Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Copy program file to root of USB flash drive

by Janine1919 / February 26, 2011 11:02 AM PST

I need to copy a program's license (plain text)file to the root of a USB flash drive(not in a folder). What steps do I need to take ? Should I copy and paste the name of the file over the drive name so that the E:/ is no longer there, or should I paste it after E:/(license file name here) ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy program file to root of USB flash drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy program file to root of USB flash drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Just drag and drop to the right place.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2011 7:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Copy to root of flash drive
by Janine1919 / February 26, 2011 8:55 PM PST

Thanks for the quick response, I'm just not sure what the right place is.

- Should the drive name still be showing (E:/) ?
- Or should the file name be listed after the forward slash?

Sorry... I'd just try it but I'm trying to avoid ruining a flash drive or using up a license doing it the wrong way.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Can you tell us more?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2011 9:50 PM PST

Is this a 'requirement' of this program that you place a copy of the license to a flash drive? If so, tell us more about this program, what is it, and where this instruction is.

To be truthful I don't see why it would be necessary to do this, and in particular to saving it to the Root Directory.

What Operating System are you using?

In Windows, the Windows installation is usually installed on the C:\ drive in a folder called "Windows". This C:\ drive is called the Root Directory. If you are using Windows you can check your own Root Directory by using Windows Explorer, (My Computer will do), and highlighting the C drive. That will list all folders and files stored on the Root Directory.

So, if you connect up a Flash Drive to the computer and explore its contents, you will see the drive given a drive letter by Windows, (E:\ seems right, but all systems are different), and will see what folders and files are already stored on it. The Root Directory for the flash drive will be E:\ so all you need to do is copy, or drag and drop, that file directly onto the E drive.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Program & License info
by Janine1919 / February 27, 2011 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Can you tell us more?

Thanks for your time Mark and Kees. Sending the program and instruction info below.

I got Messiah Studio 5 on a promo offer I found on Deal News (for my nephew). It's an animation software. To use the program on multiple Windows PCs, it says I need to save the license in the root of a flash drive. It specifically states to use the root, and not a folder.

I copied the instructions below. #9 indicates I need to copy to the root of the flash drive. The last sentence basically says with Windows I can move the program and license between machines.

1. Install messiahStudio 32bit version first; then once your license is working, if you purchased PRO and are on Windows, you can install the 64bit version. Download from Download menu at Use the full version installs link.
2. Make sure your USB flash drive is plugged in. Do not use an SD card, and plug it directly into the machine; NOT through a hub
3. Run messiahStudio - You'll either get an error and or it will bring up a small Client License Utility window, where you can Choose your drive and generate an ID.
4. Choose your USB flash from the file list.(You should recognize it from it's name or drive letter)
5. Press the button to generate the ID.
6. Highlight the ID and copy and paste it into the Client ID field in the Licenses section below.
7. Click the Generate License button.
8. Copy License text, and paste into a text file that you will name: messiah_license.txt (this file must be a plain text format file).
9. If you are locking to a USB flash drive, Place this file in the root (Not in a folder) of your USB flash drive.

If you locked to the windows local hardrive (Windows OS only), place this file in the root (Not in a folder) of your local drive. (c: etc)

Once your license file is on your drive, you can move that drive to any machine with same OS, to run the software there; As long as the software is also installed on that machine. (On Windows, you can actually run the software straight from the USB flash if you copy the pmG over to it)

Thanks again !

Collapse -
I see, and thank you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 28, 2011 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Program & License info

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Copying this file to the root directory of a flash drive is very simple.

If you connect the flash drive to a USB port, does a window open asking what you want to do with this drive? If so, select the option which shows folders and files. if not, goto My Computer, (called just Computer in Vista and Win 7), and open that. it should list your flash drive with a drive letter. You mention E, so I assume this is the letter that Windows assigns to this drive.

Highlight E:\ and the very first thing you see is the 'contents of E:\' With E highlighted still, drag the file to it and release. The file is then on the root directory of E:\.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Re: root of flash drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2011 9:56 PM PST

The filename should be showing in the right pane in Windows Explorer when you select the e:-drive in the left pane.
Just like any other folder. There's nothing special about the root folder. All folders when selected in the left pane show their contents in the right pane. That can be subfolders and files.

Copying a file to somewhere on a drive never ruins the drive. And if the file is in the wrong place it won't be read so you won't use the license.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.