Storage forum

General discussion

Copy to flash drive...without properties?

by 1Chris / January 3, 2010 3:06 AM PST

I have a Sony 8 Gb usb flash drive with compression software. I haven't touched the compression software yet. When copying a folder from my computer, "are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" for 4 files. I don't have a clue what this means.

I also am curious about the compression software. It looks like it will become a resident in the System Tray in the computer when you activate it. I'm trying to figure out how this works and would prefer not to add anything to the startup or System Tray. It mentions something about a peculiar interaction with Windows Vista and 7 - any clarification about this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy to flash drive...without properties?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy to flash drive...without properties?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2010 3:13 AM PST

If the source file system is NTFS and the destination if FAT (any of FAT12, FAT16, FAT32) then this message can appear. The files will be fine.

Collapse -
but how do I turn it off?
by Obi-Wrong-Kenobi / January 31, 2014 6:38 PM PST
In reply to: Explainer.

I know it's because my thumb drive is fat32. I'm copying a shed load of files and walk away because I know it's going to take a couple of hours.

I come back a couple of hours later to find this pointless and useless message has paused the process and I need to give it another couple of hours.

Of course I'm not copying all the properties - I'm going to a fat32 drive that doesn't support them. I know this. I also know that using NTFS on the thumb drive isn't an optionin this case (need read/write to work on many OS).

I just need to know what I can do to stop the message coming up - is there a setting that doesn't store these uncopyable properties in NTFS? Is there a registry setting to ignore the warning and copy anyway?

Collapse -
I can avoid the message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 1:19 AM PST

I copy from a command prompt. As that is a basic survival skill for PC users and this is an old post, I'll share my solution and stop.

Collapse -
here's my script to suppress those damned dialogs
by Josh Whitkin / October 12, 2015 10:20 PM PDT

My crude but effective solution is a 7-line script. Whenever the dreaded dialog appears, the script presses Alt-A for "do this for all", and Alt-Y for "yes, lose the properties."

If you can bear the risk of downloading an .exe file, you can skip steps 1 to 3 and download the .exe at, and add it to your Startup Folder (step 4 below). ...but there have been a lot of bad programs hiding as AutoITscripts, so it's safer to take 10 minutes and compile it yourself. It's free and not terribly hard:

1. Download and install AutoITScript from (It's free and widely trusted alternative to VBScript. I used it because I've found VBScript unreliable in detecting Windows dialogs that are rapidly appearing/disappearing and modal, inactive, minimized, or otherwise odd. And, AutoIT is absurdly easy to compile to a standalone .exe, which I like.)

2. From the Github repository (, save only the script file "stop-copy-dialog.au3" to your desktop. Open it in any text editor and read it carefully. When you're convinced it's harmless, rename it if you like and continue.

3. On your desktop, right-click this .au3 file. and choose "compile script (x86)" from the context menu (AutoIT added these). An .exe file (e.g "stop-copy-dialog.exe") will be created on your desktop. (You can uninstall AutoIT and delete the .au3 file now.)

4. Move this .exe file to your Startup folder (where? press Win-R to run shell:startup)

Run it, or reboot, and you're done! It runs in the background forever. When this (or any AutoITS script) is running, you'll see a new icon in your tray. It's a small white tab with a green square on the left.

Obviously, this script is a crude workaround. I would LOVE IT if someone figured out how to suppress those dialogs in the first place!

Please update Github with a text note if you do know of a better way (ie a registry setting):

Josh Whitkin
Oakland, California 94611

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.