Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Corrupt File Problem

by standeb / December 6, 2012 2:17 PM PST

Hello All,

I still run win XP Pro, SP3 my system information are as follows:-

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name MR-5A630AEF9F78 System Manufacturer MSI System Model MS-7597 System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3013 Mhz BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V10.2, 3/14/2011 SMBIOS Version 2.5 Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" User Name MR-5A630AEF9F78\mr smart Time Zone SA Western Standard Time Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB Available Physical Memory 2.11 GB Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB Page File Space 4.81 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys.

I found my system to be running too slow and did an avast bootup scan whyich revealed "File C:\Documents and settings\mrsmart\Application Data\Chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1\Local Store\downloads\PlatformASR_Fina_en-us.\Charts\series\Bar Series.html error 42125 {zip archive is corrupted."

Thanking you in advance for any assistance that can be rendered with a view to fixing the corrupted file. I don't know how to do this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupt File Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupt File Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A corrupt ZIP ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 6, 2012 4:03 PM PST
In reply to: Corrupt File Problem

archive of some charts shouldn't be causing a slow boot.

Often corrupt archive files cannot be fixed, they have to be replaced (in your case based on the path given, probably reinstalling something you downloaded.

You could try

and look through these for other utilities that might fix the file:

It could also be that AVAST itself is having trouble opening the archive and defaulting to calling it corrupt.

Collapse -
Re Avast! Boot Scan:
by mchainmchain / December 6, 2012 4:13 PM PST

An archive file is one that is compressed to save space, time in downloading, and protect the files contained within from alteration from without. Zip, RAR, etc., files are archived files.

Wikipedia listing of the many archive formats available here:

As many of the archived files contain a password within them, Avast! does not know the password and therefore reports the file is 'corrupt' since it cannot open it without the password; it needs that password and does not know it so it therefore cannot open it.

There is nothing wrong with the file because Avast! cannot open it due to this unknown password.

Why does this happen only with Avast!?

It is because an user selects Boot Scan, and under the settings of that scan, done when Windows is not loaded, it checks all files, including archived files. A normal scan done in Windows, with only default settings checked off, will not even look at archived files. So, no report of a corrupt archive file will ever occur when it is run at default settings only.

An archived file is inert, cannot run on your system as is. It must be opened and then run. Because it is inert, it cannot harm your system until it is opened and run and only if it contains malicious files within it.

Boot Scan is unique to Avast!. No other a/v offers this capability.

So, to end this discussion on a happier note, there is nothing wrong with the file in question.

There is nothing to fix.

Avast! simply cannot read and open the file. That is all it is reporting.

Question: Why run Boot Scan at all?

Collapse -
I turned off the boot scan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 2:49 AM PST

I let it try a few times and then decided that with my use and the current protection it was not worth it.

HOWEVER!!!! Why are you booting like this? Did you try HIBERNATION to see if you can get a faster boot?

Collapse -
: Corrupt File Problem by standeb
by standeb / December 8, 2012 10:41 AM PST

Hello All,

Thank you so much for your replies and/or suggestions. I tried everything suggested by all of you and could not get a positive solution. However what accurred is that I tried Malwarebytes and a full scan revealed 8 items which turned out to be PUPS. These files appeared to me to have been downloaded via an update from Adobe for the program Adobe Master Collection CS6. Updates come in upon notification and are downloaded and installed in the background so that you never see what the updates are but you will know which part of the program was updated because when you check the program you will see category update marked as current and those that are not current may be marked as pending or out of date. The pups referred to are in the malwarebytes quarantine. Another check for updates showed that the same amount of mb as the first download was ready. I have taken that up date but I wonder whether It really the same update, and is it clean and should I delete the pups from the quarantine because those pups are dlls qand I am not sure what to do. I read somewhere on the internet at some time that pups should not be deleted from a sustem, therefore I am confused.

It seems that the corrupt files are the dlls.

I shall be grateful to have your further ideas and/or suggestions.

Collapse -
DLL issues
by pgc3 / December 9, 2012 1:22 AM PST

There are some online fixits for DLL file problems, you could try one of them or..if you have access to another computer with the same OS you could do a search for the SPECIFIC DLL's that are missing or corrupted,after finding the SPECIFIC DLL's send them to an external source, preferably a flash drive and upload them to the system with the problem. It is a bit of a task to do but I have done this a couple of times over the years.

Collapse -
: Corrupt File Problem
by standeb / December 9, 2012 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: DLL issues

Hello All,

Again thank you for your replies, comments and/or suggestions. In reply to the Post by Bob. I sought to find the reason why my system was booting so slow. It raised so red flags in my mind so I did a Avast bootup scan and got the notification that there were corrupt files in the system. I then did a Malwarebytes scan which found the 8 [PUP] files. I did not try hibernation but since the Malwarebytes scan the system is booting up as fast all as it always did. I am not sure I understand what is ment by "I turned off the boot scan".

With respect to the post by pgc3. May I ask how the uploading of the files to the system is done after having found the dll files. I have not found the files yet but would want to know what to dao after transfering them to the flash drive.

I note however that part of my problem question probably inadvertently remains unanswered. That part was Reply number 4 by me of date12/8/12. Perhaps a look at what was explained therein can assist in shedding some light to the problem.

Meanwhile in the light of the suggestion you made I would seek to find the required files and then your instructions when I receive them, as to how to proceed afterwards will be attempted.

Thanks again as I await your replies.

Collapse -
I turned off the boot scan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 5:11 AM PST

This is a setting in Avast.

But you bring up a good point. Should users and owners know this stuff?

Collapse -
Corrupt File Problem
by standeb / December 18, 2012 1:34 PM PST

Hello Guys,

I got the solution. In my former post I spoke of Malwarebytes picking up 8 PUPS. That was a false positive. Since I kept those files in quarantine, I decided to return them to the mother program because the mother program was not initializing. So soon as I did that the program worked perfectly and the system sluggishness disappeared. Seems Avast really could not read files that were not there. And I do believe that users should know this stuff. I helps to understand the way the AV works and usuers would not blame the AV when they know that something else is amiss. Most users like myself do not take time to learn and quite understand what the AV does or does not do. I will not be going through my AV with a view to understanding how it works and what it does.

Meanwhile, my thanks to you for your replies and/or suggestions will be in order.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.