Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Copper.net = LEAD BALOON

by Integrity / March 26, 2009 1:32 PM PDT

Think Copper.net is a real bargain. I initially did because it does not require a contract, its LOOOWWWW 6 month initial pricing, its integrated free support, and its file compression accelerator software. It functions well for a while before it slows dramatically and eventually freezes my FireFox Browser.
Their child support team indicated I MUST shutoff BOTH my FIREWALL and MY RESIDENT VIRUS PROTECTION just to download their accelerator software. Naturally I did NOT adhere to their advice, and in fact, after I installed the accelerator and got it working, my "A squared" malware program detected a high risk TROJAN was installed in the COPPER high speed PROGRAM FILE FOLDER.
I had Net Zero without the accelerator software and it was by far faster, most of the time, and more reliable than the Copper.net with high speed. I also had Juno and it was comparable to Net Zero. The one possibility I have not tried yet is to see if I require a firmware update for my modem. Their ******** child support team did NOT suggest this, but it appears like a logical troubleshooting possibility. I am certainly happy, at least, that I do not have a contract commitment associated with COPPER, so if the response does NOT get up to PAR by the end of my first month evaluation, I shall drop it like a bad habit, without a contract penality.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copper.net = LEAD BALOON
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copper.net = LEAD BALOON
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Trial Review Update
by Integrity / July 4, 2009 4:54 AM PDT

I have almost completed my 6 month evaluation of my newly established Copper.net ISP. I therefore believe this forum deserves an update at this time. On a scale of 0 to 10,. [Given that average is 6], my overall experienced rating would be a 3, only because I firmly believe there are probably worse ISP's out there.

On the PROS side of the equation:
The 6 month Trial cost is about $5/mo for regular & about $7.50/mo for compressed file High Speed service, that includes unlimited service with unlimited Windows support.
A service commitment contract is not required.
Received only 2 busy dial-up signals in the trial duration.
Obtained telephone support services in a timely manner after getting through their menus.

On the CONS side of the equation:
The initially given dial-up number received a server error during the entire trial.
Received server error messages during dial-up on a few other phone numbers.
Although initial net transmission throughput was good it deteriorated at various times, resulting transmission stoppage.
Hang-up and subsequent redial-up was required to reestablish net transmission, [surfing].
Repeated , well over 6, service attempts did NOT solve the transmission throughput problem, and 3 different recommended modem initialization string additions, only FROZE UP my Win XP Operating System, so that my only recourse was to depress the POWER OFF SWITCH, to reestablish XP operation.
Frequent interruptions with the following MESSAGE: The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. This sometimes requires REDIAL-UP.
The Copper.net bandwidth meter appears to display incorrect information. When it depicts I am connected 48Kbs and downloading at about 6KB/s, my download manager and some malware up-daters indicate I am downloading at only about 4KB/s.
I found that now I am actually getting better overall system response by un-installing the Copper HS software.

Synopsis:
My requirements for an Internet connection are threefold; Accurate, Repeatable, and Dependable.
My observation is that Copper.net software in conjunction with its servers, does NOT provide a DEPENDABLE INTERNET CONNECTION. My further observation is that Copper.net does NOT have adequate support to assist its CUSTOMERS in transmission problems.
Although part, if not all of Copper's problem is probably the Micro$scum OS, since Copper does NOT currently support Linux, [Ubuntu in my case], I do not currently recommend it.

Collapse -
actually
by wolfman7775 / January 19, 2010 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Trial Review Update

I am a current customer with copper.net and i run ubuntu myself. I connect with their service just fine with it. I also run a linux computer with it as well. The only thing they don't do is actually tech support those systems but you can connect with them. Try doing your research a little bit better

Collapse -
Copper.net newbie!
by wmberley_guy / November 7, 2011 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: actually

I have had them 28 days now, I had people pc for 6 years they were awful. Although the tech support is nice and speaks English 9 times out of 10 I can figure it out myself unless I need an access number or some info they know only. i am having a ton of browser issues with fire fox I thought that maybe the version I had was incompatible with Windows XP. I uninstalled the high seed for a while first. Them I changed to an older version 5.0 we'll see how that works. The proxy settings I thought may have been causing issues not sure. But firefox wouldn't load certain common tabs, some would and then wouldn't. Their tech support after a while had no clue. I found myself rebooting a lot, and running netsh cmds. to clear stuff under the run tab...like winsock reset log, flush dns that sort of thing. I didn't have to do this stuff before I got copper .net Bu tI also clicked on a Firefox update that popped up about the same time I started with them. My question is I don't know much about them other then their tech support speaks English. should I ditch the high-speed. I get a good connection speed, always have. If it's not helping why pay extra for it. Interested in suggestions please.

Collapse -
Copper.net newbie! part 2.
by wmberley_guy / November 7, 2011 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Copper.net newbie!

Also I switched to Firefox 5.0! Which version works the best with Windows XP? i don't want too old a version that it's security risk or unsupportable soon. but in the same instance don't want one too advanced that it wont work with XP!
OK that's all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.