 4x6 prints are also great - always under 20 cents, and sometimes less (depending on what part of the country you live in).
Sam's Club allows you to upload your pictures from home and pick them up in the store in an hour (or you can pay to have them shipped to you). Costco only does this is limited areas.
Snapfish also seems to have good prices on developing.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Cost comparison by Daniel Gray
by GreggN / January 6, 2005 8:21 PM PST

Here's a link to a chart that compares prices from several services for developing prints.
http://www.geekbooks.com/photo_prints_1000.htm

Don't forget to check into prices at your local photo labs at Meijer's, Walmart, etc.

If you decide to have your own printer, beware of the hidden costs (photo paper, photo ink, mistakes that necessitate reprints, paper jams that cause frustration, mess, environment for proper paper storage, eventual printer repair or replacement)

Collapse -
cost of 8x10 color printing
by pawpawmac / January 6, 2005 9:15 PM PST

I calculate the cost of injet printing an 8 by 10 color photo at 80 cents. This is based on premium glossy photo paper and a refurbushed color cartidge purchased on line. I did not include cost of the printer or computer as they are a given===

Collapse -
Sent them CD
by raglogsup / January 7, 2005 12:30 AM PST

I had the same problem because my family is very large and everyone wants pictures. I still need to print about 300 for myself. What I did was burn a CD and sent it to them. For the one's that still want prints they can go to WalMart and print the one's they want. For the one's that have a DVD player they can put the CD in it and see the picturs on thier TV. I found they liked this because I was able to give them more pictures and they could view them all, but get prints for only the ones they wanted to.

The cost doesn't seem to really matter when you have SO many that you would need to get. It would add up really fast no matter which route you took.

Collapse -
I depends
by tek-ed / January 7, 2005 12:43 AM PST

on your printer.
Ink costs are different depending on printer. I have found that the multiple inks in a single cartridge to be more expensive than the single ink/single cartridge.
Plus, you can get more ink life if you have more colors. If you have a printer that uses 8 cartridges, they will last longer than a printer that uses 6 cartridges (less color interpolation if you have more colors)
But, with services offering 4X6 prints for 0.19$ per print (Costco offers this price) It really makes no sense to print tons of pictures yourself.
And you can have a whole 'nuther conversation on nothing but paper! Suffice it to say that it can get expensive to print hi-quality pictures...
Ed
web/gadget guru

Collapse -
Re: Cost to Print
by shahabi / January 7, 2005 3:00 AM PST

try either snapfish or ofoto, they have decent rates. it think ofoto is about $4 a print but i may be wrong.

Collapse -
cost of 8x10 photos
by jagwoods51 / January 7, 2005 4:30 AM PST

This can vary quite a bit...I have found that ofoto.com is the cheapest and most reliable at about 4 bucks roughly...and they're always having sales

Collapse -
Re:cost to print
by dlyle / January 7, 2005 7:56 AM PST

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is photo quality.
I have an HP camera & Canon printer that are both a little older. No matter how I tried enhancing the photos & no matter kind of paper, even with a photo cartridge, the picture quality just wasn't that great. Of course, the best pics were with the most premium paper, which gets rather costly. But none compared to the quality of the ones I got from the one-hour lab at Wal-mart (or Costco, Sam's Club, etc). And if you're not in a hurry for the prints, wait till one of the chains runs a sale. So it may not only be cheaper to get them developed, you may get better prints as well. I could probably get better prints at home with a newer printer, but that would make it really expensive, considering I don't really NEED a new printer. My Canon still works fine for all my other printing needs.
Dlyle

Collapse -
Sharing prints with family and friends
by skppr1 / January 7, 2005 12:25 PM PST

I am the "unofficial" family event photographer. I have found the best way to share photos with everyone is to upload them to Ofoto (or one of the other similar services) and then invite all interested parties to view all the photos that were taken at the event/trip, etc. (Ofoto sends an email to them with a link.)They can then pick the photos they want and order the number and size they want. It works great for my clan, especially since it is so easy for me. I do them the favor of editing all the photos with Photoshop before uploading, so the photos they have to choose from are nicely cropped and tweaked.

Collapse -
My estimate...
by kimnicho / January 8, 2005 11:25 AM PST

Most estimates say 29 cents for a 4x6 so I would guess .30 x4 = $1.20 PLUS extra cost of paper so ~ $1.50 ?

Collapse -
cost to print
by Rachelef / January 10, 2005 7:26 AM PST

These days, prices for real photos from a lab are cheaper than home printing, are of a better quality and will last longer without fading. Home photo printers are also pretty cheap, but the real money is in the consumables, that is, the ink. You will find you won;t get many good quality 8x10" photos from the average printer cartridge.
The cheapest I have found is at www.digitalprints.com.au, where you can upload photos and get and 8x10 or 8x12" for only $3 AUD, and mini poster prints of 10x15" are only $5 AUD

Collapse -
Price of an 8x10 digital photo print
by judla1 / January 10, 2005 1:10 PM PST

I have found that uploading my pictures to a web site and ordering my prints from this site is more efficient. The site I use charges $3.79 for an 8x10 and $.95 for a 5x7 and $.19 for a 4x6 print. They use high quality Kodak paper and I have never been disappointed with the high quality of prints processed. I can get a print from my home printer but my printer eats the color ink. Since all printers and their inks are different, to get an true price breakdown for your printer you would have to do the math. Add the price of the paper, the ink, and divide by the number of prints you get would give you a price. So that I don't advertise the on-line photo processing site I use, I suggest you do a google search and compare prices. Also check out digital photo machines (where you can print pictures from your camera memory disk) now available at several retail department establishments. I hope that I have been helpful.

Collapse -
epson cheaper yah right
by larryt2 / June 15, 2005 6:56 AM PDT

I use to own a.lexmark Z42 and the color cartridge lasted me about two years the replacement cartridge was about 60 dollars CDN and the black cartridge was abit less . when I purchased a new multi function I looked at the page yield and they all showed higher with lower cost per page. I chose the epson CX4600 and boy did I get a shock . After a week of minimal text printing the all the ink levels started to drop after 4 month I was replacing my 1st set of cartridges Cost $18.99 each for color and $36.00 for black . total cost about about the same as the lexmark and of course Epson like most printer companies recomend to only use there inks or damage may be done to the print heads . Well here I am 7 month into the first year Halfway through the second set again minimal printing mostly text . now I am trying to get a hold of Epson I want my money back . but there customer service does not seem to exist . My recomendation would be an HP or lexmark as you can refill the cartridges without fear of damaging the heads . as you would have chucked them along with the cartidges and cannon the head can be replaced for about $60.00 cdn. You cant replace the epson heads so they are definatly a disposible printer . Reguarding Epsons high ink usage search ''high ink usage Epson '' and read stories from others that are having the same problems. DON'T BE FOOLED

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.