Computer Help forum

General discussion

''Corrupt or missing file C;\$MFT..'' repeatedly.. HELP PLS!

by saumeetgs / October 26, 2006 6:54 AM PDT

About a week ago my laptop started asking to check my C-drive every time I turn it on. At first I let it the chkdsk run, noticing it was only doing 3 stages, (the first three of the normal five stages). Eventully I started getting sick of it so started cancelling it before it got started and just starting winXP-home.

Either way, once I log on (or any of the user accounts, not just my own.) I get a yellow warning sign down near the time display and the message telling me the file C:\$MFT [actually it uses a more distinct dollar sign] and advising me to run the chkdsk utility. When I do, ticking the boxs to fix errors and to repair damaged sections, reboot, wait the 3 hours or so that it takes to finish all 5 stages, I get relief but only until someone else logs in. They then get the same message, but with limited accounts they can't schedule a chkdsk and if I log back on, the same message comes up for me too and I have to go through the whole process again.

I want to swear, so, WHAT THE %@#$ IS THIS C:\$MFT FILE? I can't find it at all so I guess it is missing. And, how do I solve it once and for all? Can anyone help???

I should point out also, that at about the same time this started last week, I also started getting another message that a TIME EXECUTABLE is not working and needs to close. I am given three options, DEBUG (tried it, nothing happens except a fresh copy of the same message reappears), CLOSE (that works) and MORE INFO. the info is that this relates to
AppName:lxbttime.exe, and ModName:lxbtuldr.dll.

Nothing even similar in my start programs list, but in the Programs Files folder I found Lx_Cats but the folder has 3 x XML Documents, a file with the extention .A00 and a file called LXBTCATS.dll and nothing else. I have tried the Remove Programs facility in control panel but it doesn't show up.

I doubt the two events are related but since the problems both started about the same time I could be wrong.

If they are unrelated issues, can I, regards the second problem [with lxbt....], just delete the folder? Would this fix it? Also, any idea what it is? I had noticed it was in the programs list over 6 mnths ago but the problem with TIME EXECUTABLE has only been coming up this past week or so, since the first problem [C:\$MFT] began.

Tech details:
Acer Aspire 3500 Laptop running WinXP Home, Intel Celeron M processor 1.5GHz, 1.5GHz 448MB of RAM. What else do you need to know to help on either or both? Ask and you can have the full system analysis file if you want.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ''Corrupt or missing file C;\$MFT..'' repeatedly.. HELP PLS!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ''Corrupt or missing file C;\$MFT..'' repeatedly.. HELP PLS!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a bad sign. The MFT is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 7:14 AM PDT

The Master File Table ( When you see this corrupting it's usually a sign of failing hardware (often hard disk or RAM) or a nasty bug.

Do the usual scans with EWIDO, HOUSECALL and the Rootkit Revealer but then find the drive's maker and see if they have a drive fitness test.

But before all this save what you can't lose on some other media or memory key.

Collapse -
NOT A Good Thing.. Make Backups Now...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 7:21 AM PDT

After making the backups, I would run "Error Checking/Chkdsk" using the instructions from the link below which will run the full 5 stage version. It might be able to fix the problem file and sectors.

How To Run Error Checking/Chkdsk

A few are showing this issue after installing Internet Explorer 7. Is that the case with you? If so, some have been able to use System Restore successfully.

The Microsoft File Table is corrupted and if "Error Checking" doesn't fix the issue, then look toward repartitioning, reformatting and reinstallation everything. And in some case, the hard drive may need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks for help
by saumeetgs / October 28, 2006 12:17 PM PDT

Thank you. Yes I have just upgraded to IE7, right about when these problems started..

I have actually done all 5 stages of chkdsk, which fixed the problem for about 15 minutes or so or maybe it has been just till I would use ie7 again.

Already done two types of backups, one of everything and one of just my data files so will try the restore if I can get it to go back that far. Will post results here shortly.

Is this what is causing lot's of other programs to fail or not run normally?

Wish me luck,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have You Tried Using System Restore To Find Out?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 29, 2006 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for help
Collapse -
Could this be yet another IE7 issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2006 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for help

I'd been hit with far too many people asking how to recover from IE7. Those that worked are happy, then we have the rest.

My machine isn't going to IE7 and I dumped the koolaid out.

Collapse -
Thanks for your invaluable help
by saumeetgs / October 29, 2006 7:36 PM PST

I guess this is classic proof of the need to keep regular backups, even if there is nothing vital.

As I mentioned in my last thread, I had just downloaded IE7 about when the problem started. Looks like it was the culprit. I again ran the complete 5 stages of the chkdsk utility but it failed to fix the problem.

Dozens of times, since your advice, I tried to do a system restore. I tried it from within the help center, I tried it during bootup, I tried it using several restore points. Each time I would get right through to the last stage but when I would confirm the restore nothing would happen. Knowing it can be a little while setting up the restore before shutting down I even tried leaving it for upto an hour after hitting Restore. My comp was doing something, the CPU showed between 2 & 20% activity, coming from iexplore.exe and acs.exe, but it would not restore.

Luckily I had taken CNET's advice previously and bought an external backup HD scheduled to do BackupA on the first of each month, and BackupB on the fourteenth (double the safety I figured, just incase it was a problem I hadn't discovered within a fortnight - just like this.)

My backup program, however, like many other programs had started to do, would not run at all. Luck was with me in that the laptop came with a set of restore disks so finally I was able to rebuild my files, at least to the original state when purchased. I then just copy/pasted my documents etc from the external to the internal harddrives.

Now my computer is almost back to where it was before IE7 stuffed it up. Except that my G-Force licence has expired so won't update, all my programs are now working correctly again.

I cannot thank you enough for your assistance. While I originally asked for help in the hope of avoiding having to rebuild my system, without your help I would simply have upgraded to IE7 again and no doubt the problem would be back.

How will we know when it is safe to use IE7 again? Apart from it destroying my file registry I had been quite keen on it. I liked the Tab system, found it had been opening pages faster and the layout was simple and easy to use.

Thank god for CNET!

Collapse -
When? I'm waiting till 7.1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2006 11:53 PM PST

While many have no issues to report, I'm waiting.

Till then I use the alternatives.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.