Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Newbies

General discussion

Copy a whole folder or copy individual files to Jumpdrive?

by NorthBeachnik / December 16, 2007 6:20 AM PST

I'm transferring a 380,000kb of files from a Lenovo 3000 N100 Windows XP SP2 laptop to an HP Pavilion 9410 Vista laptop. There are some MS Office Suite and PDF files as well as a few photos. Mostly, though, the files consist of 1KB Internet shortcuts, saved to the desktop.

I'm copying the files onto a 1Gig jumpdrive and from there copying them onto the HP, at first into a desktop folder on that machine. (Later on I'll open the files and either file them into directories or save them as bookmarks under different categories which thankfully already exist on the HP as all my old files and bookmarks were transferred from my previous Dell to my new HP).

My question: Can I just copy the FOLDER from the Lenovo to the jumpdrive and then from the jumpdrive to the HP desktop?

Or must I copy the individual files one by one from the Lenovo onto the jumpdrive and then copy them one by one to the HP? There are several hundred files and I dread the thought of having to do this but I have to turn in the machine minus these files to my former client.

Thanks in advance for your anzwer to this very basic question.

Alex
"Life seemed easier in the days of DOS..."

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy a whole folder or copy individual files to Jumpdrive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy a whole folder or copy individual files to Jumpdrive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: how to copy.
by Kees Bakker / December 16, 2007 6:30 AM PST

Copying (by drag and drop, for example) the folder will work perfectly. Copying to a USB-drive is no different from copying to any other drive.

But it's different from copying to a (new) subfolder on the same drive.

On the same drive, drag and drop is move and to copy you need to press ctrl.
To another drive, drag and drop is copy and to move you need to press ctrl. Don't do that! Just copy and only delete afterwards if everything is safely on a backup again.

Kees
Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for replying!
by NorthBeachnik / December 16, 2007 4:27 PM PST
In reply to: Re: how to copy.

The copying to the jump drive went just fine. I'm sure the copying to the HP will sork smoothly too. Thanks, Kees!

Alex

Collapse -
Re: "Life seemed easier in the days of DOS..."
by Edward ODaniel / December 16, 2007 7:07 AM PST

The command line still works so if you were more comfortable in DOS go ahead and make use of the command line for the file or directory copy just as you would have in DOS with the caveat that if the path contains spaces enclose the full path in quotes ...

For example:

copy E:\myfiles "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop"

Collapse -
Thanks - Re: "Life seemed easier in the days of DOS..."
by NorthBeachnik / December 16, 2007 4:32 PM PST

Thanks for your reply. I haven't used the command prompt much lately. Maybe once this year. I believe i read somewhere that many of the old commands are no longer valid. Mostly because those actions can be achieved in other ways with Windows, but I beleive some were also just eliminated. Anyway, I need to relearn a few commands. I needed to run chkdsk the other day on my client's computer (XP SP2) and it took me forever to figure out where it was. I could have run it on a dozen computers in that time using just the command prompt.

Alex

Collapse -
Very few commands were "eliminated" ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 17, 2007 11:10 AM PST

and as a matter of fact there are more new ones available than were elininated.

Here is a quick reference to the commands list for XP -
Command-line reference A-Z
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds.mspx?mfr=true

Some such as "Batch Files" in that list actually list additional commands to be used in batch files while others such as "Command Shell Overview" list syntax, command processing symbols (handy for listing multiple commands on a single line among other things), and environment variables available for use in commands.

Unavailable DOS commands are:
The following MS-DOS commands are not available at the command prompt.

Command New procedure or reason for obsolescence
assign Not supported in Windows

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.