Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Copy/Transfer OS to another pc

by pcguy_jim / June 29, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

XP pro is on a preinstalled partition (i have the recovery disks only) on my laptop.

Which is the best / easiest way to copy the OS only, to my other pc, prior to shredding the current HD

After shredding how would i move the OS back to the Laptop if it is completly empty.

Hope this makes sence!!

The reason i asked is that formating does not remove all the information. the disk is nearly full. would shredding give me much more space?

The laptop is my main server in the home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy/Transfer OS to another pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy/Transfer OS to another pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't be done. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2006 2:47 AM PDT

The laptops with supplied OSes are LOCKED to that hardware and when moved will not boot or ACTIVATE.

As to copying the hard disk, that is easy. Look up Acronis, DriveCopy, Ghost and many others.

"After shredding how would i move the OS back to the Laptop if it is completly empty."

This makes no sense at all. The drive would be as it was at the beginning of the operation. Maybe if you revealed the issues and goals something else can be offered.

Bob

Collapse -
More info
by Merl Priester / June 29, 2006 2:27 PM PDT

If you are asking to use the OS on another machine then Bob is correct, you cannot do that.
If you want to move it to another PC so you can transfer it to a new and bigger laptop drive, then yes you can do that.
You will need adapters for the laptop drives so they will work on USB or IDE connections in a desktop. Then you can clone your laptop drive to new laptop drive.

Other options, use software that will make an image of your laptop drive to DVD (if your laptop will burn them)
and then restore the image from the DVDs to the new drive.
There are a multitude of drive imaging software out there.

Cheapest method: New drive reinstall from restore disks, reinstall software, restore data.

This also gives you a clean install.

Collapse -
more info
by pcguy_jim / June 29, 2006 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: More info

I think i understand.
the reason for formating a shredding is that. It needs a format, and i thought ! shredding would free more space and make the disk run smoother. as at present it is very slow nearly full and a little noisy (grainy).

so i can copy the HD on the laptop to another storage divice (dont have a DVD burner) eg file on another pc?

then shred HD on laptop, replace original data from the back up?

Or should i just refomat again? will shredding make any real differnce to the performance of the HD?

Thanks for all your help. sorry if i seem a little vague!

Collapse -
No payoff. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2006 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: more info

Let's say you successfully create a backup of said hard disk, format it and then restore the backup. I hope you see that the hard disk is now exactly the way it was at the beginning of this exercise.

Bob

Collapse -
Drive space
by billzhills / June 29, 2006 11:24 PM PDT

Noticed in another post that HDD had grainy sound.

You need to first run a HDD diagonsit utility on the drive. If it is failing nothing you do will increase the performace.

Second: Formating a drive removes the pointers (simplifed) to the OS and files. Creating to the OS an empty drive. (again simplifed).

No need to move the OS to another system. Hard copy your files to DVD/CDs. Bring up the recover partition and do a destrictive restore. All data will be lost and system returned to factory condition.

Blll

Collapse -
re HD
by pcguy_jim / July 1, 2006 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Drive space

Most helpfull thanks.

I have not herd of a "destrictive restore" please run through the process i would need to do, to under take sugested task? does the above if any differ from a format?

regards

Collapse -
Depends...
by John.Wilkinson / July 2, 2006 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: re HD

Since you have an OEM Recovery System, the answer varies. With a retail version of XP, it's the same for everyone since you just have a copy of a mass-produced CD from Microsoft. However, computer manufacturers customize their copies how they see fit, and can vary it from model to model. Thus we'd need a make and model for specifics.

Now, a destructive recovery is the OEM Recovery System equivalent to reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS...it wipes all of the data so you can start fresh. A non-destructive recovery is the OEM Recovery System equivalent of a repair installation, in which the key system files are replaced while the existing programs and files are left in tact. Note, though, that this varies...some non-destructive recoveries do wipe some non-system files, so it's wise to keep an up-to-date backup just in case.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Note that OEM recovery Systems are linked to the manufacturer's hardware, so they won't work on other computers, whereas a retail version of XP will, with certain stipulations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.