TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Copy shows/movies from U-Verse DVR to external hard drive?

by rluckw / July 19, 2010 3:16 PM PDT

Hi -
I'd really appreciate the help here..... been looking through the similar questions already on the forum and am a bit confused. Also, none I found mention how-to from an AT&T U-Verse, 2wire dvr system.

I have a fairly new HP desktop running Windows 7, a "franken"-OneTouch4 Plus external 1TB hard drive (had to replace the case cuz we lost the power cord in moving and manufacturer folded), an external dvd burner on the pc, and could also use an *old* HP laptop or my acer netbook in the process if needed. I also *might* be able to get my hands on a media hard drive (attaches to tv). This is a very shaky *might*.

As I mentioned, we have u-verse and a 2wire gateway, and the normal u-verse box on the tv. We need to tighten our budget and have to cut the "paying for TV" cord, since we don't watch much beside local channels anyway. But, we want to save a lot of little-kids tv shows (my sanity savers!) and movies we've collected and not yet viewed (plan to view the films in winter).

So, if you can't already tell, I'm not very tech-savy, and don't have an HD tv - so I just need the quality to be viewable, not HD.
I'm just a budget-consious mom who's trying to figure this out. I've seen a few devices mentioned (other posts) to facilitate the process, but I can't spend $100 on this right now... and don't have a tv-to-dvd burner. Well, is this possible?? Could I do it without buying anything? Or, can it be done cheap??
I'd prefer to copy files to the external drive, and dont have time to record to dvd while viewing. (if I had that kinda time now, I wouldn't need to save as much!)
If so, can someone post or send me the process, and dummy-it-down a bit for me??? Wink

Any real help here is VERY appreciated!! If I can get this done right (and cheap!), I'd be willing to send the person that got me hooked-up a couple loaves of my famous banana bread!! Or, maybe brownies? Wink

Thanks for reading this really long-winded post...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy shows/movies from U-Verse DVR to external hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy shows/movies from U-Verse DVR to external hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now, brownies sounds good!
by ahtoi / July 19, 2010 5:06 PM PDT

Personally I have never done it but I don't think it's too hard. All you need is a dvd recorder (under $100 easily) and lots of discs (depends on on how good you want the video to look); 1hr/disc, or 2hr/disc or 4hr. etc. mine can go up to 8 hours. Never use it..probably looks awful at 8hr. I come back with more detail after I try it.

Collapse -
Thanks, but want to transfer files instead of 100's of dvds
by rluckw / July 20, 2010 6:34 AM PDT

now, I REALLY don't want to (nor have time to) record everything onto DVD - would take weeks.... and I just don't have $ to purchase a dvd recorder & lots of dvd-r's... Sad ...I'd see this as an absolute last resort.
I was really hoping to be able to transfer the files. Is this possible, and how??

Collapse -
Macrovision encrypted
by Pepe7 / July 21, 2010 12:41 AM PDT

I believe you are SOL. Please see the following thread @ att.

More and more such recorded content is encrypted as a mandate to help protect copyright of the producers/owners. There is a reference to using a Grex device/hooking up a VCR and or DVD recorder, but you may run into copyright protection for those devices as well.

There's another site called which has some very interesting discussions about the various DVRs and how one might move content around. Worth a read perhaps.

Collapse -
invalid link
by sixpackin / February 3, 2013 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Macrovision encrypted

This link does not work. I understand its been 929 days since you have posted this, but, maybe a new one?

Collapse -
I was going to try dumping the dvr contents into ...
by ahtoi / July 21, 2010 3:05 AM PDT

my computer but unfortunately I was not able to do so because I could not see the harddrive on my cable box. The reason is probably because I didn't subscribe to the dvr service (I have Time Warner). My guess is that..there are no easy solution, sorry.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / July 22, 2010 1:36 AM PDT

It's because the drive/cable box unit is encrypted to not be readable externally in most cases. There was a loophole way back with some of the Comcast issued Motorola HD-DVR boxes where you could use firewire to export unprotected content to a PC with a very simple software driver & application. Beyond that, everything else was 5C encrypted, I believe.

Collapse -
I am able to record from the box,
by ahtoi / July 22, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost

it's just not from the internal harddrive. I do it through the composite connection only. Not try any hi-def program yet. Probably won't work.

Collapse -
transfer uverse to dvd
by dbart59 / September 14, 2010 6:08 AM PDT

has anyone tried using dvdfab, it removes all, all encryption, awesome software. Just need to marry it up with everything else.

Collapse -
Will this work?
by normr1 / April 21, 2012 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: transfer uverse to dvd

I read in another thread somewhere that someone was successful using a Hauppage DVR, so I bought one from Best Buy and I'm gonna try it tonight, I'll let you know of I'm successful.

Collapse -
Need to Know
by rickrog / June 15, 2012 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Will this work?

Did it work?

Collapse -
Will this work
by mhed3292 / August 7, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Will this work?

I was wondering if using a Hauppage DVR worked for you?

Collapse -
U-Verse to hard drive
by BNesson / October 20, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

Did anyone respond with a good a solution yet. I'm eager to try.

Collapse -
(NT) Links dead, old thread. This discussion is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 4:30 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.