TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Converting VHS tapes to DVD

by plmahlik / December 11, 2006 10:31 AM PST

Can I convert my VHS tapes to DVD by buying a combination DVD and VCR recorder? I was looking at one from Panasonic DMR-EH75VS DVD Recorder / VCR Combo with 80GB Hard Drive, HDMI, SD Card, and DV Input. Would this be the same as using a computer to convert them?

Thanks, Larry

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting VHS tapes to DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting VHS tapes to DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
VHS to DVD I've done...
by Dan Filice / December 11, 2006 1:05 PM PST

The Panasonic combo player/recorder you mention probably will record the tapes, but do some investigation before you buy it. Have you heard of Google? Type in the name and model number of the unit and do a Google search. You will be given many links where you can read specs, reviews, etc., and you can determine if the unit will record VHS directly to DVD.

Part two: Recording DVDs on the combo player is not the same as doing this on a computer. The Panasonic is pretty much of a one-step recording device, and your DVD will contain everything that is on the VHS. If you shot family events on tape, then there is probably 5 minutes of footage of your feet (mine have this), and this will be recorded too. A computer requires a few steps to input and record for a DVD, but the computers big strength is that it uses editing software that allows you to eliminate unwanted footage, then allows you to add transitions, add titles, add more sound, music, voice-over, etc. By the way, if your plan is to record VHS movies onto DVD, most units don't allow this. Buying a $10 DVD of the same movie is much more time and resource effective, and it's way better in quality.

Collapse -
(NT) Dan, I only wish all DVDs were 10 bucks
by NM_Bill / December 12, 2006 1:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Converting VHS to DVD
by plmahlik / December 20, 2006 10:52 PM PST

The Panasonic combination VHS-DVD recorder has a 80g hard drive which can be used for editing. I am not interested in copying VHS movies, just my own family home movies that I have on VHS tape. Does the combination VHS-DVD recorder convert the VHS tapes to digital like the computer would when coping them to the DVD?

Here's the specs for the Panasonic DMR-EH75VS DVD Recorder / VCR Combo with 80GB Hard Drive, HDMI, SD Card, and DV Input

Product Features
DVD recorder with 80 GB hard drive for PVR functionality; measures 16.9 x 2.3 x 13.9 inches (WxHxD)
Up-converts to near high-definition resolution via HDMI; easy one-touch dubbing of DVD to VCR and VCR to DVD (non-copy protected sources)
Records onto DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and DVD-RAM; plays back dual-layer DVD-R/+R and CD-R/RW
Connections: composite (2 in, 1 out), S-Video (2 in, 1 out), component (1 out), HDMI (1 out), RF (1 in, 1 out), Firewire (1 in), SD card slot
Optical digital audio out for Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound

Technical Details

Disc capacity: 1
Progressive scan: Yes
High-definition up-conversion: Yes, via HDMI
VCR capability: Yes
Recording capability: Yes
Recording formats: DVD-R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R/RW, DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM
Playback formats: DVD movie, CD audio, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R/RW, MP3, JPEG
Hard drive: Yes, 80 GB
Hard drive recording capacity: Up to 142 hours
Memory card reader: Yes, Secure Digital
Programmed recording: Yes
One-touch recording: Yes
Transfer from DVD to VHS: Yes
Transfer from VHS to DVD: Yes
On-screen programming guide: Yes, TV Guide
Front-panel operation: Yes
Multi-angle viewing: Yes
Chapter preview: Yes
Custom bookmarks: Yes
Karaoke: No
Multilingual support: Yes
Parental controls: Yes
Picture zoom: No
Play exchange: No
Random play: Yes
Repeat play: Yes
Resume play: Yes
Slow motion: Yes
Frame advance: Yes
Still/freeze frame: Yes
Text display: Yes
Video inputs: 2 composite AV, 2 S-Video, 1 RF, 1 Firewire
Video outputs: 1 composite AV, 1 S-Video, 1 component, 1 HDMI, 1 RF
Audio outputs: Analog, digital optical
Surround-sound output or Virtual surround sound: Dolby Digital and DTS
Headphone jack: No
Item width: 16.9 inches
Item height: 3.3 inches
Item depth: 13.9 inches
Item weight: 15 pounds
Power consumption: 33 watts
Warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
In the box: DVD recorder/hard drive, remote control (with batteries), AV cable, RF cable, power cord, one DVD-RAM disc, printed operating instructions

Collapse -
reply to converting vhs tapes
by Sanford Scholton / December 14, 2006 2:13 AM PST

I have a panasonic DMR ES40V (combo vhs/dvd). It works great. I can manually start taping at any point. So I just throw in my tape, take it to the point I want. hit pause then start the dvd recording. It can also record the whole tape with just the push of one button. It won't copy protected tapes.

Collapse -
Convert VHS to DVD
by mairambija1 / December 20, 2006 9:05 PM PST

visit Convert VHS to DVD and transfer your home video tapes to dvd. You can get a pretty good conversion at a reasonable price from a lot of places. But what are most of these companies lacking? Care and attention to detail! Other ways you get totally amateurish product done with domestic equipment.

Collapse -
VHS to DVD to PC and Edit?
by BML / December 20, 2006 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Convert VHS to DVD

Looking through the web I keyed in, "VHS to DVD to PC and Edit" and found this forum so here goes.
All I want to do is to copy some family VHS tapes to DVDs, edit the rubbish from them and then make copies to give to my children while I am still able to but I am finding it very difficult to get a simply answer to the question, ?what is the best way??

I have managed to get as far as recording some of the VHS tape to DVD discs by connecting a VHS player to a DVD recorder running through a TV. They are finalised, they ran alright on the TV and eventually I discovered how to get the VOB file onto the PC.
In my perfect world there would be a piece of software that would enable me to put the DVD into the PC, click a button and it would make the appropriate changes to the file format, lead me into an editing package that would then burn a DVD that I could copy a number of for my children but life is not perfect so I went onto a couple of forums to ask for advice.

The following suggestions have been made.
Demux the burned dvd's and convert the file to .avi, edit it, and convert it back.
ADS Pyro
ADS Pyro AV/Link with Adobe Premiere Elements
Adobe premiere elements 2 or 3
AVI_IO with my Matrox G400-TV card
Dvd Author:
DVD Decrypter
DVD shrink (free) from:
Magix movie maker
Mpeg Video Wizard
Nero Burning Suite
Pinnacle Studio
Pinnacle Studio product that comes with a capture board.
Pinnacle Studio Titanium Edition
Ulead dream factory
Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5
Ulead MovieFactory 5 plus
Ulead Video Studio 10,
Vegas Movie Studio
Video capture card
WinDVD, PowerDVD to view DVDs on a PC
Wombels MPEG2 software, and edit in MPEG2 format.

So, would anyone care to offer me a sugestion as to which is the best method to do what I have been trying to do?

Collapse -
Transfer and convert VHS to DVD
by danfeiyan18 / January 20, 2011 2:41 PM PST
In reply to: Convert VHS to DVD
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.