Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Correct way to turn a computer on

by saywhatnow / October 22, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

At present, before I go surfing, I turn my computer on and then connect to the Internet. I have been told it is OK to connect to the internet. Will connecting to the internet affect my computer in any way?

Is this the correct way to turn my computer on

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Correct way to turn a computer on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Correct way to turn a computer on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Saywhat, Please Explain...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2005 6:59 AM PDT

Unless your computer is turned on, you can't access the internet through a browser..Obviously, you can't use the computer if it's turned OFF. What other way is there?

By the way, whenever posting question on these forum, please give us as much information about your computer as possible..Operating system, processors speed, and in this case the type of internet connection you have..dial-up, DSL, Cable, something else? The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be..

In regards to your other question..."Will connecting to the internet affect my computer in any way?"

Yes, connecting to the internet, although basically a routine process, has the ability to do both good and bad things to your computer. Much like driving an automobile, there are things gained by using the internet, but there are also "dangers" to watch for.

Good things are done for your computer when you visit the Windows Update site, antivirus updates site, and other software update sites and install those updates. They make your computer run better and run more secure on the internet and during normal operations. Bad things can occur when you visit websites of "shady" nature which can infect your computer with spyware/adware and viruses...

Make sure you have a good, current antivirus program installed on the computer..If firewall is usually a necessary item, especially if you're using Windows 2000 or XP.. And you should also install antispyware programs.

Hope this helps and let us know more..We should be able to give you specific suggestions if you can explain exactly what you're looking for..

Collapse -
To Earth911..
by jackintucson / October 22, 2005 6:59 AM PDT

Your reply was inappropriate and therefor deleted.

Collapse -
Are you asking if it's ok to
by nino88 / October 22, 2005 12:44 PM PDT

connect the internet wire 24/7 to your computer?

Collapse -
you're doing it the "right" way
by jonah jones / October 22, 2005 2:00 PM PDT

if i understood your question...

connecting after you turn on is to insure that your firewall/anti-virus is up and running...

this, of course is only relevant if you have a cable connection, if you have a dial up/modem then connecting is dependant on the computer working...

Collapse -
You all missed the point, I think
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 23, 2005 5:01 AM PDT

A little further down the list of threads in this forum, there is a question about the correct way to turn a computer off.
106 posts later, there is still not a consensus as to what is the correct way. The last post is from saywhatnow who wondered if a similar post about how to turn a computer on, would generate as much response. If you look at the wording of the original post, you will notice that it is rather similar to the original of this one. Perhaps saywhatnow was wondering if the original poster was any the wiser for all the information posted.
Just a thought

Collapse -
Nope, Nothing Missed Here..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2005 6:18 AM PDT I saw the other post. I almost deleted this topic as SPAM/Off topic...but then, what the heck, let's see if Saywhat really wants an answer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Probably not
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 23, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

I think the point was to poke fun at the "turn off a computer" post.
There is a specific order in which machine and its peripherals should be powered up.

Collapse -
Earth911, Your Post Was Removed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

In that post, you asked: "What this is inappropriate to?"

The answer is YES...Attacking a member's post or a moderator as "stupid" or using vulgar lanaguage is against forum policies..Flaming and abusive language is not permitted. Although we appreciate your posts, please recognize that this is a Newbies forum and both new and experienced members appreciate a respectful response...even when the original topic may be a little unusual.

Thanks for considering our forum policies.

Collapse -
Earth 911
by taboma / October 24, 2005 2:27 PM PDT

Grif, Good for you for doing so. Kind of a mindless question in the first place: How do you turn your computer on?
There was a poster a while back asking why Apple did not have a two-button mouse.
If he only knew at the time?

Collapse -
Back To The Original Question
by dcmorris / October 25, 2005 1:06 AM PDT

This being a Newbie forum I would assume most questions are posed by Newbies and the answer supplied by those who are a little more to a great deal more advanced.
saywhatnow asked a question that would seem to be from someone who just unpacked and set up a computer for the very first time.
Assuming this, Grif answered his question.
As to the real motive for the question, who knows?
In the final analysis the moderators did not treat it as spam. A good decision as there was no basis for doing so as it seemed an innocent question as a lot of mine have been.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.