Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Coolermaster Elite Power 500w help.

by AlexEvans00122 / March 27, 2013 8:42 AM PDT

I have a quick question about this power supply. I have just ordered an i5 3570 non k along with other gaming basics 8gb of ram etc. I recently brought a coolermaster elite 430 with a elite power 500w power supply.
I am planning on getting either a gtx 660 non ti, a 650 ti boost when that is out, or a 2gb 7770 depending on how far I will be able to stretch my budget. My question is will this power supply be able to run these graphics cards? Or will I have to send this back and get a different one? Later on I will crossfire/SLI and will change the power supply then.

AlexEvans00122 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coolermaster Elite Power 500w help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coolermaster Elite Power 500w help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by AlexEvans00122

Collapse -
Here's how I figure this out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 9:15 AM PDT

I find the usual reviews that tell me what said video cards draw in idle and under load. That's where I look at the power supply and check that any of the rails I want to see no more than 50% of the capacity in use. Sure you can probably push that up to 75 or 80% but as we do that we are eating into the lifespan of the PSU.

Not only that, the usual Amperes and total Watts are only when new and even then tend to be overstated.

-> But those cards are all in the same tier range so I'd not change the card once I got that.,3107-7.html pegs the 7770 lower in the ranking so I'd use this link to find the best for the money.

Collapse -
12v1 and 12v2?
by AlexEvans00122 / March 27, 2013 6:51 PM PDT

The Amps on both of the 12v rails is 20 and I am not sure how to work out if this will support the cards. The wattage should be fine though then.

Collapse -
Round numbers
by bob b / March 27, 2013 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: 12v1 and 12v2?

Yes the psu should work.......but.but.but.

With that split rail design you going to be pushing rail #1 a little.

That psu with its 70% efficiency is not designed for gaming.
If you push that thing for long periods of's going to get hot.

Collapse -
by AlexEvans00122 / March 27, 2013 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Round numbers

Do you think that I should pay the extra £25 plus shipping to get the same case and an a corsair cx500w instead? This would decrease my budget for a graphics card however.

Collapse -
by bob b / March 28, 2013 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: so...

If your going to game your going to be pulling serious power for long periods of time.

You need a psu that can handle that.

We all have a budget to work in.......the psu is not the area to save bucks.
You don't want to see the results when an over worked psu goes wonky.

Collapse -
by AlexEvans00122 / March 28, 2013 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Ok, thanks for your help guys. I will see what i can do and try to get the same case but with a cx500 from corsair instead. Might have to get the 7770 instead but I will probably be better for it. I don't want to dammage any components.

Thanks again, Alex

Collapse -
Imagine if this was a Single 40A rail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: 12v1 and 12v2?

This is why we check Amperes. Your setup is above the 50% mark so it's not going to last more than a few years at best.

There's a reason why you see many advise a single rail PSU.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.