TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

copying DISH dvr recordings

by ringlerclan / August 27, 2010 10:18 AM PDT

Is there a way to save my dvr recordings to my laptop and then making a dvd that can be played on a dvd player tied into my TV. My husband is switching from DISH to DIRECT TV but wants to save all of the concerts that he has recorded for the past 3 years.

Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: copying DISH dvr recordings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: copying DISH dvr recordings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They are all 5C encrypted
by Pepe7 / August 27, 2010 1:22 PM PDT

It's not going to happen unfortunately. Plus, this forum prohibits discussion of copyright circumvention, which is what you are describing.

Try perusing satelliteguys.us for more specifics.

Collapse -
more questions
by ringlerclan / August 27, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

can we at least save the recordings to play later? not make a dvd

Collapse -
Not unless you keep the service
by Pepe7 / August 28, 2010 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: more questions

The encryption forces you to keep the same hardware & service in order to be able to view your saved concerts. Moving off the files doesn't mean they aren't still encrypted/protected. That's how the big companies keep us addicted unfortunately ;(.

Again, since the mods are strict around here about circumventing copyright, I will only suggest that you head over to satelliteguys.us for more background info on what you could try. Also keep in mind that some concerts broadcast on TV are often available on DVD that you could grab on the cheap online from amazon, etc. If you want help locating anything, give me a shout in this thread w/ the concert artists/titles/dates and I'll help see if their available. Quality will also be better that what you've saved on your DVR, FWIW.

Collapse -
possibility
by Pepe7 / August 28, 2010 12:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
For Dish yes
by givemeaname / August 28, 2010 2:39 AM PDT

There some buts...

You have to pay a one time fee of $49 (about) too activate the UBS port on their DVR's

You have to buy a dedicated external USB HDD

You have to say with Dish since it is incripted (there are ways of getting around the incription but we can not talk about that here).

Collapse -
Standalone DVD recorder works
by so-poor / August 28, 2010 1:12 PM PDT

I am disabled no longer able to work. Alas, I LOVE TV way too much (and have too much time to watch--kind of use it for companionship when husband at work)

I had a Dish DVR in my study and recorded on it--however, my study/computer room has only my computer chair which is not comfortable. So I hooked up a DVD recorder/player to the DVR. I think Dish's DVR manual tells you how to hook it up. Between DVR and television just as you would hook up a VCR.

I'm referring to a DVD recorder/player like a VCR. Play DVR recording us you normally would but record show on DVD recorder as DVR recording is playing on your TV. TV does not have to be on.

I copied my DVR recordings to DVD so I could watch them on my 32 inch TV in my bedroom. I have a comfortable recliner in there. However, I only recorded broadcast shows from my DVR--I never purchased pay-per-view so I don't think I was breaking any copyright laws--and I only made the DVD recordings so I could actually watch the shows. Location shifting just as DVR and VCR allow you to watch shows some other time than their broadcast times. Besides my physical disabilities I need a larger TV screen to see picture properly.

Oh, recordings made on a DVD recorder/player are compatible with computers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.