Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Question

corporate email systems for small and large firms

by ATP-1 / May 26, 2013 12:33 PM PDT

I have some general questions for those who have installed corporate email systems, for small and large firms:

i) are corporate email systems for small firms vastly different from desktop systems?; if so, how?

ii) despite an individual possessing an individual email box(& password presumably), is it possible that these systems, large & small, can be set up so that all the incoming email goes to someone else first ie. private secretary, or departmental secretary?? would this mean that the secretary/departmental secretary has been granted administrator rights?

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: corporate email systems for small and large firms
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: corporate email systems for small and large firms
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 12:37 PM PDT

Many use Exchange Server and surpise, Lotus Notes.

I'm going to write that what you asked in part ii is covered in the courses your admin takes on said systems.
Bob

Collapse -
by ATP-1 / May 26, 2013 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: In short.

As I do not come from an IT background, and do not 'have' or employ an administrator, it makes understanding a little difficult, wouldn't you say?

Collapse -
Why yes, I would say that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2013 12:20 AM PDT

It's like the hospital director that wants to know why all those rooms, equipment is needed as well as systems. They tend to not do the actual surgery since that would be difficult.

Have you seen that many directors today seem to want to know how things work but when you pull them into the few month course on say Windows Exchange Server and more they back away?
Bob

Collapse -
by ATP-1 / May 27, 2013 2:40 AM PDT

I do not know what you want from me, or want me to do.

If question i) is a stumbling block, how about we try for question ii)?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Question 1 is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2013 3:04 AM PDT

Your corporate email systems have many other requirements. Such as Sarbanes Oxley retention requirements so you as the director of IT would have to use a server.

Your Question 2 is handled by the email server administrator to implement this.

Your questions are good but since I limit my replies to what fits in this space and can't condense a course into 3 paragraphs I keep it short.

Maybe you can explain more about your goals and why you don't want to take a course in company email servers such as I noted? Maybe you are seeing what I'm seeing today. That is, I see a new group of graduates that think that all these apps and servers have been simplified to the point you can point and click without any courses or programming.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.